PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get update/install broke my 8.04.3 desktop!

cewyattjr
August 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
> sudo apt-get update
>
> sudo apt-get install

So I ran these, and after a reboot startx just throws me to the console in 8.04.3 on my Sony Vaio laptop.

Another symptom is that any sudo apt-get install pkg returns errors like this:

gconftool-2: undefined symbol: g_option_context_set_translation_domain
dkpg: error processing yelp (--contifgure):
subprocess post-installatino script returned error exit status

Thanks for any suggestions... should I reformat and reinstall at this point? Not sure what else to do, but it kinda sucks that an upgrade breaks it. :(

-Chuck

oilchangeguy
August 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
> sudo apt-get update
>
> sudo apt-get install

So I ran these, and after a reboot startx just throws me to the console in 8.04.3 on my Sony Vaio laptop.

Another symptom is that any sudo apt-get install pkg returns errors like this:

gconftool-2: undefined symbol: g_option_context_set_translation_domain
dkpg: error processing yelp (--contifgure):
subprocess post-installatino script returned error exit status

Thanks for any suggestions... should I reformat and reinstall at this point? Not sure what else to do, but it kinda sucks that an upgrade breaks it. :(

-Chuck

probably the best thing to do is to back up any data, and do a fresh install. and this time let ubuntu tell you when updates are available. there's no need to do manual updates.

cewyattjr
August 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks oilchangeguy!

I wonder if there is a way to reinstall the OS that doesn't require me to repartition and rewrite the boot sector. I'm installed on a laptop with a grub dual boot w/Vista.

-Chuck

king metal
September 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I had this exact same thing happen after updating, so this may be a bug in one of the packages.

And Synaptic is just a GUI for apt. It doesn't matter if you use apt to do the updates manually or let synaptic do them automatically.