PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree that OneNote is the best note-taking application?

wersdaluv
August 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
One of the reasons why I had a hard time moving from windows to Ubuntu before is OneNote. I just stumbled upon this Lifehacker article (http://http://lifehacker.com/399556/five-best-notetaking-tools) and it reminded me of the application that I always loved.

When I moved to Linux, I wasn't really considering virtualization. I found Basket Note Pads (http://http://basket.kde.org/) and it served as a OneNote alternative for me. After a while, I stopped using basked and I just settled with Tomboy notes since I am a GNOME user and Tomboy works better for me because it's much lighter and is more integrated with my DE.

When I compare Tomboy with OneNote, I think of the OneNote's many features that Tomboy doesn't. OneNote might not have those wiki-style links but it is much more powerful. You can put multimedia on your notes, the presentation of notes is much better, etc.

Do you think that OneNote is the best note-taking application?

Canis familiaris
August 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
AFAIK OneNote is for Professionals and Note Making enthusiasts and Tomboy is for personal use.
So I am not sure that OneNote is the best note making app for everyone.

Barrucadu
August 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I prefer Zim for taking notes, though I don't take many. OpenOffice, Emacs and/or LaTeX are also good alternatives for me :)

Anzan
August 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Try takenote.

http://rasm.ods.org/takenote/

Hire
August 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I use nano: plain and fast to use :)

LaRoza
August 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
OneNote is a very nice app, however, it is very feature rich and its usefullness if offset by its size, complexity and cost. For just note taking, it is way over kill, but it is a very good app.

I use the terminal and redirect echo's to files and cat and pipe into grep when I need to read them.

helliewm
August 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Take Note looks brilliant. Very easy to compile. Thanks for this. Looks like a cross between Tomboy and Basket Notes. Just what I needed.

Helen

Anzan
August 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
You're welcome, helliewm.

It [takenote] allows insertion of images and on and on.

It's also easy to set hotkeys.

Swarms
August 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Looks great!
But how do I use it? I can install and launch it alright, but what can I do from there?

If I click New Notebook, I get a browser open to find something and press "New", I don't know what that something is and if I just press new nothing happens.

71CH
August 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I think I installed takenote ok but how do I launch it?

Anzan
August 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Looks great!
But how do I use it? I can install and launch it alright, but what can I do from there?

If I click New Notebook, I get a browser open to find something and press "New", I don't know what that something is and if I just press new nothing happens.

Within the notebook you can create a new page (note) under the menu or with CTL N.

Take a look under options and set up the applications you want it to use for screenshots, images, and so on.

In fact, just take a look around.

I'm still learning it, really.

Anzan
August 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think I installed takenote ok but how do I launch it?

Well, you can lauch it from the terminal:

path/to/where/it/is/takenote&

For example:
/home/you/bin/takenote&

Or create a launcher in GNOME.

I've set it up in my Fluxbox menu and keys

71CH
August 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
When I type 'takenote' in terminal I get this:

TakeNote: Thu Aug 28 12:06:25 2008
aspell: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".

Does that mean I have to install some dependencies? I installed everything that the website said to install. Thanks.

wersdaluv
August 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Takenote is just something like Notecase. Basket has better features but this one is lighter. I still prefer Tomboy, though.

rasmusmit
August 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Looks great!

Hi Swams, I'm the author of TakeNote. Sorry if the New Notebook dialog isn't as straight forward as it could be. From your description, I think you need to specify the name of your new notebook and THEN click "New". In the next version, I could set a default notebook name in order to avoid this confusion. Let me know if specifying a notebook name solves the issue.

Matt

71CH
August 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
NVM got it working :)

71CH
August 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Is there a tutorial or something I can use for takenote? It's a bit confusing...

Swarms
August 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Swams, I'm the author of TakeNote. Sorry if the New Notebook dialog isn't as straight forward as it could be. From your description, I think you need to specify the name of your new notebook and THEN click "New". In the next version, I could set a default notebook name in order to avoid this confusion. Let me know if specifying a notebook name solves the issue.

Matt

Ahh that was the trick, thank you very much! :)

hessiess
August 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
personaly I use openoffice, gedit, geany, vim, nano .....

basicly whatever I feel like using at that point in time.

helliewm
August 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
At terminal or right click on Applications at the very top of the menu. It will say EDIT MENUS you can add it to your menus. The command for both the terminal and if you are adding it to your Menu is takenote.

Helen

rasmusmit
August 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Is there a tutorial or something I can use for takenote? It's a bit confusing...
TakeNote is fairly new, so I haven't developed a tutorial yet. But that is a good idea. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just send them my way rasmus[at]mit[dot]edu.

wersdaluv
August 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Matt
Hey! Why should I use Takenote instead of Tomboy (if I should)? Are there features that it has that Tomboy doesn't? Also, can you make debs for that? It would be cool if it's in the repositories.

71CH
August 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
This is going to make me sound really stupid but I'm going to ask it anyway. I understand how to add notebook and folder and page but how do I open the page to actually type something on it and take notes? :)

rasmusmit
August 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hey! Why should I use Takenote instead of Tomboy (if I should)? Are there features that it has that Tomboy doesn't? Also, can you make debs for that? It would be cool if it's in the repositories.
AFAIK, TomBoy has a lot features and is a very stable note-taking app, although I have never used it. I was a Basket (another good app) user for a year before writing TakeNote. The main features that I needed for my research note-taking was (1) Image support and (2) scaling to a large number of notes. So these are the most implemented features so far.

TakeNote has inline images in notes. There are also minor features like image scaling and launching image viewers and editors. My favorite feature from Basket was integrated screenshot which I use to include things from web sites, figures from PDFs I'm reading, and plots that I generate in my work. This feature is also in TakeNote.

I find the combination of the hierarchical treeview and the listview (see screenshot site http://rasm.ods.org/takenote) allows one to view a large number of notes at once. Think of interface just like a traditional email client. This is a feature I haven't seen elsewhere. I also do a lot of little things to help cope with large notebooks: the collapse state of the tree is saved and the sorting of the listview is saved per folder. So in my own notebook, I have a folder with reference tips on frequently used unix-commands sorted alphabetically and I have some folders that act like a journal with hundreds of notes sorted by creation date. In the journal example, the listview becomes very handy, because trying to represent a folder with a long list of notes in the treeview alone would be very cumbersome.

I mainly made TakeNote to satisfy my own needs, but hopefully others will find it useful as well. I'm always curious to hear feedback on what others think of it.

helliewm
August 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Rasmusmit-. I am always doing research for my Campaign see link in my signature. I have used Takenote this afternoon and am extremely impressed. I usually hop between Tomboy and Basketnotes depending on what I am doing. I am a big gnome fan too kde just does not cut for me.

Takenote is great its brilliant for research notes yes you have hit it just right for people like me who do a lot research Its seems from what you said that is why you developed it. It would be could if you could get in the Ubuntu repositories.

Many thanks I will be using it all the time its great.

Helen

cardinals_fan
August 29th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I use NoteCase.