PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] "you do not have permission to access this page"

insanity54
August 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I have been trying to reply to posts recently, and I seem to get this reacurring error every time I attempt to do so. "you do not have permission to access this page..."

This Thread is partially a test to see if I can post at all.

I am assuming that the error happens because the threads I try to post into are too old. Usually I try and reply to threads that I find from google.

***Edit***

It seems that ubuntuforums.com doesn't hate me as I first suspected. I am able to post this which leads me to think that it was in fact an outdated thread, and posting in it would be inappropriate and counter-productive.

Thank you for your patience with me!

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
well it depends if the topic has been closed off or not.

Canis familiaris
August 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Are you trying to reply in the archives?

If you are, Dont Worry. Neither can I nor can any non-moderator and non-admin.

Jamie Lokier
November 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
It seems strange that a thread with posts just 5 months old is set to prevent replies. Is this intentional? It makes sense in a conversational newsgroup to keep things topical, but I think that's a bit quick for a long-running technical support forum.

I'm thinking of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561303
which was started on 2007-09-27 but the most recent posts, which I want to reply to, are 2008-06-28.

Is the archiving logic using the start date of each thread to decide that a thread is old, when it should perhaps use the date of the most recent post, so that threads don't get cut off suddenly?

Cheers,

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
It seems strange that a thread with posts just 5 months old is set to prevent replies. Is this intentional? It makes sense in a conversational newsgroup to keep things topical, but I think that's a bit quick for a long-running technical support forum.

Is the archiving logic using the start date of each thread to decide that a thread is old, when it should perhaps use the date of the most recent post, so that threads don't get cut off suddenly?

Cheers,

The archive is read only. This is not a policy of the forum to have old threads read only, but a result of a rather important forum upgrade which changed the software and the database format, leading to all the old threads not being compatible with the new forum software. They were somewhat compatible, but they lacked the features of the new forum.

The archive was open for a while for replies then was made read only after a few months.