PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Vanishing Network Connection.

Ninjahedge
August 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first venture into the land of Linux/Ubuntu.

When I first installed, I had no real problem (other than not being used to the equivalent of a VERY heavy Irish or Australian accent when you THOUGHT you knew english!)

Anyway, something strange happened. I shut down, moved the machine to another room, and set to work on it today.

Well. First off, it seems to have made up a password for KWallet, or whatever its full name is. I tried every common PW I have ever used to no avail, including blank.

So, I went online, where I found someone that recommended deleting the wallet file (again, forgive me for not remembering the exact name... :( ) I deleted it.

Sure enough, it wanted to start things back up again when I ran Network Manager.

But something strange started happening. I had no device listed under the login. It also was not giving me any information on what networks were available to connect to.

I looked online, but all I saw were menu strings like "Settings->Administration" that I could not find to save my life.

So, I have given up, and put the XP disk in to delete the partition on the HD to try and re-install Kubuntu.

(I tried finding "uninstall Kubuntu", but I could not find a direct link through Google...). I reset the partition, reinserted the Kubuntu disk and tried to install it fresh from the start.

But now I am getting messages like "[69.085789] ata1.00: failed to set xfermode (err=mask=0x40)"

Any clue what the heck is going on?

:confused:

BTW, I am installing XP fully and I hope to be able to try again once it is on and I boot with the same disk I did the first Ubuntu install on....

I have no clue what could have made this thing have so many problems....

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, I do not want to give up after only a few days trying.....