PDA

View Full Version : Cool applications you use for/in college that others might not know of

MrSootentai
August 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
In keeping in line with this original thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=382137&highlight=basket+note+qt&page=120) I wanted to see what others out there are using to keep his or her college life organized and kept together with Ubuntu (or just any distro in general).
But to make this all easier let's just try to keep it simple, so people can search through the list easier if they want to get some ideas...

Majoring In: Computer Science (First year)

Basket Note Pads[office]
(sudo apt-get install basket)
It's pretty fan-freaking-tastic I must say. I just started using it 20 minutes ago and know for a fact that it will become a standard in my work load. I used to use folders and OpenOffice Writer to organize my work/ideas but this is so much more professional.

Gimp 2.5 Unstable[graphics]
(http://tinyurl.com/5n75jl)
Great Photoshop alternative, and I use the 2.5 Unstable version because it just seems to load faster and works better than the old 2.4 version.

OpenOffice.org Suite[office]
Can't live without this really. I use Writer as the main word editor and the entire suite is just a perfect add-on to the system. I was going to get that "Ultimate Steal" offer from Micr$oft but decided against it, I'd rather stay open source.

Geany[programming]
(sudo apt-get install geany)
I was taking an AP Computer Science class in high school, and this app saved my life. Fast, efficient, and just works. Great thing too it programs so many different languages that I need.

pt123
August 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Zim Wiki is great for organising notes and doesn't have ugly colours of Basket Note

frup
August 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I suppose you could add r and octave in.

zxscooby
August 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Scorched Earth 3d

slmouradian
August 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
LyX is a latex frontend. Best for writing report

Nepherte
August 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Student Engineer in Computer Science - Electronics Engineering

Matlab - [Mathematics]
Description: MATLABŪ is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
Notes: Commercial Software. Unfortunately there's not a decent free alternative available.

Maple - [Mathematics]
Description: Maple provides an advanced, high performance mathematical computation engine with fully integrated numerics & symbolics, all accessible from a WYSIWYG technical document environment. Live math is expressed in its natural 2D typeset notation, state-of-the-art graphics and animations with full document editing and presentation control.
Notes: Commercial Software. Unfortunately there's not a decent free alternative available.

NS Simulator - [Computer Network Modelling]
Description: Ns-2 is a discrete event simulator targeted at networking research. Ns-2 provides substantial support for simulation of TCP, routing, and multicast protocols over wired and wireless (local and satellite) networks
Notes: Installation instructions can be found here: http://wouter.horre.be/node/76

Eclipse - [Programming]
Description: Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle
Notes: Excellent for java developping. Eclipse is in the repositories.

Kile - [Office]
Description: Excellent latex editor. Great for scientific articles and reports.
Notes: Kile is in the repositories.

Freemind
Description: Brainstorm / Mind mapping software
Notes: Freemind is in the repositories

shifty2
August 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Org mode - www.orgmode.org
A brilliant piece of software. It is a *very* powerful mode for emacs. Once you use it, you will use it for everything. Think of it as a note taking, planning and document producing system in one.

Auctex
The only way to produce latex? Certainly kile/any other program has never come close for me.

Gnuplot

Abras
September 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
I just discovered Zim a few days ago and already it's been a big help. For some reason I seem to be more productive when working in a very structured system like Zim's. It's a bit simplistic for some people's tastes mind you, so BasKet is better for them. They might also want to try Takenote.

I hope this thread stays alive. It's always nice to have new programs to try out, and when they're for school I actually feel productive :)

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
For school computers:

http://www.kejut.com/operaportable
http://portableapps.com/

krissybee14
September 3rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
I use open office... For school papers reports and other stuffs.

tdrusk
September 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
java, geany, openoffice, google, gmail

Pretty simple.

venator260
September 3rd, 2008, 05:17 AM
As a History/Social Studies Education major, it's just Open Office for me. For a stats class I did have to use ies4linux to do homework on the book's website (MyMathLab).

david_lynch
September 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
In addition to the other progs posted, I found the following useful:

nasm (masm syntax, enabled me to do my assembly language class in linux)
mono (enabled me to write and run my c# programs on linux)
xsp (enabled me to run my asp pages on linux)

Those 3 programs in particular, and all the other linux tools in general, kept me from ever having to deal with a ******* peecee while getting my BS in CompSci from good old Cal State U.

nvikram
September 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Scite - I can't even count how many languages this thing can program.

sudo apt-get install scite

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
you folks all programmers?