PDA

View Full Version : Good Media Player/Organizer?

Tindytim
August 28th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I'm used to using Window Media Player 11, and I have to say it's the best music player I've used (with K-lite of course).

I've use Juk a little and I have to say that I hate it. All of the Media Players/Organizers I've found on synaptic have sucked. I'd like to be able to use something where I can easily select an Album or Artist I'd like to listen to in my library, and play the track in order.

Any one know of a good player for me?

SomeGuyDude
August 28th, 2008, 03:46 AM
If you're looking for full-featured, then check out Amarok/Exaile/Banshee. That's your holy three.

pt123
August 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Amarok/Exaile/Banshee.

I prefer Rhythmbox to all three. Lot more user friendly. Drag n Drop covers, one click ratings.

jmate24
August 28th, 2008, 04:18 AM
banshee is a little tricky with media players. (i know i use banshee and have a media player)

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I highly recommend Amarok or Exaile. You may also be interested in Songbird (still in development).

mister_k81
August 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I prefer Rhythmbox to all three. Lot more user friendly. Drag n Drop covers, one click ratings.

Yeah, I prefer using Rythmbox too, since it has a nice easy to use interface and it's light on resources. My only problem with it, is that it lacks an equalizer.

The latest version of Songbird (http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird) is pretty good, and there is also Quod Libet (http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/), which might be worth looking into.

Tindytim
August 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Trying Amarok at the moment. It's much better than Rythmbox to me. But that has to do with some of the Rap albums I have, with various artists being attributed to to songs on a single album.

I'll Install Exaile next, then check out Songbird.

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM
The term "good" is subjective, I personally think WMP11 sucks

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Rhythmbox has no equalizer. Amarok has to load extra qt libraries at startup( which takes a while) I would go with Exaile it solves both these problems.

Bakon Jarser
August 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Rythmbox is way too simplistic. A sound player that has about two options for sound in preferences. You can't even pick between oss, alsa, and pulseaudio. Amarok is pretty good, but Winamp is about the only thing I miss about windows.

wolfen69
August 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
i just lost 35,000 songs. i'm not too worried, but it is definitely a lesson learned.

i actually feel free now. it was alot of work to maintain and expand my collection. phew! i still had 10,000 or so songs backed up on dvd's of my favorite stuff. in the end i didnt lose much. most of what i had anyway fell on deaf ears.

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Rythmbox is way too simplistic. A sound player that has about two options for sound in preferences. You can't even pick between oss, alsa, and pulseaudio. Amarok is pretty good, but Winamp is about the only thing I miss about windows.

Have you tried audacious?
Its pretty close to winamp.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Why aren't you using XMMS or Audacious then? They're like winamp 2.x, and you can even use winamp 2.x skins. I use Audacious, because It's got a really good equalizer and it's not Qt like Amarok.

Bakon Jarser
August 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Audacious doesn't cut it. No media library and another feature is missing. You can make it go int a thin line like winamp did but you can't stretch it out. to cover most of the screen. I could make winampcover my entire title bar and make it always on top so I could browse the web and still easily see which song was playing, how much time was left, and easily change songs.

rockerphil
August 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM
i personally like to use VLC, it has a clean interface and is fully functional while remaining lightweight, with plenty of skins to download.

karellen
August 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
i just lost 35,000 songs. i'm not too worried, but it is definitely a lesson learned.

i actually feel free now. it was alot of work to maintain and expand my collection. phew! i still had 10,000 or so songs backed up on dvd's of my favorite stuff. in the end i didnt lose much. most of what i had anyway fell on deaf ears.

how or why did you lose them?

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Audacious doesn't cut it. No media library and another feature is missing. You can make it go int a thin line like winamp did but you can't stretch it out. to cover most of the screen. I could make winampcover my entire title bar and make it always on top so I could browse the web and still easily see which song was playing, how much time was left, and easily change songs.

what about winamp in wine? It worked pretty well last time I checked.

Gerontius
August 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It would be awesome to see Foobar2000 ported to linux... or Media Monkey - twose two players surpass anything available (although Amarok comes pretty close)

Latest version of Songbird is nice, but pretty sluggish (compared to Rhythmbox, Quod Libet and especially Sonata)

When using linux, i mostly use Sonata/MPD combination to listen to music - it's fast, lightweight and very intuitive (although i HATE the fact that v 1.5 has no album view, but genre view - album view should be back in 1.5.3)

Trail
August 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Amarok is very very clearly a winrar for me.

If you intent to use it, make sure you form a collection. Also check out the moodbar, last.fm integration, cover manager, etc.

Skorzen
August 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Yeah, Rhythmbox also fits my needs.

wolfen69
August 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
how or why did you lose them?

i was transferring a debian iso to a flash drive and used the "dd" command to do it. i chose the wrong path/to/file. i didnt listen to most of it anyway. but i will be more careful in the future.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Rhythmbox has no equalizer. Amarok has to load extra qt libraries at startup( which takes a while) I would go with Exaile it solves both these problems.

But Exaile's equalizer doesn't really work. Apparently it's the fault of gstreamer. If it did, I'd be using Exaile, because I love the interface.

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
But Exaile's equalizer doesn't really work. Apparently it's the fault of gstreamer. If it did, I'd be using Exaile, because I love the interface.

My eq works fine. What version did you use? How long ago was it?

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
My eq works fine. What version did you use? How long ago was it?

I'm using 2.13 on arch, and I've used the same version on Ubuntu 8.04 and had the same problem. The EQ doesn't make any changes to the sound, and it distorts flac files. Maybe it will be fixed on 0.3?

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm using 2.13 on arch, and I've used the same version on Ubuntu 8.04 and had the same problem. The EQ doesn't make any changes to the sound, and it distorts flac files. Maybe it will be fixed on 0.3?

Ive got the new version, and the eq works fine now

sgf
August 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM

That may be true, but audacious has very good global hotkeys support (better than any other linux mp3 players I have used). This means you can have hotkeys to control Audacious's playback. You can also bind a hotkey to toggle the on-screen-display to show the track title, and/or bind a hotkey to make the main window come into focus (even if it is currently located on another workspace; it will be brought to the current workspace).

also you could perhaps check out my own mp3 library program:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5682611#post5682611
:)

SomeGuyDude
August 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM
When using linux, i mostly use Sonata/MPD combination to listen to music - it's fast, lightweight and very intuitive (although i HATE the fact that v 1.5 has no album view, but genre view - album view should be back in 1.5.3)

Sonata wins all, far as I'm concerned.

treehouse
August 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
mpd + ncmpc + easytag

SomeGuyDude
August 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
By the way, does anyone know how to install Sonata 1.5 in Hardy? I'm using 1.4.2 and nothing I do will help.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
^^ You could compile it.

Ive got the new version, and the eq works fine now

Well 0.2.13 is the latest stable version. Are you using the development version?

I really like mpd + sonata, but I can't live without an equalizer. Hopefully mpd gets one eventually.

SomeGuyDude
August 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
^^ You could compile it.

Sure, I could.

Oh wait, I've been trying that and I'm dependency hell with an error that looks like this:

copying build/scripts-2.5/sonata -> /usr/bin
changing mode of /usr/bin/sonata to 755
running install_data
error: can't copy 'mo/de/sonata.mo': doesn't exist or not a regular file

And now I can't use Sonata at all, because I get THIS error:

crew@crew-laptop:~$ sonata
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/sonata", line 47, in <module>
app = sonata.Base()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Base'

Fan-focking-tastic.

tbroderick
August 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Fan-focking-tastic.

If you are using hardy, try here:

https://launchpad.net/~pcastellazzi/+archive

Not sure if it works as I don't use sonata.

Chrisclap
July 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
You should try moovida it works nicely for me.
No need for codecs ect....

Peace

http://www.moovida.com (http://www.moovida.com/):popcorn:

SlugSlug
July 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I used to use the old amarok - but now its Exaile for me - love the dynamic playlist and the contol buttons addon for the systray

cb951303
July 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
banshee for me.
only thing I miss is the "folder watch" feature but it's being worked on.
IMHO banshee's smart playlist is an awesome concept.