PDA

View Full Version : Input please

Lord Xeb
August 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I want to sell a computer, but I need to write what Linux Mint is and make it so that people are not scared off. Here is what I have so far:

What is Linux Mint:

Linux Mint is free Ubuntu based Operating System with ease-of-use in mind. It supplies you with an office suite that allows one to do word processing, spread sheets, check email, etc... and offers much more. Linux Mint also allows you to edit pictures, browse the web, and watch movies. Can be configured in many different ways to suit your needs and still provide ease-of-use.

DanJC
August 28th, 2008, 03:15 AM
You might scare people off with "Ubuntu." I doubt a lot of people will know what an Ubuntu is.

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Selling a computer with mint installed on it is illegal in the US. Not that I give a crap I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

easybake
August 28th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Linux Mint is free Ubuntu based Operating System with ease-of-use in mind. It supplies you with an office suite that allows one to do word processing, spread sheets, check email, etc... and offers much more. Linux Mint also allows you to edit pictures, browse the web, and watch movies. Can be configured in many different ways to suit your needs and still provide ease-of-use.

If you are saying it includes Open Office, I would say that it is fully compatible with Microsoft Office. Since its open source, wouldn't it be completely customizable?

Safety is always a good thing to mention. Lack of adware and such...

Also maybe stuff about visual effects better than other OS's.

Free updates forever...?

Free Community support > Pay Help Lines.

easybake
August 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Selling a computer with mint installed on it is illegal in the US.

Fo reals? Why?

kspncr
August 28th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I was wondering the same thing

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 03:32 AM
DVD playback win32 codecs stuff like that

xravexheavenx
August 28th, 2008, 03:35 AM
My only guess to why it would be illegal is because you are selling GPL based software and it is made to be distributed freely. But then again, you would be selling the hardware not the software so I wouldn't think it would really matter.

Anyone know why this would be illegal?

wolfen69
August 28th, 2008, 05:08 AM
here's an advert i did recently:

"1.00 GHZ, 320 Ram, CD, high speed internet ready. It has a brand new install of Ubuntu Linux. (www.ubuntu.com) Therefore you very unlikey to get virus's or spyware and never needs maintainance of any kind. Does everything Windows can do, but faster and better. (Dell now sells PC's with Ubuntu pre-installed) Comes with office suite (Microsoft compatible), GIMP (Photoshop clone), and many other programs and games. Any software you would like to install yourself is free from Ubuntu. (1000's of programs available via download) Will make for a great second PC or kids computer. If you insist, i will give you my XP cd for you to install. (since I dont use windows anymore) But after you use it, you probably wont want to install windows. $69 firm. Call 449-xxxx."

i know i took the liberty to embellish, but i had a lot of computers to unload. but i did sell it quick.

Lord Xeb
August 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
K, I like your idea. I just want to put Mint onto it so that it would be easy to use

bashveank
August 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
My only guess to why it would be illegal is because you are selling GPL based software and it is made to be distributed freely. But then again, you would be selling the hardware not the software so I wouldn't think it would really matter.

Anyone know why this would be illegal?

GPL software isn't made to be distributed freely, it's made to be distributed openly. You can sell GPL software, but you can't perpetually license it.
It's illegal to distribute Mint because it comes bundled with copyrighted codecs that the Mint devs haven't paid royalties on.

Lord Xeb
August 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Oh, I see.... Well I got a friend who might get it. I am selling the Computer for 150 because of the parts and the work to get it going. Linux Mint is free and I am going to state that it is a free install for use but if they want XP they can have it.