PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help with installing ubuntu

Ansimax
August 28th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Okay, I have a laptop, it's my moms and I need ubuntu on it. It had ubuntu on it but something happened and now it has no OS, I need to put linux back on. I'm currently downloading Ubuntu-8.04.1.
Can I put that on a cd and then boot from cd on the laptop? and install it?

Partyboi2
August 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Yes, you can.

Ansimax
August 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, you can.

Do I just put it on a cd and put it in the laptop? I'm sorry I'm new to Linux and I just wonder if it works like XP, just the whole press key to boot then install the oS

VMC
August 28th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Once you boot up the ubuntu livecd you will see on the desktop an icon that says Install on hard drive. Click that.

Ansimax
August 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Once you boot up the ubuntu livecd you will see on the desktop an icon that says Install on hard drive. Click that.

There is no OS on the laptop, how can I boot up

Partyboi2
August 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Once you have downloaded the ubuntu iso, check the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)to see if it matches. If it does burn it to a cd at x4 or less speed as a iso file not as data. Then boot your machine with the ubuntu cd, making sure that your machine is set to boot from cd rom first in your bios. Once the ubuntu cd has booted and taken you to a main menu select the option to check the cd for defects. If this passes with no errors then select the 2nd option in the menu "Install ubuntu" and follow the prompts.