PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Operative System

Feareilo
August 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hello.
I have a Compaq Presario laptop that originally came with Windows XP Home. I downloaded Ubuntu v. 8.04.1 and verified the checksum so the iso image was obviously ok. I burned it to a CDRW (4x speed). I tried installing Ubuntu in Windows but I kept getting the same error just when "creating the image" was about to finish. That error was something along the lines of "Could not access CD. There may be some other applications using it." Then, I tried using the Live CD thing to install Ubuntu. I did that and it got to 78% and it said "Copying files (Less than a minute)..." I waited like 5 minutes and nothing was happening so I opened a game (the worm one) and Ubuntu Help. My stupid mind told me "hey... if you do that it might take longer to install Ubuntu" so I pressed Alt+F4 to close Ubuntu Help. To my surprise, all applications were closed (including the installation one). Since it said it would take no more than a minute I figured that Ubuntu was completely installed, not that I closed or interrupted the installation. I rebooted and what did I get? "No operating system"
I have tried booting from the same CDRW I was using but I haven't had luck. I pressed F10 when the Compaq screen is on. Checked the BIOS and it said that it would boot from Floppy>Cd>HD>Network. I reorganized and put CD at the top. No luck.
Can anyone help me please?

Feareilo
August 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Nevermind. Reinstalled Windows, used LiveCD and installed Ubuntu.