PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restarted computer, lost panels!

Eredeath
August 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I restarted my computer and lost both top and bottom panels... Luckily i have a firefox icon on my desktop to bring up my internet to post this thread.
Alt+F2 application launcher isn't working.
I can plug in a usb device to get into the file system, i can alt+Ctrl+F2 to a new console, so i have access to my system... just no reasonable, usable desktop environment to work in...

this is cool :confused: I would have expected the entire Xorg server to fail... but it seems more of a problem with gnome... I am using compiz as a window manager, but that comes standard with Ubuntu now... so idk, I did try turning off all effects by right clicking on the desktop and going to Change Desktop background...:confused:

fparedesg
August 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Alt+F2 and run
gnome-panel

Eredeath
August 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
i can't... Alt+F2 is one of the things thats not working

fparedesg
August 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Does this happen all the time? Like, if you reboot again, is it still the same?

cpetercarter
August 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
But you can get a terminal (ctrl + alt + F2). Can you not run gnome-panel in the terminal?

Eredeath
August 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
i didn't think of that... yea i can, but the gnome-panel options don't seem to give me anything useful to restore my panels on my desktop,
this is what my desktop looks like right now

fparedesg
August 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You can try opening Synaptic (sudo synaptic) and checking if the gnome-panel is installed. If it is, reinstall and reboot. If it's not, then install.

[EDIT] What icon theme do you have installed? XD

Eredeath
August 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM
cool, that worked... now i have a new problem... my sound mixer applet and trash applet "failed to load" any ideas as to how to get these back... i'm an uber noob when it comes to the desktop and gnome.. lol

Edit: I don't have any special icon theme... FireFox is the only icon i changed... google image search "adopt firefox" and you will find the icon i have... though you need to use GIMP to modify it to make it an icon

fparedesg
August 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Problem is, I'm an uber noob too. I recently started using Ubuntu, I only knew how to answer that because I wanted to uninstall the panels XD

You should probably start another thread with your new problem, so if someone sees it and it says "0 replies", (s)he'll know that nobody has helped you and check out your problem. However, if someone sees this thread and sees +7 replies, he'll think your problem is solved and won't even bother opening it. Besides, it's a new problem. You should probably post it in "General Help", many people check that section. Sorry I couldn't help..

EnGorDiaz
August 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Alt+F2 and run
gnome-panel

he said alt f2 isnt working