PDA

View Full Version : I love this community

nocturn
December 23rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
I have been using Linux since 1997 (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Gentoo and on a sidenote FreeBSD).

Beside anything technical, I must admit that this community forum is the most friendly I've been to.

Thanks to all, and best wishes for the holidays!

ubuntu_demon
December 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
I have been using Linux since 1997 (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Gentoo and on a sidenote FreeBSD).

Beside anything technical, I must admit that this community forum is the most friendly I've been to.

Thanks to all, and best wishes for the holidays!
I second this :)

Sniffer
December 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
I third this :)

But (there is always a but :)...i still think there is space for improvement..in special on threads with zero reply's.......

jts
December 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Here! Here!

The technical Ubuntu community may find that answering sometimes silly questions is annoying, but you have all started something that no other distribution has accomplished. A global, friendly support group.

It may not be evident today or tomorrow, but when joe schmoe basic linux users grabs a hold of Ubuntu and figures something out through the helpful/insightful community, he/she will have no problems telling other users about the friendly nature of Ubuntu.

As long as the community continues to listen to the users, cordially as they are doing now, Ubunut will continue to gain steam.

Don't let the trolls get you down! The vast majority of your users really appreciate all of your efforts and wish you continued success!

Happy Holidays and everyone give yourself a pat on the back!

BWF89
December 23rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
I fourth this :)...

Did anyone see the article on Ubuntu on linuxtimes.net?
Ubuntu is going to get big...

ubuntu_demon
December 23rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
I fourth this :)...

Did anyone see the article on Ubuntu on linuxtimes.net?
Ubuntu is going to get big...
which article do you mean ?

KiwiNZ
December 23rd, 2004, 09:57 PM
Great comments here , thanks heaps guyshttp://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

jdodson
December 23rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
well i love you. :mrgreen:

join us now and share the software.

BWF89
December 23rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
which article do you mean ?
It's not really an article but it's the fourth one down...
http://www.linuxtimes.net/index.php

ubuntu_demon
December 23rd, 2004, 11:46 PM
It's not really an article but it's the fourth one down...
http://www.linuxtimes.net/index.php
It's nice linuxtimes.net pays attention to ubuntu. But I don't understand why this leads to the conclusion "Ubuntu is going to get big...". Maybe because nerdsites are paying attention to ubuntu ? (no rant intended)

BWF89
December 24th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Maybe because nerdsites are paying attention to ubuntu ? (no rant intended)
That's exactly why it's going to get big. To be a Linux user you almost have to be a nerd...

ubuntu_demon
December 24th, 2004, 02:02 AM
That's exactly why it's going to get big. To be a Linux user you almost have to be a nerd...
I concur it will be a big distro. But we as a community have to work at getting linux more popular for the non-nerds.

Let's make linux/Ubuntu more attractive!

mark
December 24th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I concur it will be a big distro. But we as a community have to work at getting linux more popular for the non-nerds.

Let's make linux/Ubuntu more attractive!I second this (oh, no, don't let me start that again!) - the nerds/geeks (which is preferred this season, BTW?) will take care of themselves, but the new user is gonna need communities like ours.

nocturn
December 24th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I second this (oh, no, don't let me start that again!) - the nerds/geeks (which is preferred this season, BTW?) will take care of themselves, but the new user is gonna need communities like ours.

Yes, they will. Linux (especially Ubuntu) is very usable by joe average, but it requires some support of 'geeks' (to be fair, Joe sixpack cannot install Windows either).

My parents (my mother started using a computer for the first time when she was about 60) are quite happy running the Linux box I configured for them. It just never breaks, no matter what they do.

On a sidenote, I still have difficulties with referring to myself as a nerd/geek. I was called that in highschool (not in a nice way). Most of the community does not seem to have that problem tough...

ubuntu_demon
December 24th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Yes, they will. Linux (especially Ubuntu) is very usable by joe average, but it requires some support of 'geeks' (to be fair, Joe sixpack cannot install Windows either).

My parents (my mother started using a computer for the first time when she was about 60) are quite happy running the Linux box I configured for them. It just never breaks, no matter what they do.

On a sidenote, I still have difficulties with referring to myself as a nerd/geek. I was called that in highschool (not in a nice way). Most of the community does not seem to have that problem tough...
nerd is a geuzennaam

quote from a random website

(http://geuzen.blogs.com/various/2004/12/frequently_aske.html)

Okay, now for a little regional history. The name De Geuzen is the plural of Geus, which is originally derived from the French, gueux, literally meaning beggar or rogue. This name was used as a derogatory term for a group of people who rebelled against the Spanish occupation in the Netherlands during the 16th century. Although the name was originally negative, the Geuzen embraced the name with pride. In fact today, the word Geuzennaam in Dutch has come to refer to the act of transforming derogatory name into a positive one.

BWF89
December 24th, 2004, 04:29 PM
When we get our next computer I'm going to try to get my parents to get a Mac. Since they probably won't go for Linux and is compatible with almost every piece of hardware...

ubuntu_demon
December 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
When we get our next computer I'm going to try to get my parents to get a Mac. Since they probably won't go for Linux and is compatible with almost every piece of hardware...
Why do you think they won't go for hoary ?