PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a fellow Ubuntu Evangelist

saphil
November 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Hi, I am a recruiter for a tech company, and an Ubuntu evangelist. I got 148 Hoary disks a couple of months ago and have given out all but about 10 that I use at my various workstations in the places I work. One of my part-time gigs is lecturing at a local college, and I use that platform to talk about Ubuntu all the time. I use Ubuntu disks as a welcome gift to tech people who I am interviewing for rep positions.

I am fairly new to the forum, though I used to use my corp email, so I am making a re-intro today.

Wolf Halton

I like making new friends and being helpful, so don't hesitate to write.

jdong
November 14th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard!

*moving you over to the Community Chat*

aysiu
November 14th, 2005, 09:43 PM
So you actively evangelize?

Can you share your best conversion story (and your worst)?

Kyral
November 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Welcome dude. I carry a CD Pack (Live + Install) from Ubuntu Love wherever I go so I can give it out if someone asks (Can't wait until my 55 CDs from Shipit come :D)

saphil
November 14th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hey y'all!

Yep, I actively evangelize. Whenever anybody is in complaint mode about microsoft or looks at my Ubuntu-Live session in the school resource center, I talk about it.

Worst Evangelism Story:
I had been talking about the Ubuntu Live disk and one of the finance officers got excited. He said he really wanted to try it out. I gave him the disk folder and showed him which was Live and which was install. He took it home and I didn't hear from him about it for a week. I figured he hadn't had time to slot the disk, so the next week, I asked him how he liked his Ubuntu.
He said it didn't work. He said that Windows came up just like always even with the CD in place. I asked if he had checked his bios boot order. He hadn't. He still hasn't gotten it to work because of the boot order. I guess I will have to go over to his house to change the boot order.

This is not a really awful story, but what I am getting is students who already know something about *nix and have booted knoppix or redhat. I am not getting a lot of feedback from people who take them home, and I want to work up a way to get it. There may be a bunch who are like my finance dept friend, who just don't know how to set a boot order and don't want to confess that to me. People are interested in the live disk at the library, because the PCs there are all spyware-laden and it is hard to get anything done on them. Even the Network admin there is interested in the Ubuntu desktop, as it could save him a bunch of time he now spends chasing spyware.