PDA

View Full Version : Which netbook?

frrobert
August 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
My current laptop is no longer portable but seems to be working fine. (It is one of those machines you don't want to spend any money on) My plan was to get a netbook as a portable machine and then replace my current notebook with a desktop. Everything I do on the road can be handled by a netbook and I would not rather haul around a heavy desktop replacement notebook.

I was really hoping to be able to wait till the new dells came out. But due to somethings coming up, I may have to order a netbook by the end of next week.

I am leaning towards the 1000H and installing some flavor of ubuntu.

What is your favorite netbook for ubuntu?

jespdj
August 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm also waiting for the Dell (it's going to be called Inspiron 910 (http://gizmodo.com/5038298/leaked-dell-inspiron-910-mini-note-specs-and-release-date)). It looks like it's going to be released with Ubuntu (most likely Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.canonical.com/netbooks)).

I've looked at the MSI Wind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSI_Wind_PC), which has a 10-inch screen and a 2.5-inch 80 GB harddisk, but I think it's too big for what I'd like (260 x 180 x 19-31.5mm / 10.23" x 7.08" x 0.748"-1.24").

I've seen Asus Eee PCs at shops, and those look nice, I especially like the 901.

This is interesting: Comparison of netbooks (Wikipedia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks)
See also: umpcportal.com (http://www.umpcportal.com/index.php)

neofreud
August 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I dont know if its the best but I am currently using a Gateway ML3109.

It took a little tweaking to get everything to work (especially wireless) but since then I have not had any problems at all! I am in love with my laptop and with ubuntu on my laptop. This had vista basic on it before I UPGRADED to Ubuntu. :)

Before I got this laptop i used a big bulky Dell inspiron 8600 which was great when it came out but I realize now how outdated that thing really is.

I love the eeepc though so definantly get one of those if you get the chance!

joninkrakow
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'm typing this on my Wind running Ubuntu, and I'm quite happy with it. Following the directions on the msiwind web site, I got everything working but sleep. However, others haven't seemed to have my problems. I think it's the perfect size--not too small so as to make typing difficult, and the screen is beautiful, and the hardware is great, and it's not so large that I am not willing to carry it to the local mall and sit and cruise the web in the KFC there. I'm quite ecstatic with mine.

-Jon

smartboyathome
August 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm personally going to get the EEE PC 901 20GB, though I have become more interested in the 1000 (too much money though, theres a whopping $120 difference between the two when buying from newegg :().

simonuk
August 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Main thing for me was a keyboard I can easily touch type with. All the others have keyboards which are just that little bit too small for my liking.

MSI wind was the one I went for. Only downside was the wireless needed a little work to get going but apart from that I'm very happy and firmly believe I made the right choice.

intense.ego
August 27th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Got the Acer Aspire One. It is great, and they have recently dropped its price in the US. Only $330 now!

smartboyathome
August 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
One of the main things I want from the EEE PC is the SSD. That is what keeps me away from the others. :(

jalebi
August 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Got an Acer Aspire One a couple of days ago, and I'm not dissapointed. I got it for GBP 175 (USD 320, EUR 220) and it has worked flawlessly. The screen is great and the keyboard is almost fullsized. For me, a fully sized right shift is important, and the AAO has that.

MidsummerDreams
August 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Got an Acer Aspire One a couple of days ago, and I'm not dissapointed. I got it for GBP 175 (USD 320, EUR 220) and it has worked flawlessly. The screen is great and the keyboard is almost fullsized. For me, a fully sized right shift is important, and the AAO has that.

Man, the Aspire One @ $329 and Ubuntu on it could take over the world... one day at a time ;). Really, great little setup at a nice price.

joninkrakow
August 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
One of the main things I want from the EEE PC is the SSD. That is what keeps me away from the others. :(

Yeah. I almost pulled the trigger on an eee for the same reason, but, I found a "used" Wind (guy bought it for his wife who didn't like it--it's all but new) for the same price. The larger screen and keyboard, and 80 gigs of storage (as much as my Mac) brought me over. I would like to have SSD, but, in the end, too many other things drew me in. :-)

BTW, I turned off my Powerbook yesterday evening for the first time in months or years. I'm fully Ubuntu/Wind as of yesterday.... That's why the Wind won me over.

-Jon

ugm6hr
August 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Man, the Aspire One @ $329 and Ubuntu on it could take over the world... one day at a time ;). Really, great little setup at a nice price.

I'm tempted by it too. But Ubuntu support is not fantastic (yet): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

t0p
August 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I just got myself an eee pc 4G - literally just, it was delivered about an hour ago.

I'm just getting to grips with it - it's very different to any notebook I've used before - the default OS (Xandros I think) is basic... but I intend to replace it anyway, I'm downloading a torrent of eeebuntu_standard_1.0_iso right now. I've seen a bunch of screenshots and user reports on the various ubuntu-based OSes available for the eee pc, and they seem pretty cool. :)

One feature I reckon is killer-cool, is the solid state disk. No moving parts to get broken. I mean, robustness is a primo requirement for a portable computer, right? And the eee pc is ultra portable and ultra robust! This thing's gonna go everywhere with me! :cool:

EDIT: Oh yeah, while we're on the subject... is there a forum on this site for eee pcs and their ilk? I had a scroll through the forums list and didn't notice anything, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? I'm aware of other sites that carry forums based on ubuntu for the eee pc - but more info ain't gonna hurt none.

jespdj
August 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I've looked a bit more at some netbooks. The battery life of the Eee PC 901 seems to be very good (up to 6 hours), which in my opinion is an important advantage. The keyboard is most often mentioned as the Eee PC's biggest disadvantage.

I'm wondering what the battery life of the Dell Inspiron 910 will be like... I'd still prefer that one as it will come with Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Unfortunately it looks like the Eee PC 901 is currently only available with Windows XP (and 12 GB flash memory). I really want the Linux version (with 20 GB flash). I know I could get the XP version and install Linux on it, but that wouldn't be good - buying an Eee PC with Windows will make Asus think that people like netbooks with Windows... :mad:

mudguts
September 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
I had the Asus eee pc 701. the keyboard was a tad bit unforgiving and too much like punching chicklets. i quickly installed Ubuntu 7.01 (I think..) and it worked well but the Wi-Fi would never detect the network on startup so I had to keep putting in the WEP key. I got rid of it after 3 weeks.

I almost bought the Acer Aspire One at BestBuy but after spending about 3 minutes trying the keyboard, I didn't bother. It was just tooooo small.

I'm typing this on the MSI Wind with XP home (soon to be gone) and really like it so far. It's more the fit and finish. Comparing the Wind to the Asus eee is like comparing a 1985 Hyundai Pony to a 2008 Lexus. No comparison.

In between the two UMPC's, I bought a cloudbook which I didn't even keep till the end of the day before returning it.

I also have an IBM X41 at work which feels absolutely HUGE compared to the Wind.

One thing that I don't like about the Wind is that the keyboard is still a little tight and I have to slow down when typing and re-read everything before hitting 'send'.

i put more on my blog (http://www.dancy.ca) if you're interested in reading more.

LaRoza
September 2nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm also waiting for the Dell (it's going to be called Inspiron 910 (http://gizmodo.com/5038298/leaked-dell-inspiron-910-mini-note-specs-and-release-date)). It looks like it's going to be released with Ubuntu (most likely Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.canonical.com/netbooks)).

I am also waiting for the Dells. I hear they are going to be great.

Warpnow
September 2nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
I had the Asus eee pc 701. the keyboard was a tad bit unforgiving and too much like punching chicklets. i quickly installed Ubuntu 7.01 (I think..) and it worked well but the Wi-Fi would never detect the network on startup so I had to keep putting in the WEP key. I got rid of it after 3 weeks.

I almost bought the Acer Aspire One at BestBuy but after spending about 3 minutes trying the keyboard, I didn't bother. It was just tooooo small.

I'm typing this on the MSI Wind with XP home (soon to be gone) and really like it so far. It's more the fit and finish. Comparing the Wind to the Asus eee is like comparing a 1985 Hyundai Pony to a 2008 Lexus. No comparison.

In between the two UMPC's, I bought a cloudbook which I didn't even keep till the end of the day before returning it.

I also have an IBM X41 at work which feels absolutely HUGE compared to the Wind.

One thing that I don't like about the Wind is that the keyboard is still a little tight and I have to slow down when typing and re-read everything before hitting 'send'.

i put more on my blog (http://www.dancy.ca) if you're interested in reading more.

You can't compare the 701 to the wind, obviously.

Compare the Wind to the 1000.

That's like saying, "OMG! Y is dis Palmzors I bot not sgud as my t@blet compooter!!"