PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Dedicated Kubuntu/Ubuntu install

ursus262
August 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone

I just wanted to share with everyone how easy it is to have a dedicated Ubuntu install without necessarily losing Windows. I wanted a dedicated Ubuntu install without the hassle of migrating over using the same drive

Today, I went down to PC World (a UK-based computer retailer) and bought a new 2.5in SATA laptop drive. When I got home, I removed the Windows drive and put this new drive in. I then instulled Kubuntu and it went like a breeze, even finding my wireless card on my laptop.

I'm really pleased with how it went and how easy it is to install and maintain. I had the wubi install in windows for some time now, and felt confident enough to migrate over to Kubuntu permanently. And, I have ordered a caddy to enable my laptop to boot to Windows through the USB if I want.

Feel as though I have achieved something. Feel quite pleased with myself.
:)

arch0njw
August 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I have dual-booted two machines, and it is a breeze. I suggest installing Windows first (sounds like that is a given), and then install K/Ubuntu. That way you end up with GRUB as your bootloader instead of MSFT's offering.