PDA

View Full Version : Most of ubuntu CDs are unreadable

Paloseco
November 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I have requested a set of 25 x86 cds, 15 64 bits and some MAC, and after trying to boot from the x86 ones (I did not check yet the others) i have found that most are crap. I have a NEC ND-3540 NG that reads perfectly any cd or dvd that comes with magazines, originals and copies, but most of ubuntu cds are not readable. The install cd usually loads, but the live only 3 of 35 booted. If i reboot the pc keeps trying to load from cdrom and after a minute loads the default boot loader of my hda. I am glad of not spreading those cds, speacially among Windows users because will be very dissapointed, will say "Linux users are poor people and manufacture their media with poor quality".

I know that the cds are free of charge, but i prefer less cds and better quality.

DoeRayMe
November 14th, 2005, 08:13 PM
all cds i get are fine

tomski
November 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM
did you get these via 'shipit' or did you download them

maynoth
November 15th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I ordered 10 CD's and got them 8 were duds... They must be cutting corners to save money. You really cannot complain though they were completely cost free.

Sirin
November 15th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Same with me. Only 1 out of 45 actually worked.

Iandefor
November 15th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I had a similar problem... I ordered 5 cds. Not a one of them worked. I tried again two months later, it went fine. I hope my breezy CD's are all right...

23meg
November 15th, 2005, 04:50 AM
All my x86 cds seem fine, haven't tried the others.

Samuel
November 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I ordered 10 CD's and got them 8 were duds... They must be cutting corners to save money. You really cannot complain though they were completely cost free.

Its true they are free, but the idea is to hand them out to people to try out ubuntu.
Its not good marketing to give people dud CDs free or not.

How would you like someone to offer you a lift home and instead they take you elsewhere? its still free but not what you want is it?

Im sure people wouldnt mind paying a small fee for them to at least cover the costs and maybe add a little money towards the bountys. if not they can download it for free.

My part of the UK was slow at getting high speed internet so i used to buy distros from ebay or LinuxMedia.co.uk

Ubuntu is that good i feel kinda bad for not paying for it ;)
i would be happy to pay for 20 disks to give out as long as i knew the profit was going into the development of Ubuntu.
It would be like donating to the cause :razz: