PDA

View Full Version : I need something to nap on at the office!

justinjstark
August 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I am teaching classes (early in the morning) at a university and they gave me a nice little office. The only thing is, I get tired at about 2 or 3pm every day and usually wind up going home to eat and take a nap.

I'd really like to just take a nap in my office but there is really no place to do so. They don't want us to move in furniture. I was thinking about buying a bean bag or something. I don't want to spend much. Does anybody have any suggestions?

oldsoundguy
August 27th, 2008, 04:43 PM
an outdoor deck lounge (fold up type).

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
An "Adult Daycare Mat"???

justinjstark
August 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I don't know what an adult daycare mat is. And I want something soft, not like an outdoor lounge chair. But thanks for your suggestion. :-)

I'm looking at bean bags but all of the bigger ones are expensive.

jrusso2
August 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Buy an air mattress, when your done, deflate it and put it into the closet each day.

LaRoza
August 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am teaching classes (early in the morning) at a university and they gave me a nice little office. The only thing is, I get tired at about 2 or 3pm every day and usually wind up going home to eat and take a nap.

I'd really like to just take a nap in my office but there is really no place to do so. They don't want us to move in furniture. I was thinking about buying a bean bag or something. I don't want to spend much. Does anybody have any suggestions?

If you have a chair and a desk you are all set.

nick09
August 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Rest your feet on the desk and bring a pillow for your head to rest on.

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I was trying to be funny...where's that "FAIL" smiley...

I like the idea of the inflatable mattress. And a lock on your door so you won't be disturbed.

karellen
August 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
napping with your head on the desk isn't ok? :D

LaRoza
August 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I used to do that in school. I would use my hair as a pillow (roll up the pony tail, and rest on it)

Dragonbite
August 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Depends on if the pool of drool left behind will stain the desk. (yes, from experience.)

karellen
August 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Depends on if the pool of drool left behind will stain the desk. (yes, from experience.)

:lolflag: I know what you mean

Redache
August 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I used to do that in school. I would use my hair as a pillow (roll up the pony tail, and rest on it)

Ahh the old School Nap. I used to use my Super Soft Pencil case as a pillow. Best naps ever.

You could try getting a Bed Roll like they use for camping and see if that's more comofortable (with a travel pillow or something similar).

Dragonbite
August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Ahh the old School Nap. I used to use my Super Soft Pencil case as a pillow. Best naps ever.

You could try getting a Bed Roll like they use for camping and see if that's more comofortable (with a travel pillow or something similar).
Even using your shoes as a pillow works... once you get past the smell.

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Even using your shoes as a pillow works... once you get past the smell.Or just have your gag reflex removed...

DrMelon
August 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
My arms are a nice pillow. Especially if I wear a thick sweater (up here in Scotland, you wear one most of the time anyway).

justinjstark
August 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
An air mattress is too much of a hassle and takes up too much room. It's a small office and I have an office mate.

Sleeping at my desk is a little uncomfortable when I could be sleeping on something comfy and soft.

Perpetual
August 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Install a couple eyebolts in the wall and buy a hammock. When you aren't resting, hang plants from the eyebolts. ;)

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Get a travel pillow that goes around your neck in a U shape. Sit up in your chair and relax.

Look on craigslist. Maybe get a sun tanning chair thing that you can lay down on and fold up later.

Cl0ud9
August 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM
George had the same problem in an episode of Seinfeld called "The Nap".

swoll1980
August 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
George had the same problem in an episode of Seinfeld called "The Nap".

yeah hire a contractor to build you a custom napping area under your desk. Just hope your alarm doesn't cause alarm.

oldsoundguy
August 28th, 2008, 04:06 AM
second suggestion since a padded deck/outdoor lounge doesn't cut it .. In my office I had what is called a "corner group" It consisted of a pair of twin beds with covers and bolsters sitting at right angles. One was slid under a corner table, and a triangular coffee table in front of them. Seating in the day time and a place to crash if need be. But I had a 15' x 20' office space that I shared with no one.

beercz
August 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
How on earth can you get away with a nap at work?? If I did that I would be disciplined!

Perhaps I need to change my employment.:-k

DemonBob
August 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0006425517175a&navCount=1&podId=0006425&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat602775&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=army%20cot&cm_ite=netcon

Killer Cop
August 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Have you tried considering what causes you to be tired at 2/3pm? Are you sleeping enough? And you eating enough? Ask yourself some questions.

Have you tried an alternative method than sleeping it away, like walk or run a short distance? Sometimes it can solve the problem.

I'm often dead tired some few hours before school is over. Then after school is over I have to ride my bicycle 7 kilometers to get home. After that, I'm all fresh and ready to do whatever I want. You should try it. :)

tdrusk
August 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I just realized... I get tired at 2-3 too. I drink coffee.

jgrabham
August 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Or if you start snoring and the teacher notices (they tend to shout at you and it wakes you up). Eventually I learnt to sleep leaning back in my chair at the back of the room, hair covering your eyes, arms folded - you get used to it, and eventually it feels comfotable.

Note - I only slept in class because the truancy officer didn't like it when I went home in the middle of the day for a kip :lolflag:

nick09
August 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I just realized... I get tired at 2-3 too. I drink coffee.

Thats the problem with coffee. It wears off after a while and make sure you at least have 7 hours of sleep.

Joeb454
August 28th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Or just have your gag reflex removed...

If only you could comment it out and recompile....

red_Marvin
August 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Get one of these vvv it's some kind of cheap generic beach chair and the back rest has two tilting modes.
Quite comfortable, cheap, and folds away to almost nothing, you'd almost be able to hide it in a bookshelf. :p

Kingsley
August 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
An "Adult Daycare Mat"???
:lolflag:

beast2k
August 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Just drink Redbull at about an hour before you normally get tired. It gives you wings

billgoldberg
August 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Trow yourself on the floor and use your arms as a pillow.

I used to sleep like that when I stayed over at my friends "student room" after I went on a binge in the bars.

Always sleeped like a little angle.

Could have been the booze though.

tdrusk
August 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Thats the problem with coffee. It wears off after a while and make sure you at least have 7 hours of sleep.
I meant I drink coffee at 2-3 to keep myself awake.

zachtib
August 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM
My keyboard works for me :P

scragar
August 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
lie down on the floor, front down, put your head to a side and use a small amount of padding(a hand works find - palm up if you've got bony knuckles, or your just gonna make it even less comfortable) on the head, I can get pretty comfortable like that(I did have to get used to it though, I had to sleep for 4 nights without a bed after my bedroom got soaked(I'm not sleeping on a wet mattress, no way, I wound up buying a new mattress BTW, just in case your interested)).

Lostincyberspace
August 29th, 2008, 12:55 AM
You are all wimps, true geeks should be used to going months without sleep.

[/lol]

scragar
August 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You are all wimps, true geeks should be used to going months without sleep.

[/lol]

I havn't missed more than a night or two of sleep since college(where I once achived my personal record of 5 days, although I was still drinking coffee back then(I cut coffee out cold turkey shortly after college)), ah, the good old day's when I didn't need to pay attention to what I was doing to get money(all I had to do was show up and not fail the tests, which BTW was easier than anybody claims).

JoeLaX75
August 29th, 2008, 01:00 AM
An open book at the library always does the trick for me. Stat books tend to work out rather well.

Wickd
August 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Find a fat female coworker and you're all set :) Just make sure she doesnt know where you live.

Or you could just buy a cheap couch?

linuxguymarshall
August 29th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Bean bag and some lucid dreaming equipment

gletob
August 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM
if you've got a costco membership or know someone who does go buy one of those 50 $ body pillows they have

tdrusk
August 29th, 2008, 01:37 AM
you could just use a sleeping bag and lay on it.