PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Pay for Use Public Internet Question/Help

cvowen
August 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Problem: I offer internet browsing to business clients on a "honor system", pay for useage ie $5.00/hr basis. The majority of their useage is spent checking/sending email
This system works but there's always that 10% that forget to pay or abuse my honor system. So I'm losing money over the long haul.
I collect funds either by cash or through my credit card machine and this gets to be a hassle at times because I'm busy running the rest of my business (a Hiker's Hostel).

Solution/Question: Is there any linux based software that would require my clients to pay via credit/debit cards through this business computer upfront or at end of session for web browsing?

I need something that wouldn't require my attendance for each session.
Cash purchases? Any suggestions?

**I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, sorry I hit the Kubuntu button!

Thanks

ProgramErgoSum
August 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Not a s/w solution...but, make users pay before like the cold-drink (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) vending machines. Since you are charging by the hour, I guess you are "metering" the usage too. So, at the end of a session, you would probably be able to compute the balance (unused part, that is).

The actual mode of payment can remain the same.

mellowd
August 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
there are a number of internet cafe solutions available on sourceforge ranging from pre-alpha to post-beta.

I can't recommend any off the top of my head, but the last time I checked I saw some good stuff

mellowd
August 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
For example, I came up with a quick search and found this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dharma-netcafe/

I'd do a bit more searching for something more tested

cvowen
August 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Mellowd that's about what I need.
Everthing is set up on an honor system, so there's no metering.
I've a Hostel, so when you check out I total everything, the overnight stay, the food, services etc.
Its the internet that needs control and the "new system" should not need me there watching over it.
I can make an exception for the "cash only" clients, but the majority roll with credit cards.
Thanks for the help