PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switchinjg Keyboard Layout

pflanzenmoerder
August 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Currently I have a laptop mwith a US keyboard. In my office I connect a German keyboard.
The problem is that I can either switch the layout for one app at a time (using the applet) or go into the settings, change it and restart my GNOME-Session.
Is there a faster way to do that?

fballem
August 27th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Try adding the Keyboard indicator to one of your panels. You can then change keyboard layout by clicking on the keyboard indicator. It's relatively easy to do.

To do this:

Add a Keyboard Indicator to a Panel:

Right click on a panel (either top or bottom).
Choose Add to Panel. This will provide a list of Applications.
Select Keyboard Indicator, then Close.
This will add the keyboard indicator.

Setup the Keyboard Layouts:

Select System, Preferences, Keyboard from the main menu.
Set up the keyboard layouts.

I have attached a couple of screenshots.

Hope this helps

zorkerz
September 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
this is the solution I have tried to use for a while however I run into a problem. I switch between stardard US and Dvorak layouts. When I first start the computer the layout switcher shows itself switching between USA and USA2 (the names for my keyboard layouts) however the keyboard does not actually switch. It types in dvorak no matter which is selected. In order to get the switcher to work I need to go into the layouts tab on keyboard preferences and remove or add a keyboard layout. This allows the keyboard layouts to be switch and also makes the "show current layout" button actually come up with a picture of my layout.

any ideas?