PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking up list of active drivers

Elssha
August 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi,
hopefully, this is a real simple question, but I can't seem to find anywhere that will list what drivers are active on my system and where they are located. Is there a place (I looked all over the admin and pref menus) or a command I can type into terminal that will give me this information?
I ask because I am thinking of doing a clean install of Ubuntu now that I know more about which programs I use and what works. However, I am running ubuntu on a laptop, and had to hunt for drivers for a long time to get everything running right (the bad versions of which making up some of the clutter i want to delete from the sys). Thanks,
El

roaldz
August 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hi,
hopefully, this is a real simple question, but I can't seem to find anywhere that will list what drivers are active on my system and where they are located. Is there a place (I looked all over the admin and pref menus) or a command I can type into terminal that will give me this information?
I ask because I am thinking of doing a clean install of Ubuntu now that I know more about which programs I use and what works. However, I am running ubuntu on a laptop, and had to hunt for drivers for a long time to get everything running right (the bad versions of which making up some of the clutter i want to delete from the sys). Thanks,
El

Drivers are modules, which you can view with:

lsmod

iaculallad
August 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Usually, Ubuntu auto-detect and auto-install drivers for hardwares that it can support. You could always use the "Restricted Drivers Manager" to install proprietary drivers for your un/supported hardware.

Elssha
August 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
is ismod a program i need to install? It doesn't seem to work in commandline

I remember not being able to use the restricted drivers manager when we first installed Hardy (I had help from a friend with far more experience), and the drivers we did find were a hit n' miss... grrr, stupid sony >_<

iaculallad
August 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
is ismod a program i need to install? It doesn't seem to work in commandline

I remember not being able to use the restricted drivers manager when we first installed Hardy (I had help from a friend with far more experience), and the drivers we did find were a hit n' miss... grrr, stupid sony >_<

It's lsmod and not ismod.

lsmod

To know more about lsmod, do man lsmod on your terminal.

Elssha
August 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
>_< thanks...