PDA

View Full Version : [kde] System Tray Won't stay?

Chris_Foster
August 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I've been searching google for a while now and I couldn't find a clear answer, so I thought I would try here. Im running kubuntu 8.04 with kde3.5.

My system Tray tends to disappear at random times. If I click Un-lock Panel I can see the two lines were the system tray sits. So my system tray is there, but the icons randomly disappear. If I start a new application that hides in the system tray all the icons will comes back when the new icon goes in, and the system tray appears again if I log out and back in (or re-start). Generally the only things I have in the system tray are: Kmix, superkaramba, klipper, network manager, amarok, and korganizer. I recently installed a new theme that effected the tool-bar background and the icons, but I don't think thats causing the problem.

There was also this one occasion were all the icons popped out into actual windows that appeared in the task-bar, the windows just contained a picture of the icon. This has only happened once.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

--Chris

Chris_Foster
August 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Any help guys?

JECHO
August 29th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've been searching google for a while now and I couldn't find a clear answer, so I thought I would try here. Im running kubuntu 8.04 with kde3.5.

My system Tray tends to disappear at random times. If I click Un-lock Panel I can see the two lines were the system tray sits. So my system tray is there, but the icons randomly disappear. If I start a new application that hides in the system tray all the icons will comes back when the new icon goes in, and the system tray appears again if I log out and back in (or re-start). Generally the only things I have in the system tray are: Kmix, superkaramba, klipper, network manager, amarok, and korganizer. I recently installed a new theme that effected the tool-bar background and the icons, but I don't think thats causing the problem.

There was also this one occasion were all the icons popped out into actual windows that appeared in the task-bar, the windows just contained a picture of the icon. This has only happened once.

Any ideas?

--Chris

not sure if this will help but...

im running a gnome desktop but ive had a similar problem... my solution was to move some of my icons away from the system tray. if you have an icon or two (or more) on the panel really close to the system tray they tend to hide it until it is updated (when you open an app) so just move them over and lock them.

Chris_Foster
September 6th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks for your help, but I only have the task bar and the clock next to it. Any more Ideas?

pbhj
September 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Any more Ideas?

I think this is a backport from KDE4, it has all sorts of screwy things like this.

[that was a joke btw] :)

Chris_Foster
September 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I noticed the compiq fusion icon doesnt dissapear, and when the system tray dissapears the toolbar reloads first, if that helps. I think this might have something to do with my theme. Im using a custom image for the background and Im using the KBFX custom menu witch is themed.

JeffAlkvn
November 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM

Any ideas?

--Chris

I've got the same problem. I'm new to Linux, so I'm sorry to say I don't have any other solution to offer except that to note that if I log out and back in, it returns. Sometimes that's extremely annoying when I've got Amarok, 3 Firefox windows, a shell, Dolphin, the Transmission BT client, and Skype open all at the same time, and am using them all at the same time.

It seems to happen when I install new programs. So, can any experts help out? I'm running Kubuntu 3.5 on an HP Pavillion dv6000, if that helps. Thank you very much for any suggestions.