PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for an avid Linux USer

greenwom
August 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Today is a Sad day,
I've done my first Windows install on my personal pc since Ubuntu Warty was released.

Don't fret my Hardy Install is still on the hard drive (I have to remeber how to reinstall/configure grub)

I've always had one dual-boot pc for work (some of our vendors software that doesn't play well with wine) but today I purchased a Legal copy of Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 on Craigslist for some side work that I plan on doing. We do not have software in linux comparable to Flash or Acrobat. They are just to stink'n good...

Hopefully I'll be able to make up the money spent (i've never purchased software in my life) on the software with my next few jobs....

sad :(

smartboyathome
August 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
You could just use a virtual machine to run your creative suite, while still using Linux for everything else, but good luck with your jobs.

darrenn
August 27th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Listen little child.
There will come a day,
When you will be able,
Able to say.
Nevermind the platform,
Or the agrivation.
Linux knows there's a better way,
for you and me to be.

Look for the rainbow in every storm.
Fly like an angel,
Heaven sent to me.

Chorus:
Goodbye my friend (I know you're gone, you said you're gone, but I can still feel you here)
It's not the end (You gotta keep it strong before the pain turns into fear)

So glad we made it,
Time will never change it,
No, no, no

No, no, no, no

Just a little girl,
Big imagination,
never letting no one take it away.
Went into the world, (into the world)
What a revelation.
Linux found there's a better way for you and me to be.

Look for the rainbow in every storm,
Find out for certain,
Love's gonna be there for you,
You'll always be someone's baby.

Chorus:
Goodbye my friend (I know you're gone, you said you're gone, but I can still feel you here)

So glad we made it,
No, no, no

No, no, no, no

Bridge:
The times when we would play about,
The way we use to scream and shout.
We never dream you'd go your own sweet way.

Look for the rainbow in every storm,
Find out for certain,
Love's gonna be there for you,
You'll always be someone's baby.

Chorus:

So glad we made it,
No, no, no

No, no, no, no

No no no no - you know it's time to say goodbye No no no no - and don't
forget you can rely No no no no - you know it's time to say goodbye No
no no no - and don't forget on me you can rely No no no no - I will help,
help you on your way No no no no - I will be with you every day

Xzallion
August 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Today is a Sad day,
I've done my first Windows install on my personal pc since Ubuntu Warty was released.

Don't fret my Hardy Install is still on the hard drive (I have to remeber how to reinstall/configure grub)

I've always had one dual-boot pc for work (some of our vendors software that doesn't play well with wine) but today I purchased a Legal copy of Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 on Craigslist for some side work that I plan on doing. We do not have software in linux comparable to Flash or Acrobat. They are just to stink'n good...

Hopefully I'll be able to make up the money spent (i've never purchased software in my life) on the software with my next few jobs....

sad :(
Its not really that sad. operating systems are tools, and you have to use what works best for you. I know lots of software that is currently better then any open source equivalents, but I always hope that eventually the open source software will become the better and support them in the hope they will.

So far this has worked well for me, as GIMP has replaced Photoshop elements, OpenOffice has replaced Microsoft Office, Amarok has replaced WinAmp (and soon will replace it on windows), Firefox has replaced IE, Thunderbird replaced Outlook, Kopete/Pidgen replaced various instant Message clients. Hopefully one day there will be a good flash editor in linux for you, until then use what you need to and keep pushing for that open source alternative.

As far as acrobat, I'm not sure but I do believe there are various tools for it on linux, and that OpenOffice has some PDF support, but I'm not aware of any possible advanced features that you would require so I'm just saying there might be something out there.

Also, darrenn, that was odd. Interesting, but odd.

Dragonbite
August 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Adobe does seem to be warming up to Linux as another platform to develop for.

Perhaps if they can come up with a way to streamline development for the Mac to be able to port to Linux with minimal changes due to the Unix underpinnings, then we have a chance.