PDA

View Full Version : Include KDE's Marble Widget in Qt4.4 App

xolot1
August 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Im currently writing an application that keeps track of my training (specifically, running/track/cross country). Ive been using Qt4.4, since I have recently been using Kubuntu but like the idea of writing cross platform programs. While Ive already learned a bunch, and am quite happy with my progress (MySQL or SQLite to store the data, config file in XML format, etc.), Id really like to use KDE's Marble widget. I think it would be awesome to be able to plot runs on a map, save the coordinates, and load them later. Looking at the headers/API, I think I should be able to do this, however Im a little confused as to how to include the widget and its sources.

Is there a convenient release of just the MarbleWidget, or must I adapt the SVN sources to fit my project? The KDE project uses CMake to generate some of the MOC files required for compilation, however I dont really have any experience with CMake.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach including this widget?

henchman
August 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Well...

http://edu.kde.org/marble

Marble is a light weight generic geographical map component for use in your own Qt 4.x / C++ application. It is provided as a library, a QWidget and a KDE 4 KPart and hence can easily get integrated with KDE 4 or Qt 4 applications.

There is also a compiling tutorial on this website :)

xolot1
August 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for that pointer. I had read through that site pretty thoroughly, compiling Marble just as the tutorial suggested. I just didnt know how to include the widget in another program.

After some thinking and some digging, I realized I could use the packages libmarble4-kde4 and libmarble-dev-kde4 to provide the headers and packages. This ended successfully, as I now have a Marble widget getting initialized in my app!

Thanks again