PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Roasted
August 27th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Say you know this girl, going on 2 years. She's 18, you're 22.

She's in her last year of HS, while you got done with your associates and are currently working.

You end up getting hired at a school district during the summer months.

Afterwards, also in the summer months, you and this 2 year friend start dating.

Now, you have a student/staff relationship.

What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are back and forth... On one hand, it IS staff/student relationship. But on the other hand, the handbook says nothing regarding the matter, my position (computer technician) would not be an authority figure over her, and I also manage the elementary schools, so I'm not even in the high school unless I'm aiding the tech person who manages the high school.

Thoughts?

RedPandaFox
August 27th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Say you know this girl, going on 2 years. She's 18, you're 22.

She's in her last year of HS, while you got done with your associates and are currently working.

You end up getting hired at a school district during the summer months.

Afterwards, also in the summer months, you and this 2 year friend start dating.

Now, you have a student/staff relationship.

What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are back and forth... On one hand, it IS staff/student relationship. But on the other hand, the handbook says nothing regarding the matter, my position (computer technician) would not be an authority figure over her, and I also manage the elementary schools, so I'm not even in the high school unless I'm aiding the tech person who manages the high school.

Thoughts?

I don't see any problem with it. Your not a teacher are you? The only issue is if you are in a position of power over her.

aysiu
August 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Best to wait until she graduates. Keep it friendly and professional.

RedPandaFox
August 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM

The only issue I'm aware of, is the power issues. They are around the same age, have been dating previously, and as long as it IS friendly and professional at the school, there is nothing to stop them outside, unless you can have some influence on scores, or teaching, or anything regarding how well people can go.

nickgaydos
August 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I don't see a problem with this. I say do what you want! >:--D

lisati
August 27th, 2008, 03:59 AM
My thoughts: Just be careful that any relationship you foster (romantic or otherwise) doesn't hurt any professional relationship you might have as part of your work. It's not worth the hassle of losing your job over if the "wrong" people get wind of it.

Northsider
August 27th, 2008, 04:10 AM
You've known her before your job...so I think it's fine, the power issue is not as apparent as if she was your student and then you started dating or something. Besides, you're not even her teacher... as mentioned, just be professional when need be.

Roasted
August 27th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Oops. Too late. :P

We talked about how we would act at school, which would simply be a matter of saying hi as we pass each other and that's it. No stopping and talking for 15 minutes or hugging or making out in the janitor's closet, etc.

She's completely cool with it and understands. And I have ZERO power over her at all. If she dropped the F bomb in the hall I can't even yell at her for it. :lolflag:

RedPandaFox
August 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Oops. Too late. :P

We talked about how we would act at school, which would simply be a matter of saying hi as we pass each other and that's it. No stopping and talking for 15 minutes or hugging or making out in the janitor's closet, etc.

She's completely cool with it and understands. And I have ZERO power over her at all. If she dropped the F bomb in the hall I can't even yell at her for it. :lolflag:

Then there is absolutely nothing to worry about, my mate was in high school doing his VCE (leaving school cert thingy) while his girlfriend was the IT tech for all surrounding schools, that went fine. Only problem was she used Mac's in her spare time... -shudders-

Roasted
August 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Then there is absolutely nothing to worry about, my mate was in high school doing his VCE (leaving school cert thingy) while his girlfriend was the IT tech for all surrounding schools, that went fine. Only problem was she used Mac's in her spare time... -shudders-

Oh man. I don't know if I could handle a relationship with a die hard Mac fan.

That'd be like being a republican married to a democrat. :lolflag:

I don't know what VCE is though. Is it a grade school related thing? Or more college oriented?

RedPandaFox
August 27th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Oh man. I don't know if I could handle a relationship with a die hard Mac fan.

That'd be like being a republican married to a democrat. :lolflag:

I don't know what VCE is though. Is it a grade school related thing? Or more college oriented?

In Australia, every state is slightly different for schooling, NSW has Kinder, and grades 1-6 in primary school, then 7-12 in high school, with school certificate exam in year 10 and Higher school Certificate in year 12 (HSC and VCE are basically the same, your percentage rank in state) So the average student gets 50, top 1% get 99-100 for HSC or VCE, that is what the Universities here accept you on.

If that makes sense
(off topic much)

Roasted
August 27th, 2008, 05:19 AM
In Australia, every state is slightly different for schooling, NSW has Kinder, and grades 1-6 in primary school, then 7-12 in high school, with school certificate exam in year 10 and Higher school Certificate in year 12 (HSC and VCE are basically the same, your percentage rank in state) So the average student gets 50, top 1% get 99-100 for HSC or VCE, that is what the Universities here accept you on.

If that makes sense
(off topic much)

How about this...

What ages were the individuals you spoke about? That may be easier for me to grasp!

RedPandaFox
August 27th, 2008, 05:33 AM
17-18
*edit* he was 17-18, she was 19 I think

Roasted
August 27th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah... if she were 17, I wouldn't have pursued anything. Plus, if I were a teacher OR our relationship sprouted due to me meeting her on school grounds, then I would have stayed away.

But I can't help that somebody I already knew I ended up falling for and she ends up going to the school I work for. It's not like I'm an 82 year old teacher who wants some lovin. Just a 22 year old computer nerd who caught a good catch and she happens to be under the same roof as me. Sometimes, at least. Like I said, I manage elementary schools. :P