PDA

View Full Version : Getting schools and libraries to make the switch:

plantboy1
August 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I want to talk to some of the libraries and schools in my area about Edubuntu, since they have tons of problems with Windows and I'm sure that they would switch. There are two problems though:

First off, a book/cd/dvd/video cataloguing software for a library. I don't know of one for Ubuntu that can do what they need it to, be able to function in a library with keeping track of different kinds of media, be searchable, and keep track of where books are (in or checked out) and people, being able to access the information in an online database for library cards and such.

Second, a student database. My area uses Athena for media cataloguing, and it's networked through all the schools and libraries. Our school system uses a program called Sasi, which (other than failing all the time) keeps track of students, their grades, and all the information the school gathers about them, while having all the information accessable anywhere throughout the school district.

District-wide printer sharing through a really big LAN could probably be done, from what I know.

Are there programs that exist for these purposes? I would love to talk to libraries and schools in my area about Edubuntu, but without those softwares, then they won't switch.

Sef
August 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM
moved to community cafe.

Tux Aubrey
August 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM
You may pick up a few pointers from this article (http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;407925021;fp;2;fpid;1).

smartboyathome
August 27th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I would say they would rather use OSS on Windows itself than have to redo the whole system and reteach everyone. I, too, thought my school district would switch because they were still running some Mac OS9 comps, but they didn't want to unless it was Windows (I guess they were planning on switching anyway).

_sebastian_
August 27th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Hi,

I think what you want to do is a great idea!

Here are some thoughts which come to my mind you might want to consider in you preparation.

* slowly creeping change is sometimes better and people are not that resistant against.
* check if the catalogue software works in wine
* a linux catalogue software should provide similar features than the existing system, e.g. bar code scanners, guest and unser search on terminals
* a look at the linux terminal project might be good as for DB search and browsing a simple terminal should be sufficient
* a demonstration notebook might leave a good impression and deliver the right arguments and hands on experience to convince staff members or management

good luck to you!

Seb

plantboy1
August 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi,

I think what you want to do is a great idea!

Here are some thoughts which come to my mind you might want to consider in you preparation.

* slowly creeping change is sometimes better and people are not that resistant against.
* check if the catalogue software works in wine
* a linux catalogue software should provide similar features than the existing system, e.g. bar code scanners, guest and unser search on terminals
* a look at the linux terminal project might be good as for DB search and browsing a simple terminal should be sufficient
* a demonstration notebook might leave a good impression and deliver the right arguments and hands on experience to convince staff members or management

good luck to you!

Seb

I was thinking the same thing for the most part. The only thing is that I don't happen to own a notebook. I do however have 6 working windows 95 era desktops sitting around my house :p

sydbat
August 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
While your idea is noble, what with wanting to help out your school district and community library system, it may not be as easy as you may think. These organizations have IT departments and infrastructures that rarely allow outside software/OS's to be used without full consent of the governing body.

Find out who, exactly, you need to talk with about changing things. Then do the research to present a mostly comprehensive plan to that person/group of people. If you approach it the right way, you may find they are receptive to your ideas...and it will build your credibility, so you can use them as references in the future!