PDA

View Full Version : Songbird is GREAT

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Don't know if anyone has tried it, but I have nothing but good to say. This is the closest thing to Itunes out there. The main feature that I like is it has cleaned up my song lists so I no longer have duplicates. I am just starting to use it, so I don't know all the nuances to it. But I am finding that I love it. I tried it in the past about a year ago and did not like it. But it has gotten MUCH BETTER. I have used Amarok and Rythmbox in the past too.

If anyone wants to try a great program try Songbird. I don't think it is in the repos but I found it here. http://getsongbird.com/

Anyways, I thought I would share back with the community, that is why I started this thread.

Noah

Crafty Kisses
August 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
SongBird is OK, but I'd prefer Banshee.

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 02:57 AM
For me the fact that Songbird is cleaning up all the duplicates in my file system is GREAT.....I have copies of copies on different drives. My music library is so large that if I tried to fix it, it would take me a month. So I just got frustrated. If I had Itunes that would not be a problem. I tunes re-aranges everything for the user and deletes doubles. But seeing as how I am total Ubuntu, non dual boot user, Itunes is a no go.

OutOfReach
August 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Songbird is pretty good, but I also prefer Banshee.

Crafty Kisses
August 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Let's just hope in the upcoming release of Wine it can run iTunes to it's full potential.

nickgaydos
August 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I like songbird, but in order to use my iPod touch, I have to jailbreak it!

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 03:09 AM
When was the last time your tried Songbird? Because I use to think it sucked too. Last time I tried it was over 8 months ago. I was not impressed. But I think they finally have something that is comparable or even better in some respects than Itunes.

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 03:15 AM
The newest beta is pimp. Runs great!:guitar:

OutOfReach
August 27th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I tried it less then a week ago to try out the new release, as I said, it's alright but I prefer Banshee

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Only thing with it, for some reason it will not use my Beryle settings. Anyone have a clue how to fix that. I have my buttons on the Left like a MAC, so the normal right hand side stuff is messing with me.

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Alright, I got it to work. I think I needed some kind of add on. Not sure which one. I just installed a ton of them. There are SOOOO many addons for Songbird now.

Noah

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Darn, now I noticed that my top bar with all the File,edit,view parts is gone.

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM
anyone know how to get that bar back?

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
OK only way I figured out how to fix it was to delete the hidden file for song bird and then reinstall. Hope this helps someone else. Still digin the new Songbird though.

kiisu
August 27th, 2008, 06:48 AM
You actually just reminded me that I had Songbird on my computer, from months ago. I used to use it on my old iBook when it was first released.

I guess the reason I never used it is that it wouldn't play any of my music. What do I need to make it play mp3's? Anything special? I never really looked into it.

kiisu
August 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM
hmmm, well, the version of Songbird I had on my comp. was really old I suppose (ver 0.2)
I removed it and upgraded to the newest (0.7) and although it seemed to install fine, when I try to run it all that opens up is a blank white window.

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I would reinstall it. But look for the hidden file for songbird and delete that first. See if that helps.

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Does this start slow for anyone else?

nynoah
August 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Yes it does seem to start slow. But I think this is due to this being based off some form of internet search engine, or Java Script. I could be wrong. It does not have the same settings as a normal ubuntu program. It behaves more like a mozilla program.

Am I making sense, not sure how to explain my train of thought.

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes it does seem to start slow. But I think this is due to this being based off some form of internet search engine, or Java Script. I could be wrong. It does not have the same settings as a normal ubuntu program. It behaves more like a mozilla program.

Am I making sense, not sure how to explain my train of thought.
When you run a program in Ubuntu you are running a binary. Songbird uses a binary also, so it should not be any different.

Maybe I misunderstood you?

rossjman1
August 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
... I still think Amarok is the end-all of media players.

Madwida
August 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I tried Songbird, but when I plugged in my Ipod classic and clicked on the Ipod icon songbird told me that the version of Itunes I was using was too new. It thus could not read my Ipod. It would be able to rebuild it which would erase my playlists--not the end of the world if I want to simply play around with Songbird as I can simply resync my Ipod on my Mac.

I have an EEE PC 701 running HH Unbuntu EEE. I'd just like to be able to plug my Ipod and play it rather than store any music on my EEE.

Any ideas on how to get Songbird to read my Ipod?

Thanks a lot

PS: Rhythmbox works with my Ipod, Banshee does not seem to.

Madwida
August 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi

I made a mistake: it was Banshee that would not recognize my Ipod as described above; Songbird appears to be recognizing but it simply shows two arrows moving, with no sign of stopping, counterclockwise next to the name of my Ipod.

Help please. Thanks

easy_target
August 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
It might be synchronizing your database automatically when you plug it in.
I second the inital opinion about songbird. It looks great, works without a hitch for me. I love it.
Rhythmbox is biting the dust and this is a welcome addition to the multimidia section of my applications menu. :)

SuperSonic4
August 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
It's ok but not in the same league as amarok (which is default in kubuntu and mandriva, both of which I run)

pablo88
September 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I installed Amarok and it is good except . . .

. . . it appears that I cannot jump ahead in a podcast. Songbird 0.7 enables me to do that. Also, if they added a decent bookmarks system to SongBird, I'd probably end up using it as my default browser.

The other sticking point I've found with Songbird is that when it updates a podcast it automatically places the new updates into the download queue and starts to download them. However, all downloads fail for some reason, even though it obviously downloads the entire file.

Madwida
September 2nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
I finally got it to recognize my Ipod. I thought that after the initial run-through it mght be quicker the next--nope, it still took about 10 mins for it to pull up my list. Rhythmbox does it instantly. I want to like Songbird b/c I like Mozilla, but...