PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] stuck during/after installation!

spartan73
August 27th, 2008, 01:31 AM
hi all, brand new to the world of ubuntu, just installed it on my computer... went to click restart to finish the installation and my screen went on stand by, i tried to get it to come back on but nothing happens, i really can't understand what exactly is happening, i had to manually turn off my computer (hold down the power for 5 seconds) wait a few min then turn it back on. it comes up saying loading ubuntu then has the progress bar. i then progress to a screen saying (forgot the word) but its likea command line prompt? of type help for a list of commands, i'm not sure how i can progress past this scrren. nothing i do seems to let me start to load the desktop. i have tried installing ubuntu again insted and the same thing happens.

i have always had a problem with this computer as for some reason we it restarts it always puts the monitor n stand-by and i've never been able to awaken it from this state, no matter how much u click or wot buttons are pressed. this ONLY happens when the computer is restarted or its turned off and stright back on again. i just cnt seem to find the problem.

any help will be much appreciated

cheers arron

falcon61102
August 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM
The monitor sleep issue may be a setting in your BIOS. Have you tried looking in your BIOS settings for any monitor sleep settings?

spartan73
August 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for the reply, i have tried typin what you have said but its done nothing. it says command not found or something?! i have got a image of wot i'm seeing on the screen to help a bit more!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/spartan73/Image005.jpg

wpshooter
August 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
thanks for the reply, i have tried typin what you have said but its done nothing. it says command not found or something?! i have got a image of wot i'm seeing on the screen to help a bit more!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/spartan73/Image005.jpg

I don't understand your reply. The last poster didn't say anything about typing anything as far as I could see.

Also I don't see any image attached.

Thanks.

spartan73
August 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
i think i've made duplicate threads. i have another one were the reply was telling me to type something into the command like e, then e again ect but that didn't affect the start up at all

falcon61102
August 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Where you able to go into your BIOS and adjust the monitor settings. Based on your first post in that you said the monitor also goes to sleep when you turn it off, I don't believe that this is a problem with Ubuntu but with your computer itself. And since it doesn't seem OS specific the best place to start would probably be your BIOS.