PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on IBM a22m - video card issues

dsavitsk
August 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I am trying to install on an old IBM laptop. I can get the live cd to basically work, but when it gets to the desktop the output is weirdly distorted. basically, the screen is divided into thirds. On the left third, everything looks about correct. On the right third, everything is also more or less correct. However, the middle third is a repeat of the right third, which means that the middle has gone missing.

I am unable to get into the system menu to even tinker with screen resolutions as that portion of the menu is in the missing section. Is there anything to be done, or a way to maybe move the top menu bar to the left or right so I can see the system menu, or a shortcut to the configuration akin to right clicking the MS Windows desktop?

Thanks.

dsavitsk
August 27th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I managed to get X working on the computer with FreeBSD. I'd normally leave it at that as I have more BSD experience, and may if i can get all the software I need working. But, I'd still like to give Linux a shot here as I think it may prove easier to maintain on a laptop.

So, I can probably find the configuration file to edit it, but because the installer is graphical, I can't see enough to get it working. So, is there a good way to install without the graphical stuff, or to edit the installer? Do I just need a different distro?

plasmafusion
August 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
the alternate install cd uses a text based installer.

you can download it here (http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/releases/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso)...(ubuntu desktop 8.04.1)

hope this helps.