PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying a Dell computer

TheOrangePeanut
August 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I just got my residual check from my student loans and I' considering using a portion of it to buy a new computer. I usually build my own but I want one that I know is compatible with Linux and honestly I just don't feel like going through all the trouble of buying compatible parts and assembling it. So I'm considering a Dell.

I was looking through their Ubuntu inspiron options and I was able to configure a PC with a Q6600, 2GB of ram, and an Intel X3100 integrated card... the kicker is that all of that is less than 400 dollars (no monitor, of course). I questioned a representative about the computer and it has a free PCI-E slot, but it comes with a 300W PSU, which I think might be a problem if I ever intend to get a better video card. I do intend to do it one day (that day being when Diablo 3 comes out), so that's something I should think about too.

Should I ago ahead and upgrade to a Radeon HD 2400 Pro (60 more dollars) or or 2600 XT (100 more dollars)? If I don't, will I be able to upgrade the PSU in the machine so I can put a beefier card into it, or does Dell still use non-atx cases?

I mainly use my computer for school work (I'm a computer science major) and day to day tasks such as web browsing and e-mail. Anyone have any input?

Northsider
August 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not a big fan of Dell at all. ...but this is your decision, and I guess Dell is pretty good in terms of linux compatability.

liquidfunk
August 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I have a Dell! (In my signature). I'd really recommend Nvidia for Gaming. Currently I have an 8500GT, and that runs all my games fine.

Thing is with Linux is that specs are often a 1/3 of what you need for Windows.

I'm not sure about the PSU though.

TheOrangePeanut
August 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Can you suggest any other comparable prebuilt options? I honestly just don't feel like building a PC. The last one I built had a bad mobo and it was hell diagnosing the problem, and then I had to RMA the mobo and wait for a new one to come in, etc. Pain in the butt.

And Dell doesn't offer Nvidia cards in their Ubuntu desktops, but I woudln't want an Nvidia card right now to be honest anyway. I don't like how they basically rip out the DRI of x.org and rewrite it themselves.