PDA

View Full Version : How to get my own webpage

tikal26
November 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Hey:
I want to get my own webpage and buy my own domain but there are so many services available that i figured I would be better off where you bought you domain. Maybe you can tell me how much I need and what to avoid.

Malphas
November 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I'm with Topclasshost (http://www.topclasshost.com/). You might also want to consider Blogger (http://www.blogger.com/).

tikal26
November 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I can't do blogger because I neede to do post my portfolio. I have another question. I really don't know what bandwith is for and how much I need?

Sheco
November 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I can't do blogger because I neede to do post my portfolio. I have another question. I really don't know what bandwith is for and how much I need?

Bandwith is speed of the website's internet connection, if you're going to have a busy website, you might need a lot, but since you're starting, you don't need to worry about bandwith.

ssam
November 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
if it is for a personal page then you can probaly get away with a very basic service (but check that its all upgradable in the future).

you need to work out a few things about what you want the site to be able to do.

a 1 GB/month traffic would easily be enough for several thousand visits.

raw bandwidth is only necisary if you are offering big files, or have many symutaineous users.

do you need serverside scripting. something like a forum or a online shop generates each page as it is requested with information from a data base. if you pages are static then you dont need this. (in this context a static page can still have animated gifs/flash, javascript, buttons change colour when you move your mouse over them etc).

do you need ftp access. if you are just uploading a few pages and files then a webbased upload interface is ok. if you want to upload lots of stuff it can be very boring. also ftp can be scripted, or embeded into a web page editor.

one thing to be carefull about with domain names is check that you will actually own the name. some cheap place sort of lend it to you, but can legally ask take it back.

next you have to make the web site. web pages are made in html, which is fairly easy to learn. You can make a web page in any text editor, but few people do that these days. There are some editors like bluefish, that try and help you out with the code, but basically let you get on with it (what i use).

at the other end of the scale there are programs that let you make the page in a similar way to a word processor, and hide all the code. This is called WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), an example would be nvu. This is probably a good starting point, but i recomend that you try and learn at least a bit of html code.

stuporglue
November 14th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I use bluehost.com. They're really responsive with the support, and give you ftp and ssh access.

If you get a plan that includes a free domain name, they'll transfer ownership of that domain name to you at the end of your contract (give them a few months notice though so the registration doesn't expire).

Malphas
November 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM
A lot of people still use text editors, particularly professional web designers. It's by far the most efficient and precise way to make your CSS/(X)HTML.

tikal26
November 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM
stuporglue
good to see another lds in the forum
It sounds good but I am wondering if you have signed up as part of their affiliate program so that when I sign up you can get some money for reffering me. I did some html before while I was in high schol but blue fish looks interesting. Anyone knows about quanta?

Ride Jib
November 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I have used Interland (http://www.interland.com) for roughly the past 10 years. I have never had a problem with them, and their rates are very reasonable.

jeffreyvergara.NET
November 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM
if you want cheap hosting, look at my sig, or try to visit www.ugtech.net