PDA

View Full Version : New Montior doing crazy thing

mowque
August 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I got a new montoir for my Compaq desktop. It worked fine for about 2 mintues, then went crazy. After extensive use i have figured out what is happening. The top thrid of the screen is ok, but it seems to be rolling the bottom half 'underneath' the top part. Meaning, the bottom half of the screen is black, but all the info is thier, but tucked away under the top half. Any idea how fix/diganose the problem? all i did was plug the montior in.

fedex1993
August 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Is this a dvi or vga cable being plugged into the computer. If it is vga adjust the paramters of the monitor.

mowque
August 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM
whatever the blue cable is? What type of parameters and how do i change them? (This is my XP machine, hence why i am in this forum)

mowque
August 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
*shamesleslly bumps thread*

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
What doe the end going into your computer look like? Is it like either of these - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Adapter_DVI_to_VGA.jpg/800px-Adapter_DVI_to_VGA.jpg

mowque
August 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The blue one

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
OK. You should be able to go into "Monitor Properties" and change the resolution (in Gnome - System > Preferences > Screen Resolution).

Also, there should be some buttons on the front of the monitor that allow you to change certain settings of the monitor itself. The Instruction Manual that came with your monitor should have this information. If you did not get a manual, a quick Google of your exact monitor type should bring up something to help you.

mowque
August 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I've tried all of this stuff so far. The screen just gets better resoltion but it is still distorted..

sydbat
August 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Can you take a picture of it? Not a screen capture (although that might help too), but a photo. If we could see what it was doing, someone here might be able to help.

mowque
August 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
No way to take a picture...