PDA

View Full Version : Where to find these stuff?

theswan
November 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone. I'm kinda new in this Ubuntu OS, and I'm very interested in learning this new OS. After successful install, i tried to open some avi files then, i get an error message saying that no codec found.

anyone knows where can i get freeware of the best utilities that can run under Ubuntu OS? like DVD burner s/w, video player, DVD player, mp3 player, etc...:confused:

also, during installation i skipped the part about network configuration...so now, i can't access internet in Ubuntu OS. (i'm in dual boot mode with Win XP)...how do i configure the internet settings? i'm using a notebook actually. wi-fi connection.

thanks for any help. cheers! :)

raublekick
November 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Try a search in Synaptic Package Manager for "gstreamer"

Look for gstreamer0.8-plugins and gstreamer0.8-plugins-multiverse

kanenas.net
November 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM
which version of Ubuntu do you use theswan ???

tehwa
November 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Hi,

This document will be very useful to you also:

http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/faqguide-all.html

This is the official FAQ, it links to .avi playback resources.

In terms of networking, play around in the network manager on the GNOME menu under:

System >> Administration >> Networking

...and see if your hardware is properly detected.

teaker1s
November 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
wifi someone will help with when you have the internet connection fire up add applications and you can search apps or select advanced and you will have more choice

theswan
November 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
wow! people here reply fast.
hello, teaker. the problem is the connection is not set-up. so far, i only have connection when im under windows...=(
kanenas, im using ubuntu 5.10

Sirin
November 14th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hello everyone. I'm kinda new in this Ubuntu OS, and I'm very interested in learning this new OS. After successful install, i tried to open some avi files then, i get an error message saying that no codec found.

anyone knows where can i get freeware of the best utilities that can run under Ubuntu OS? like DVD burner s/w, video player, DVD player, mp3 player, etc...:confused:

also, during installation i skipped the part about network configuration...so now, i can't access internet in Ubuntu OS. (i'm in dual boot mode with Win XP)...how do i configure the internet settings? i'm using a notebook actually. wi-fi connection.

thanks for any help. cheers! :)

"Linux isn't Windows." use the command line.

Type

sudo apt-get gstreamer0.8-plugins

kanenas.net
November 14th, 2005, 08:08 PM
theswan, check this out...

http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

;)

theswan
November 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM
hello people...haven't figured out how can i set up the internet connection when im in Ubuntu...=(
when using Windows...it allows me to search for all wi-fi network that is inside my range... do you have anything like that in Ubuntu?

thanks!