PDA

View Full Version : Funding an Open Source Project

b3n87
August 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey all.

At my work place there has been talk about buying a Windows program, like AutoCAD / AutoDesk etc. to view, open and create 3D Cad files. The software is very expensive and training and futher support has to be paid for (obviously).

I'm hoping, if I can get a plan together with help from you guys, to propose that the company fund an open source project and make a 3D Cad viewer / creator our selves by employing 1 maybe 2 people to do it.

I work in an engineering firm, and have the highest level of skills in IT at work so im prepared to lead the project - I just need some help from you guys on how to convince my directors that this is a good idea.

Obvious key benefits are:

Control over development
A big contribution to the open source community

I need to know where I can find developers who can do this? How much its going to cost? Possible time estimates? Is there an agency of some kind that deals with this kind of work (finding developers for you)? Etc. Etc.

Any input and thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

zachtib
August 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey all.

At my work place there has been talk about buying a Windows program, like AutoCAD / AutoDesk etc. to view, open and create 3D Cad files. The software is very expensive and training and futher support has to be paid for (obviously).

I'm hoping, if I can get a plan together with help from you guys, to propose that the company fund an open source project and make a 3D Cad viewer / creator our selves by employing 1 maybe 2 people to do it.

I work in an engineering firm, and have the highest level of skills in IT at work so im prepared to lead the project - I just need some help from you guys on how to convince my directors that this is a good idea.

Obvious key benefits are:

Control over development
A big contribution to the open source community

I need to know where I can find developers who can do this? How much its going to cost? Possible time estimates? Is there an agency of some kind that deals with this kind of work (finding developers for you)? Etc. Etc.

Any input and thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

I'd love to see an open-source CAD tool, but that would be a big job for 1 or 2 people.

b3n87
August 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I found this 3D platform that could be useful

http://www.opencascade.org/

tom66
August 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe, just maybe, could the monopoly be removed by having open formats?

You could also fund it through selling training, support and certification, like MySQL and a few other companies do. It's quite effective.

clinux
August 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.linuxappfinder.com/graphics/cad

ssam
August 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
freecad http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php?title=Main_Page looks pretty advanced and active.

I suggest you figure out a detailed list of what your company needs, compare it too freecad, see what is missing (might be nothing). then contact the freecad developer. maybe you could hire him/her to work on it full time (assuming (s)he does not already).