PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Upgrading from Ubuntu Edgy w/MythTV to Mythbuntu 8.04...

kpatz
August 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I built a MythTV box a couple years ago that is (still) running Edgy 6.10. On my to-do list is to upgrade this box to Hardy, and upgrade the MythTV to the latest version.

This box is already tweaked, and has programs recorded on it, which I don't want to lose. So I'm debating whether to install Ubuntu Hardy and then install MythTV separately, or to start over using Mythbuntu.

I plan on backing everything up before doing the upgrade, including the MySQL databases. Is it possible to load a database from MythTV 0.20.2 into a MythTV 0.21 or Mythbuntu 8.04 install? According to the MythTV site, database updates are applied automatically, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Basically, I would back up the database and media files (which are on a separate partition), install Mythbuntu, then restore the database over the one created on install.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this? Tips?

TIA...
KJP

.nedberg
August 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I did a KnoppMyth -> Mythbuntu Feisty -> Mythbuntu Hardy update a while ago.

From KnoppMyth I did as you describe (backup data + database). I then installed Mythbuntu and loaded the database and recordings.

Here is a link to a thread I started when I changed from KnoppMyth to Mythbuntu.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=609564

Feisty -> Hardy was just a walk in the park with no problems.

You should be able to do a normal upgrade to Feisty, then to Hardy. But still backup everything!

A new install of Hardy would be a bit more work, but it might be worth it...