PDA

View Full Version : What (if any) linux does your college use?

Griff
August 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
My school has windows/mac/sun/linux computer labs. In terms of linux we used suse until this summer. Now it's all ubuntu ( :D ). The switch happened when all the linux machines were replaced with new dual-core behemoths (20" widescreen monitors too, yay!). It made me wonder. What does your school employ?

Nepherte
August 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
The computer science department uses Ubuntu only.
The electrical engineering department used to have Red Hat, but recently switched to CentOS.
The rest of the university uses Windows XP / Ubuntu.

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Red Hat. Other than that, they use Windows XP

grossaffe
August 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
George Mason University has Fedora on their linux boxes.

Joeb454
August 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
None on the workstations (I think a few have Fedora vm's on though).

There's a Fedora 8 server somewhere too (not sure if it's upgraded to Fedora 9)

y@w
August 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The school I went to wanted nothing to do with open source or anything not made by Microsoft or Cisco. But just before I graduated, machines running live CDs of slax started showing up in the library randomly. I'm guessing they didn't want the headache of imaging the workstations and just needed to be able to reboot them every day with a fresh image.

Orlsend
August 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
My School were given free lincense's for the Windows OS, We only Have like 23

I think they have XP rigth now

piousp
August 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
My college used to have openSuse. Now they have Ubuntu!
Also, they got some sun workstations with solaris!

Bachstelze
August 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Fedora on our workstations and one some servers, and Debian on other servers I guess. Also some Windows rooms for the engineering software that works only on it. Fedora is quite decent, but I don't use it much anyway since I bring my laptop to do my work on. Wouldn't use it at home, though.

Pinoy915
August 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I do not know about now but when I was a Computer Science major, they had XP/Fedora. I am a Computer Engineer major now and they use XP/CentOS.

happysmileman
August 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Not in college yet but the one I plan to go to uses Suse and XP (At least they did when I went there at some point in the last year)

jomiolto
August 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
XP and Fedora Core dual-boot on regular computers, no Linux on servers (we've got AIX and Solaris instead :D ).

grizzlelegend
August 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Every Computer Vista or XP... :(

slmouradian
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
They use Debian and XP in my dept.

Polygon
August 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The school I went to wanted nothing to do with open source or anything not made by Microsoft or Cisco. But just before I graduated, machines running live CDs of slax started showing up in the library randomly. I'm guessing they didn't want the headache of imaging the workstations and just needed to be able to reboot them every day with a fresh image.

my college uses mostly mac os x and windows xp/vista, and they have this really nifty program called Deep Freeze which basically either deletes any chances made to the installation when its rebooted, or it just re-images the disk...either way, if you install something or screw something up, you just reboot and it boots up like they first just set up the computer, so its impossible to bork them.

Newuser1111
August 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
my college uses mostly mac os x and windows xp/vista, and they have this really nifty program called Deep Freeze which basically either deletes any chances made to the installation when its rebooted, or it just re-images the disk...either way, if you install something or screw something up, you just reboot and it boots up like they first just set up the computer, so its impossible to bork them.But it's easy to remove DeepFreeze.

sephiroth2212
August 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Windows and Solaris

Jordanwb
August 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
My high school's server runs Novell does that count? The only other computer that ran Linux was when I brought my laptop to school.

zachtib
August 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I know we have SUSE boxes around campus, and possibly some Redhat as well. There's also an Ubuntu box in the ACM lab (but that's student run)

bigbrovar
August 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2696324825_44fefb3af3_d.jpg
ubuntu all the way

Bölvağur
August 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
None on the workstations (I think a few have Fedora vm's on though)

And I think the user data are kept on Suse.

Xanatos Craven
August 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
There's a few lab rooms with old Fedora installs, most of them dual-boot. Not sure how old, but I recall pre-1.0 versions of Firefox being on them.

The college is almost entirely Windows, though, and no Macs whatsoever. I imagine this has something to do with all of their educational software being Windows-only.

armageddon08
August 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Our Computer Science Department uses RedHat. All others use Windows XP. We guys have been provided laptops and our college server hosts Fedora for us to download. So most of the students use Fedora8/9 dual-booted with WinXP. But I dual-boot XP and Hardy.

BrokenKingpin
August 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
When I was in college (been out for a year now) we had to have a Linux distro on our personal laptop. The college wanted us to use SuSE so most of the class used that. I used Ubuntu because I hate SuSE.

zmjjmz
August 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
My school's (ok, not college, highschool) IT guy is die hard Win2K/WinXP.
There was a Vista machine once, but it was quarantined in bubble wrap until the IT guy installed XP on it.

vanden12
August 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I go to Oakland Community College and all we have is windows...

You guys are way more lucky..

Polygon
August 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
But it's easy to remove DeepFreeze.

no it isnt...the account that you get to use (default one) doesn't have permissions to uninstall programs. so unless your suggesting booting from a live cd and erasing the files, i dunno if that would work cause i dunno if the computer would even start up. Hell, they may even have boot from cd turned off and the bios locked, so your kinda screwed there.

either way, its to prevent random people from messing up the installation, im sure its not meant to deter determined tech savvy people, cause im sure a staff member or someone else would wonder what the hell your doing.

LateNiteTV
August 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
we had an fc4 lab, solaris 8 lab, hp-ux 11i lab, and an osx lab.