PDA

View Full Version : My Wish List Part II :)

Sniffer
December 23rd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Finally i think my ubuntu Server is ROLLING =D>

But as everyone, special in this time here it comes my wishlist, just some modifications i need to make everytime i need to install ubuntu....

1 - Substitute From the Box Evolution with Thunderbird

2 - Openoffice is good but is FAT.....i really prefer Abiword, Gnumeric, Dia so i always uninstall openoffice....

3 - Gui for xmame (gxmame)??? i haven't found any deb package even on hoary rep..

4 - Emulators should BE installed (like mupen64, znes, visualboyadvance, gens, xmame all of them with appropriate gui) why?? Because every ones know the BIG LACK in linux is the GAMES

5 - Firestarter Firewall...THIS IS A MUST HAVE in my opinion.

6 - WHERE IS MPLAYER??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BEST AND ONLY PLAYER IN THE WORLD............TOTEM....NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT :)

7 - Sound Juicer....nope.....GRIP is better (audiophonics choice)

8 - XMMS....YES.....RHBox..please NO

9 - K3B should be there also...burning with nautilus and with Roast is a PAIN.....

In resume if hoary aims for the average user......this kind of stuff should be out of the Box...

nocturn
December 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM

I disagree here, but that is again a matter of personal preference. As Ubuntu is a Gnome oriented distro, I do think that Evolution is a logical choice, but that is just my opinion.

2 - Openoffice is good but is FAT.....i really prefer Abiword, Gnumeric, Dia so i always uninstall openoffice....

Diagree here. For people switching from Windows, it is already a big step from MS office to OpenOffice. The switch to the much lighter alternatives is much greater. For people who are used to Linux, replacing OpenOffice with * is easy enough

4 - Emulators should BE installed (like mupen64, znes, visualboyadvance, gens, xmame all of them with appropriate gui) why?? Because every ones know the BIG LACK in linux is the GAMES

Again, I disagree. For people with the technical skills to use (or know) about emulation, installing these should not present a problem.
For the newbie user however, they are useless.

There will also be a lot of users who are not interested in games (or use a seperate gaming console for that).

Again, I think not. On a secure Lan, with a default install you do not need a firewall on the host itself.
For newbie users, the firewall will break more things then it protects, so they will either dump Linux, or learn how to turn off the firewall, the former is more likely.

6 - WHERE IS MPLAYER??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BEST AND ONLY PLAYER IN THE WORLD............TOTEM....NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT :)

Agree 100%. Although I understand that the win32 codecs can not be bundled for legal reasons, something that is easily fixed (wget or marilat repo).

Again, I agree. XMMS is the better/simpeler player here. But I understand that the Ubuntu teams do not want to bundle an MP3 player because of the patent issue.

9 - K3B should be there also...burning with nautilus and with Roast is a PAIN.....

Agree, although it would be more consistent if there was a Gnome program for this (not that I prever Gnome, but it improves consistency).
In the meantime, K3B is a good workarround (of all the KDE programs, this is by far the best IMO).

Sniffer
December 23rd, 2004, 03:19 PM
I trully understand your opinions regarding evolution, is a question of taste...but i really like to see together firefox with thunderbird.

On openoffice...again i understand that is the most complete officesuite together with staroffice...but is heavy to load and i really prefer the lightweight as you called it of abiword / gnumeric / dia and they do almost the job of openoffice.....

Firewall to me at any OS is a must have, i have no comments to make here...

Regarding Roms and Emulation, i think this small emulators are a good step for beginners, again with the appropriate gui and some roms you can play good games and at the same time capt the attencion of windows to linux users....

In short time they are tryng cedega and are converted to our RELIGION :D

Like you said i don't like KDE but K3B is the best burn app at the moment and gnome dont have yet one close to it....

FORGOT: maybe an antivirus yould be a good idea also...regarding that newbies will have much info on their NTFS / FAT32 partitions

gheorghe_pop
December 23rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Hello!
Here is my opinion.
1.Let Evolution in because i like it very much:).If you like Thunderbird you can install it lather.(I don't like Firefox too.Whay?Because it's not integrated with Gnome.Epiphany roks!)
2.Openoffice it's super.It's much bether than Abiword,Gnumeric or Dia.
3.No comment
4.No emulators please.Except WINE wich it's not a emulator:)
5.Yes please put Firestarter in Ubuntu!
6.Yes please put Mplayer in Ubuntu!I can't use subtitles with Totem.
7.No comment
8.RHBox it's greath.I don't use XMMS or BMP no more.
9.Graveman it's greath.:)To bad i can't use it on my computer.

word_virus
December 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Bored at work so I'll throw in my $.02

1 - While I think Firefox is a great piece of software, I don't think Thunderbird is quite ready for primetime yet and really prefer Evolution when running Linux.

2 - OpenOffice is definitely a little pudgy, but quicker on Gnome than KDE (ugh). Let it stand.

3 - I think including mame and the GUI is not a bad idea, but a lot of those other emulators you mentioned run software of a... dubious legal nature and I don't necessarily know if their inclusion is in keeping with the spirit of the ubuntu project.

5 - I think Firestarter is a great program (at least until someone ports OpenBSD's 'pf') and super easy to use and I, personally, wouldn't connect to the Internet without some kind of firewall, but I don't know that it's inclusion is absolutely necessary. ClamAV on the other hand.....

6 - I think compiling MPlayer from source is a good first challenge for new users <g>. Something should replace Totem, though, 'cause it's been broken out of the box on every machine I have installed ubuntu on. Xine, maybe?

7 - I'm pretty happy with Sound Juicer but my ripping software of choice is cdex (for speed) and EAC (for quality).

8 - XMMS absolutely. Maybe ubuntu could take a page from Red Hat and include a copy of XMMS in the base system without the MP3 libraries?

9 - K3B is a great program. I'd love to see a version that integrates more smoothly with the ubuntu default theme.

There. That ate up a few minutes.

flibblesan
December 24th, 2004, 10:49 PM
8 - XMMS absolutely. Maybe ubuntu could take a page from Red Hat and include a copy of XMMS in the base system without the MP3 libraries?

Why not Beep Media Player instead of XMMS?? It's a fork of XMMS that uses GTK2 instead of the older GTK1 that XMMS uses. Also it's being updated a lot more than XMMS.

mistic
December 25th, 2004, 01:52 PM
on gentoo i allways use gcombust (which DOES integrate well with gnome, but apparently its not in APT yet...)

sgnlfive
December 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I prefer to use VLC (wxvlc) instead of Mplayer. It seems to handle all my media with no problems, even has a nice Mozilla plugin for streaming content.

yarc
December 26th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Why not Beep Media Player instead of XMMS?? It's a fork of XMMS that uses GTK2 instead of the older GTK1 that XMMS uses. Also it's being updated a lot more than XMMS.
I agree on this one. Beep Media Player is far superior to XMMS, which has had basically no development going on the last couple of years.

So... A backport of Beep media player would be nice.

shimon
December 26th, 2004, 03:06 AM

No, thunderbird is not part of gnome

me too and my friends which knows nothing about computer only lernt what a mouse is 1 month ago says he likes abiword better... but then its not a site and openoffice is

3 - Gui for xmame (gxmame)??? i haven't found any deb package even on hoary rep..

what?

bloat

not needed no ports are open by default

totem is better

7 - Sound Juicer....nope.....GRIP is better (audiophonics choice)

read next

no as xmms is not part of gnome and rhbox is and rhbox is going to be gnome's audio ripping/burner

no, k3b wound mean the kde libs have to be bundled... and anyway gnome-baker is way better now when is it going into debian its even more stable than k3b

In resume if hoary aims for the average user

umm the advrage user doesn't play know what Emulators are at all

......this kind of stuff should be out of the Box...

and ubuntu should also be on 3 dvds :roll:

:roll:

TravisNewman
December 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM
OK Nobody has asked this yet, so I'm going to...

Why the flip is this in the backports section?

shimon
December 27th, 2004, 01:12 AM
OK Nobody has asked this yet, so I'm going to...

Why the flip is this in the backports section?
because this thread SUCKS and is complate crap

TravisNewman
December 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM
because this thread SUCKS and is complate crap
Haha... No, really, don't be shy! Tell us how you really feel! ;)

shimon
December 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Haha... No, really, don't be shy! Tell us how you really feel! ;)
LOL

Sniffer
December 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thread where members can post what they use / need / and would like to see as default in hoary........

K3B still rocks (Gnoppix is an example) and almost everyone in the house the 1st thing they do is to install K3B.....but as you i really hope that something at the same level appears in gnome...my fav env.

But what the hell, you have the right to your opinion....

TravisNewman
December 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
No, that's not the point, you put it in the Ubuntu Backports section, and this has NOTHING to do with the Backports project. This is something that should either go in Community Chat or Hoary Development. I'm a moderator, but I don't have mod privileges here so I can't do anything about it. Maybe when people get back from Xmas break, jdong can move it appropriately.

jdong
January 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
As far as replacing default apps, I feel that's way beyond my territory. Most of your requests are a matter of personal preference.

P.S. Watch it --- let's not get too aggressive here....

BWF89
January 1st, 2005, 05:37 AM
I think Hoary coming preinstalled with loads of Roms & Emulators would be step in the right direction. The average user likes to play games, Linux doesn't have a whole lot of games, so....................MAKE THE OS COME PREINSTALLED WITH THEM! It's not brain surgery...

TravisNewman
January 1st, 2005, 07:33 AM
That would involve having the rights to all the roms. The only free roms are REALLY crappy. Thus, the games included are better than roms and emulators ever could be.