PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot Install Grub - SOS

almos.dinnyes
August 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Dear All,

my mother's laptop had XP and Xubuntu, now she decided to use Linux only.
First I tried to install an other linux distro - UHU Linux - due to some HW problems, but I decided to reinstall Ubuntu or Xubuntu. But I cannot!!! It is not able to install neither grub nor lilo. :(

I tried Ubuntu 7.04, 8.04.1 Xubuntu 8.04.1 alternate. But it doesn't work. Other linux distros - e.g. ZenWalk - or even XP can be installed, but not the Ubuntu. Why? What could be the problem?

I tried to install grub from the live cd, but doesn't install correctly: the menu.lst is missing.

Please, help me!

Pumalite
August 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Post your specs.

jigsaws
August 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Is your system installed? You should have menu.lst at /boot/grub/ but not at live cd. So you have to boot system (for example from live cd), then chroot to you hard drive installation. Then check your menu.lst and install grub.

almos.dinnyes
August 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Is your system installed? You should have menu.lst at /boot/grub/ but not at live cd. So you have to boot system (for example from live cd), then chroot to you hard drive installation. Then check your menu.lst and install grub.

I don't have menu.lst on the mounted drive. After the installation I don't have grub under /boot, this is why I tried to install grub using the Live CD. It works, but doesn't create the menu.lst. :(

It seems, that this is a bug :( I found here a description, but the suggested solution doesn't work
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/63869

almos.dinnyes
August 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
What specs do you mean?

Pumalite
August 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Memory, graphics, number and type of hard drives.

caljohnsmith
August 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I don't have menu.lst on the mounted drive. After the installation I don't have grub under /boot, this is why I tried to install grub using the Live CD. It works, but doesn't create the menu.lst. :(

It seems, that this is a bug :( I found here a description, but the suggested solution doesn't work
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/63869
Let's say "sdaX" is your Ubuntu partition; to install Grub to it from the Live CD, you can do the following:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt [assumes you don't have sdaX mounted anywhere else, if so, "umount" it first]
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
That installs Grub to the MBR, and configures Grub to point to your sdaX partition for its system files, including menu.lst. "grub-install" does everything to install Grub except create a menu.lst, so you'll then need to do:

sudo chroot /mnt
sudo apt-get install grub [this makes sure you at least have the Grub package installed]
sudo update-grub
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
And post your menu.lst back here so we can make sure it is OK.

almos.dinnyes
August 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Memory, graphics, number and type of hard drives.

128 MB ram, 40 GB harddisk, graphics - don't know integrated

almos.dinnyes
August 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
SOLVED:
I installed XP, and during the installation I created two partitions. After I installed xubuntu alternative, and removed the empty NTFS partition. Now it works. :)
So it was not enough to install XP, or using fixmbr.

Thanks for your help!