PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy for an AMD Notebook (64 Bit) - 32 or 64 Bit

applecookie
August 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hello.

I would like to make a new clean hardy installation on my new hp pavilion notebook. Normally I can install also the 64 bit version on it. How are the experiences of you - is the 64 bit version worth a try or should I go the "normal way" and use the 32 bit version?
What about speed and stability?
Ram ist 3 GB.

Regards
applecookie

overdrank
August 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hello.

I would like to make a new clean hardy installation on my new hp pavilion notebook. Normally I can install also the 64 bit version on it. How are the experiences of you - is the 64 bit version worth a try or should I go the "normal way" and use the 32 bit version?
What about speed and stability?
Ram ist 3 GB.

Regards
applecookie

Hi and I would say if you have a system that will use 64bit the by all means use it. I have been totally happy since I started using the 64bit. I noticed the speed difference right off the bat. Enjoy :)

ilrudie
August 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I have found very few disadvantages to using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. The only thing that bothers me about it right now is I can't find a 64-bit version of the Amazon mp3 downloader software. Everything else works great.

de0xyrib0se
August 26th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Go 64 and dont look back!

applecookie
August 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Hi.
Thanks four posts.
I should say - I want to use softmaker office, lindvd, manage my mp3s and my digicam photos. If possible, play some games (tomatoes, nexiuz, openarena).
Regards

applecookie

davidsrsb
August 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
There are still a few issues with 64 bit, especially 3rd party closed source software like Flash. Ubuntu 8.10 will probably be rather better than 804.1

You should try a live cd to see if your soundcard, wireless etc runs under 64 bit

applecookie
August 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hi.
My wireless card do not work in Ubuntu 8. In 32bit also not.
In 7.10 I needed to install madwifi and compile the new madwifi drivers to make it work. Maybe it's the same in 8.04.1.