PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite GPL'd newsreader

BoyOfDestiny
November 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Well I'm linux only now. Before I used xnews (I know I could use it via wine, but I'd like something gpl).

I've been looking around and pan seems highly recommended for binaries...but it's performance (running on breezy 64) is poor. It gobbles about 1000mb of ram just trying to list groups with a lot of messages.

Anyway, I'm wondering for those who download binaries, do you use a reader and then a tool like nget?
Or is there some sort of app that is similar to xnews (I'd prefer gtk, but textmode would be fine too) that caters to binary downloaders but doesn't eat huge amount of resources...

Thanks!

sal
November 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
pan is a resource hog. try klibido. it's nice and fast.

-Rick-
November 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Agreed...klibido is much better than pan. Especially the latest version.
I use the commandline utility 'par2cmdline' for checking par files.

Cupido
November 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I am also searching for a good newsreader.
Pan is fine for small newsgroups, but it can't handle groups as a.b.boneless or a.b.dvd. They are simply too big.
klibido seems to be allright, but that is for KDE and as i use gnome, that doesn't seem to be an option (can't get it working right).
I also am looking into BNR2, but also that doesn't seem to do what i want a newsreader to do.
Right now, i'm gonna look into ximian (ximian.org) a program a friend told me to try.

Brunellus
November 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
pan is really getting me down.

slrn so far has been awesome.

Cupido
November 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM
slnr??