PDA

View Full Version : The whys of IP Block's IP list

cwrann
August 26th, 2008, 12:56 AM
This isn't necessarily an Ubuntu question so I think it belongs here.

I just installed IP block and was curious about some of the organizations that are blocked by default. Most of them are obvious but why block the IP address' coming from educational institutions? I'm sure there is a good reason, I'm just curious.

Also, one of the default blocked groups is defined as "Spoofed IP address'"
What is a "Spoofed IP Address"?

I appreciate any input. It's not a real problem, I just can't find a description of the reasons that these organizations are on the default block list.

cwrann
August 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Well, I found the definition of "spoofed IP Adresses". It's basically exactly what it sounds like and makes since to block. But still, why the educational institutions? What are they up to that I don't know about?

Dremora
August 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Most of those IP block lists go way fricken overboard.

If you block educational ranges, you're just walling off bored college students on a university Tier 3 line, who are also seeders. :P

Those lists are also highly questionable, since there's nothing saying RIAA, Media Defender, etc. can't also track P2P/Bittorrent users at their home, on their private DSL/Cable line. ;)

MaindotC
August 26th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I go to Morrisville State College and our IT department handles RIAA notices daily (I worked there). Students participating in illegal file transfers eventually come down to the help desk to determine why their computer isn't connecting to the internet anymore and it's because the administrator shut off communication from their NIC with the campus network.

Not only does the administrator have to carry out the orders of the RIAA attorney that filed the notice, but he must return any information regarding that matter, and it could very well include information about peers that connected to the student's machine that is the subject of the investigation (and eventual fine or imprisonment).

Dremora
August 26th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I go to Morrisville State College and our IT department handles RIAA notices daily (I worked there). Students participating in illegal file transfers eventually come down to the help desk to determine why their computer isn't connecting to the internet anymore and it's because the administrator shut off communication from their NIC with the campus network.

Not only does the administrator have to carry out the orders of the RIAA attorney that filed the notice, but he must return any information regarding that matter, and it could very well include information about peers that connected to the student's machine that is the subject of the investigation (and eventual fine or imprisonment).

There typically is no imprisonment for copyright infringement unless you're making a bazillion copies and selling them, it's strictly a civil matter.

If the industry started pressing criminal charges, there would be an even bigger backlash against them for wasting even more public resources.