PDA

View Full Version : RANT - Vista vs Linux (Gaming)

fatality_uk
August 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Well thanks Vista for totally screwing with my online gaming. Having played ETQW on Linux without a hitch for months, I have had to switch to Vista due to a new PC and this rig not not being compatible with Linux, any distro. Now every 15-20 mins under Vista, I am disconnected from the ETQW servers.

It didn't happen under XP. It certainly never happened under Linux
Bah. I am hoping the addition of a new nVidia 8800GTX will allow me to install Ubuntu once again and get back to sensible computing. Otherwise I might just go into a corner and cry :(

jgrabham
August 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Well thanks Vista for totally screwing with my online gaming. Having played ETQW on Linux without a hitch for months, I have had to switch to Vista due to a new PC and this rig not not being compatible with Linux, any distro. Now every 15-20 mins under Vista, I am disconnected from the ETQW servers.

It didn't happen under XP. It certainly never happened under Linux
Bah. I am hoping the addition of a new nVidia 8800GTX will allow me to install Ubuntu once again and get back to sensible computing. Otherwise I might just go into a corner and cry :(

This may be an odd question, but if it's not compatible, why did you buy it?

fatality_uk
August 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Obviously I didn't KNOW it wouldn't be compatible!!!

It's a Dell 530. It has an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 which is a great chip and a big fat HD with dual DVD writer for £259 at Tesco. Seeing as I can't buy that chip for less than about £150 inc vat & P&P, I saw this as a good deal. My Old combo of a P4 and geforce 7900gt was getting on a bit. I took the gt and stuck it in here and all hell broke lose. I have installed Ubuntu onto many, many machines and never had a conflict, ce la vie!!

nrs
August 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Just as I think it's unfair when Windows users complain about the quality of Linux when they didn't bother to check whether their hardware / software (wine) is supported I think it's unfair to plant the blame on Vista.

fatality_uk
August 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
it has nothing to do with compatibility. I ran native Linux etqw client (1) Its the fact Vista drops my server connection, which others have noticed, where as Linux never did. Due to the nature of Tesco stores, can't really try a live cd. Plus, the live cd works a treat with Ubuntu and installs perfectly. Just when I install nVidia drivers (any) it goes wrong. The 64 version works with nvidia drivers, but then I can't run etqw Linux client

RedPandaFox
August 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Slightly off topic but I work in a video game shop, and whenever someone comes in to buy a PC game for under $50 AUD, I ask them if its for XP or Vista when they hand it to me.
If they say Vista, I politely say "There is no way in hell I'm selling you this game as you will be back tomorrow" Then find them a better game and discount it for there troubles.

Probably 90% of our refunds at the moment are people who get home and find that most of there games wont work on Vista, and the only people who DONT find this problem, is those who are knowledgeable to:
a) not buy the games in the first place
or
B) research or patch games.

AdrianStrays
August 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Normally I don't like video gaming because its a waste of time, but I recently reinstalled Windows (what a nightmare!) so I could play this "Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Beta" with my little brother. Man-oh-man, its fun. I think its good, although I don't have much of a frame of reference. I might actually buy the real thing when it comes out...

Cap'n Skyler
August 26th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i'll blame vista.

grEnAlEins
August 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I love Vista!!

It was so atrocious that it inspired me to begin dabbling with various Linux distros, chiefly Ubuntu and variants.

oldsoundguy
August 26th, 2008, 02:41 AM
there is a program in XP called "Windows Zero Configuration" and it has a counterpart in Vista.

The program has to be disabled for most on line activities as it will shut down your on line and go searching for a stronger wireless signal .. even if the signal you are using is the preferred WEP and is 5 bars! (Now the program is OK if you are war driving .. but really sux if you are sitting at home or elsewhere for any period of time.)

BUT it can not be shut down if you do not have a utility for your wireless (3rd party such as a D-Link). If you are dealing with a built in Broadcom chip, you are S.O.L.

http://www.wlanbook.com/disable-windows-vista-wireless-zero-configuration/

jgrabham
August 26th, 2008, 03:06 AM
REMOVED - didn't read the quoted post properly.

wolfen69
August 26th, 2008, 04:23 AM
i will tip my hat as far as windows gaming. duh. it's obvious that game makers focus on windows. but i'm not a gamer. if i want to game on linux, i put in linuXgamer cd. if you're at all interested in linux, just dual boot. it's ez. no need to give up your beloved games.

MaxIBoy
August 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I wonder, is there a full software implementation of OpenGL for Linux? Because if support for my new GPU is as bad as support for my current one, I may want to look at the option. I know standard RAM isn't as good as graphics RAM, so performance wouldn't be great, but it would be extremely reliable.

Newuser1111
August 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM
All of the games I have that were not made for 98 or below work on Vista.
But I don't play very many games now, just "Garry's Mod" which works in Wine.