PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] My Computer icon on Desktop in Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 4.1

SammerHammer
August 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The title really explains all that I wanted to say.
I can't find any way to go to My Computer in KDE. When I type My Computer in the Dolphin address bar, it doesn't work.
However, openSUSE uses KDE and I have seen screenshots of openSUSE with a My Computer icon on the desktop.
Please help me find a way to get to the My Computer interface, because it is really annoying to manage my USB devices, and partitions, and CD drives without it.

The same problem in Xubuntu (I tried the live Cd)

crazyone
August 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
try typing computer in dolphin. becuase that is the true name if im not mistaken

SammerHammer
August 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Dolphin should have a My Computer button on the side panel, like it does for Trash and Home.

SammerHammer
August 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
EDIT: When I use Nautilus (the GNOME file manager) on KDE, I can visit My Computer, so this is a file manager problem, not a KDE problem, I think.

SuperSonic4
August 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Have you tried system:/media? It is in a computer icon at the bottom of kubuntu. Kicker might not be enabled though, so type kicker into a command (alt+f2) and go from there

SammerHammer
August 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Have you tried system:/media? It is in a computer icon at the bottom of kubuntu. Kicker might not be enabled though, so type kicker into a command (alt+f2) and go from there

I have KDE4, so I don't think I need kicker.
BTW, the system:/media command doesn't work in Dolphin.

pgatrick
August 28th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Do you have the 'new device notifier' widget? Alternately you could just open up whatever file manager you like and go to '/media'.

EDIT: Also, for me at least, Dolphin lists the various mounted drives on the sidebar.

SammerHammer
August 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Do you have the 'new device notifier' widget? Alternately you could just open up whatever file manager you like and go to '/media'.

EDIT: Also, for me at least, Dolphin lists the various mounted drives on the sidebar.

Yes, I have that widget in the Panel, but it doesn't have the same effect as the actual My Computer interface. /media just brings up some folders, not icons.

nitin.pant
May 15th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I was trying to find the same thing. A trying few things but it doesnt happen to work. I think the computer:/ , media:/ or sysinfo:/ protocols are just not supported in KDE4.
I even tried to install kiosysinfo package but even that wont let you open sysinfo:/

But SUSE has found a way to show my computer icon! So there is a way.. i will keep trying. I'll keep you guys informed as and when(and only if) iam able to do it..

rosco136
June 22nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
I was trying to find the same thing. A trying few things but it doesnt happen to work. I think the computer:/ , media:/ or sysinfo:/ protocols are just not supported in KDE4.
I even tried to install kiosysinfo package but even that wont let you open sysinfo:/

But SUSE has found a way to show my computer icon! So there is a way.. i will keep trying. I'll keep you guys informed as and when(and only if) iam able to do it..

So did you ever find a way round the "My Computer Icon" in Kubuntu?

It's driving me nuts, where do I find how much free HDD space I have, other than using console commands?
I'm trying to remember why I switched to Kubuntu from SUSE.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Novell have written some parts of KDE themselves, for their distro.

In addition, I can't find an equivalent to the Hardware Info list that is available in SUSE. I'm not saying there isn't one, I just I can't find it!

smsmith
June 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Try KInfoCenter for your hardware list.

In Dolphin, choose View -> Panels, make sure that Places is turned on. You can add shortcuts to wherever you want there. Mounted drives also show up in the Places list.

In the status bar of Dolphin, right click, choose Show Space Information.