PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Install Ubuntu- BusyBox Error PLEASE HELP!

Lamenessocity
August 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
So I waited a while for the Live CD to come and I got it and I popped it in this Compaq I have and everything seemed to be working fine. I finished the installation, it rebooted and then it came up with the Ubuntu load screen and after that I get this

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)

and then it says type Help for a list of commands, and none of them are anything I can decifer.
Where I would type a command it has this

(initramfs)

I am not good at computer speak, so if someone could just put what they know in a dumbed down version for me that'd be great! Thanks!
Please Help!

MattBD
August 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
This normally means there was some kind of error during the install. First recommendation I'd make is try installing it again and see if it will boot OK next time.
If it still doesn't work, then maybe the alternate install CD might be worth trying.

Lamenessocity
August 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I dont have an alternate. And I Uninstalled it and tried again and this time it took over an hour and a half for the computer to shut down for the reboot before I shut it off myself.
What should I do?

MattBD
August 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
You'd have to get the separate Alternate installer CD (unless you have a DVD copy of Ubuntu, which would include that). This can be downloaded from the main Ubuntu website.
If that doesn't work, I'd probably try another distro or two. It may be that your computer simply doesn't play well with Ubuntu, in which case you might be better off with another distro. I recommend Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, SimplyMEPIS or Mandriva as good alternatives. I'd also recommend you try the Knoppix live CD, it has some of the best hardware detection around so if any distro will work with it, it'll be Knoppix.

coffeecat
August 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
The Busybox shell often appears when the live CD chokes over some aspect of your hardware. Post the exact model of your Compaq. And use the search function of the forum to see if someone else with the same model has got it working. This is a big forum. You'll be unlucky if you don't find another thread with such a well-known make.

Is it a laptop or desktop? I know you said you were not good at computer-speak, but do you know what make/type of chipset it has? Particularly the video card. Can you post a link to a page with the technical specifications of your machine? This is all useful information to see if we can get you working with Ubuntu.