PDA

View Full Version : installing gimp fonts

jimsonweed
August 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I checked around a little and even posted on gimptalk.com and linuxforums.org but either they don't wanna help or it doesn't work. I was told to go into the fonts:/// folder and click and drag the new .ttf font files and and they should work fine. But, for one the new fonts don't show up in the folder, and two they don't show up in gimp. If anyone could help it would be much obliged :(. Sorry forgot to hit the "search if this threads been posted" button.

AJB2K3
August 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Have you tryed using the folder home/name/.fonts
Its a hidden folder and you may also need to create the .fonts folder.
And yes that dot needs to be there.

BTW try using search before posting as theres is a recent discussion on this !

limasierra
August 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Goto
/usr/share/fonts/truetype and create a folder (the name doesn't matter, you just need a folder to put your fonts". Then copy your truetype fonts, the ones that end with ".ttf" and paste them into your folder.

jimsonweed
August 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
yea the .fonts folder is there, not sure how to show hidden files/folders. Sorry again I thought about searching while i was typing the thread out but just forgot to hit the button lol](*,)

Crafty Kisses
August 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I just use kfontview, I think that's the easiest way, for me anyways.

AJB2K3
August 26th, 2008, 06:34 AM
yea the .fonts folder is there, not sure how to show hidden files/folders. Sorry again I thought about searching while i was typing the thread out but just forgot to hit the button lol](*,)
Press

ctrl+h
And a load of folders should appear, then make the folder .fonts

sugarwaffle
August 28th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi, I just figured this out today.
I got the .zip files from dafont.com...
I extracted the folder and then moved the entire folder into
home/<name>/.gimp-2.4/fonts/

I restarted the gimp and now it works...the fonts appeared in the gimp.

Not sure if this helps, but good luck :).

AJB2K3
August 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Thants ok for gimp but you have prevented the whole system from accessing them.
put them in
home/<name>/.fonts/
BTW have a look at fontmatrix.

gimphoto
August 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
AJB2K3,
thanks for your info about fontmatrix.

i think Linux really need some font set standard that same for all distro this will make easier for designer to use it at our design without worried about missing font on other computer, even Hardy Heron not supply Dejavu font complete set only a few of it.

DarkCloud56
January 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
ctrl+h opens hidden folders then just drag and drop your fonts into the .fonts folder and then you can open them in GIMP

Sand & Mercury
January 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Here is my solution.

Unzip your .ttf fonts somewhere, then start nautilus with administrative privileges: Press alt-f2, type

gksu nautilus

Now, grab your .ttf fonts, and navigate to /usr/share/fonts/truetype and paste your fonts in there.

Then you'll need to rebuild your font cache. Open the terminal and type:

sudo fc-cache -f -v

That will rebuild the list of fonts. If you're running Gimp you may need to restart it before it will see the new fonts.

menschtx
January 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I tried your method but couldn't find .fonts in my home/name/.fonts, also they did extract to a location but has a lock on it - what gives?

menschtx
January 29th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I tried ctrl+h in the home folder and didn't find .fonts, what's next?

smartboyathome
January 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I tried ctrl+h in the home folder and didn't find .fonts, what's next?

create it, then put your fonts in there. I'm guessing you extracted your fonts to /tmp (everything inside /tmp becomes read-only, which gives you the lock).

lyceum
January 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I find the best way is to have 2 folders, .fonts & fonts. That way you do not have a slow load time while trying to bring up 1000 fonts. Just move the ones you want to use in and out for what you are working on.

AJB2K3
January 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
New tutorial written and added in my signature.
Please bookmark and pass on but please feel free to make any improving suggestions.

Random Avid
April 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Here is my solution.

Unzip your .ttf fonts somewhere, then start nautilus with administrative privileges: Press alt-f2, type

gksu nautilusNow, grab your .ttf fonts, and navigate to /usr/share/fonts/truetype and paste your fonts in there.

Then you'll need to rebuild your font cache. Open the terminal and type:

sudo fc-cache -f -vThat will rebuild the list of fonts. If you're running Gimp you may need to restart it before it will see the new fonts.

Made an Ubuntu Forums account for the sole purpose of thanking you for that.

As a side note sorry for necroing this thread, but credit where credit is due, I spent 3 hours finding a way to get new Fonts into GIMP.