PDA

View Full Version : i need a website idea .... have you got any ?

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 01:26 PM
shortly after using ubuntu i was hooked like a real crackhead.

i have a domain name and webspace that i wanted to use to reflect
something useful about linux and or ubuntu but my problem is i dont know
what to put on it.

there are so many useful linux and ubuntu website out there that makes
me think that mine would be just another one that will be added to the heap.

so i need some help. what is the best why or idea to utilize the web name and webspace for linux and/or ubuntu without being just another boring site statistic

any ideas would be appreciated

Tuxulin

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
shortly after using ubuntu i was hooked like a real crackhead.

i have a domain name and webspace that i wanted to use to reflect
something useful about linux and or ubuntu but my problem is i dont know
what to put on it.

there are so many useful linux and ubuntu website out there that makes
me think that mine would be just another one that will be added to the heap.

so i need some help. what is the best why or idea to utilize the web name and webspace for linux and/or ubuntu without being just another boring site statistic

any ideas would appreciated

Tuxulin

The only kind of Ubuntu/linux related website I haven't encoutered is an up to date video tutorials site.

I would do it myself but I don't have the webspace available.

If you are willing to do this, you can use "Wink" (http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/create-a-video-tutorial-or-record-desktop/) to produce the videos.

Wink will allow you to put little text balloons in the video. If you read the balloon you press next and the video will continue. The video is outputted in .swf and plays in any modern browser.

Example I made.

http://www.fileshost.com/en/file/57307/flux-swf.html

(open the file with firefox!)

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
billgoldberg
thanks for the reply. do i need to be a member to download the file ?

thanks
Tuxulin

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
forget the previous post i have figured it out

thanks
T

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
If you were to do this, I suggest installing wordpress (go to wordpress.org) on the host. Wordpress has lots of plugins that will make posting .swf's easy and it will make administration your website easy.

My blog (signature) also uses wordpress. But it's hosted for free at wordpress.com, that is running wordpress with less options then when you install it yourself. That's why I can't do it myself.

If you need ideas on what video tutorials to make, feel free to post them. I'm sure many (including me) will give you enough subjects to keep you busy.

:p

--

That is if you decide to do this.

Skorzen
August 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Well, with the thousands of sites out there about GNU/Linux, yours will be just another one. Always. BUT, if you want ideas on about what to write in your site, just pick your day-to-day experience with GNU/Linux, posting problems you have and how you solved them. That would be nice for everyone.

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Edit:

I think I'm going to do it myself anyway.

Moehahaha.

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
billgoldberg - what a good idea using nothing but vidoes to explain different scenarios.

Skorzen - there are tons of site doing that loads of text on how to
solve scenarios, how ever billgoldberg video verison would be more apealing.

thanks for the replies though

billgoldberg its funny you said that look at this example.... LOL i was kinda thinking something like that too. check this out http://80.217.219.211:4180/videos/Documentries/

i have a box with ubuntu and tons of space. i cant afford my own dedicated server to pay on a monthly basis so what i could do is simply to point all video request to my own local harddrive and let them stream form there.

the bad point of this is currently im on 20meg bandwidth download and a friend of mine said to run a good video site i would need atleast 100meg download.

anyway i will look into the wordpress functionalities to see how i can combine them to create this project

thanks again
Tuxulin

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
billgoldberg LOL u are funny :lolflag:

Tuxu

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
billgoldberg - what a good idea using nothing but vidoes to explain different scenarios.

Skorzen - there are tons of site doing that loads of text on how to
solve scenarios, how ever billgoldberg video verison would be more apealing.

thanks for the replies though

billgoldberg funn you said that look at this example.... LOL i was kinda thinking something like that too. check this out http://80.217.219.211:4180/videos/Documentries/

i have a box with ubuntu and tons of space. i cant afford my own dedicated server to pay on a monthly basis so what i could do is simply to point all video request to my own local harddrive and let them stream form there.

the bad point of this is currently im on 20meg bandwidth download and a friend of mine said to run a good video site i would need atleast 100meg download.

anyway i will look into the wordpress functionalities to see how i can combine them to create this project

thanks again
Tuxulin

Those swf videos should not be more than 20mb each.

An swf video isn't actually streamed. It is uploaded completely to the user first and then it will play. So you won't really need huge upload speeds.

But if you run it on your own host and the site becomes popular, you might have a problem.

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
billgoldberg LOL u are funny :lolflag:

Tuxu

I was kidding, I'm not going to do it :p

tuxulin
August 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
hhmm i see your point im gonna have to weigh up the pros and conns
if i find a cheap reliable dedicated server then i would be flying

anyway thanks again im gonna see what i can do with the little i got

Tuxulin

tuxulin