PDA

View Full Version : The best GNOME theme I have ever seen so far.

Pages : [1] 2

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have never been this in love with a GNOME theme. This one is complete, it has a gtk+, a metacity, and an icon theme. The theme is Shiki-Colors (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717).

I posted a thread like this before and what I was praising was the Nimbus theme. I still love that theme but this one is better.

There are a lot of good themes out there. What's a good theme? It looks good. It is free of bugs. It is usable. It looks professional.

Why do i say that this is the best that I have ever seen? It satisfies all my requirements for a good theme plus more. It is complete. It is completely Tango-compliant (this gives the whole desktop a consistent look). It is light. The icon theme just looks too damn good; it is very complete, so Tango-ish, and is more innovative (see the Rhythmbox and NetworkManager icons). There are good variants. It is easy on the eyes (it managed to use dark colors on the right things). It looks so damn good. It made good use of the great engines that we have now. How cool is that? It has all the good things about Murrine and Clearlooks. Clearlooks eats so much resources and murrine didn't look as good to me. This theme is better than plain Clearlooks or murrine. When I first saw the Glow theme, I was impressed because it made good use of the great engines, but Shiki-colors did it better.

perfectska04 knows what he is doing.

Screenshots: http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=86717&file1=86717-1.png&file2=86717-2.jpg&file3=86717-3.jpg&name=Shiki-Colors

Get it here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717

Edit:
There are four variants, Brave (blue), Human (you know), Wine (red), and Wise (green). You are also not limited with those options because the theme's color scheme is customizable using "the Appearance" dialog.

Some are complaining about the logo beside the "Applications" menu. I think that its perfectska04's way of branding his "Colors" theme but some think that it looks like the Windows logo. To change the "windows-like" distro logo, go to where you have installed the icon them (like /home/user/.icons/) then go to the gnome-brave (-human, -wine, or -wise). From there, go to the scalable/places, 16x16/places, 24x24/places and 32x32/places directory then delete all the "windows-like" icons or replace it with whatever distro icon you want. :D

If you are using a theme that's not Human-like, you may want to change the libnotify theme. To do that, open Configuration Editor (gconf-editor), open /apps/notification-daemon and erase the "ubuntu" value of "theme." That's it! :D

2nd EDIT (Sept 5, '08):
The theme is updated! Get it again from gnome-look! Looks even better! I like more clearlooks elements and the scroll bars! <3333 Also, is it just me or did it become faster? :)

3rd EDIT (Sept. 29, '08):
Theme was updated again. It's now on version 2.0. :)

4th EDIT (Apr. 12, '09):
It's been a while. The new version is 3.4. This is the best version yet. :)

kpkeerthi
August 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. Looks very pleasant. :)

Mazza558
August 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The second screenshot looks like a good candidate for Ibex.

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The second screenshot looks like a good candidate for Ibex.
Exactly. Better than NewHuman.

Hire
August 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kwwii/ubuntu hardy main

Put it on the sources.list ;)

Skorzen
August 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
This theme looks really good. I must try it when I get home. Thanks for sharing.

mrgnash
August 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Perfectska rocks. I haven't used another icon theme since discovering his 'Gnome Human' theme. This is a little too kitchenware for me personally, but it's very slick.

wersdaluv
August 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Perfectska rocks. I haven't used another icon theme since discovering his 'Gnome Human' theme. This is a little too kitchenware for me personally, but it's very slick.
Yes! After using the icon theme for more than a day, I discovered that it's even better than I though! The wine icons, the conduit icon, the VMWare icon, the VirtualBox icon, the music player icons, the Firefox icon, etc. The icon theme even has its own create folder and create document icons. It's so complete and Tango-ish.

Polygon
August 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
the wallpaper in the screenshot is nice, anyone know where to get it?

OutOfReach
August 27th, 2008, 01:19 AM
You know, I never really liked black themes, to emo-ish. ( D: ) but this one looks really really nice im going to try it out.

nick09
August 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Nice. I like this one. But I kept the original Human icons because I don't like the style of the included ones.

FuturePilot
August 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Wow a dark theme that is actually usable. I really like it :)

5m0k3
August 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM
This is wonderful. Coincidentally, the icon theme colors match the various wallpapers I've made. I, now, have both my wallpaper and iconset change depending on the time of day

SomeGuyDude
August 27th, 2008, 02:27 AM
You know, I never really liked black themes, to emo-ish. ( D: ) but this one looks really really nice im going to try it out.

WAY easier on the eyes. I still insist TechniX is the best black/white theme out there, myself. http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/TechniX?content=79463&PHPSESSID=fa55d2795a2024648d262a0ebe972f82

chris4585
August 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM
the second screenshot looks like a good candidate for ibex.

+1

Saint Angeles
August 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM
daaaayyy--um!

this is purty! mee likey!

i'm using it now... i'm just wondering if theres a way to make the lighter parts a little darker.

EDIT: wow! i just realized all the colors are configurable! heres the colors i chose!

EnGorDiaz
August 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
i dnt really like it maybe im just really into the eyecandy

~LoKe
August 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Looks good, but not my thing.

tuxerman
August 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I've always been a KDE user, but have loved the neatness of GNOME and XFCE. This theme looks awesome... this *should* be made the official theme for 8.10. Better than that muck brown NewHuman.
Besides, we need a professional looking one too.. and this one rocks:guitar:

the yawner
August 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Make me a compact version. *hint*
;)

Barrucadu
August 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
That looks very nice, but I'll stick with my custom theme. It started life as LiteGNOME, but now looks fairly similar to that

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I don't like the logo on the menu. It reminds me of the Windows logo. It's not the exact same, but similar.

Other than that it looks good.

Saint Angeles
August 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
ok so i've spent the last hour or so tweaking this theme (shiki-wise)...

tweaked the colors and the gtkrc as well as the metacity theme.

the icons i'm using are called "Jungle"... i got them from gnome-look

whatcha think?

mips
August 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
whatcha think?

The green is a bit over the top, a darker emrald green would look better I think.

Nice to see you only have one panel, I don't get the dual panel thing in gnome, just a waste of space.

Saint Angeles
August 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
The green is a bit over the top, a darker emrald green would look better I think.

Nice to see you only have one panel, I don't get the dual panel thing in gnome, just a waste of space.
which green are you referring to? the icons? or the light-green text and scrollbar?

and yeah... i've tried several times to give two panels a shot... but i always end up reducing it back to one. and because i have a widescreen monitor, my vertical space is very important.

mips
August 27th, 2008, 12:46 PM
which green are you referring to? the icons? or the light-green text and scrollbar?

Icons mostly but the others could be a bit darker as well. Probably just a personal thing but I find them to Lime green, luminous, bright whatever is the best description.

A green like the center green of the octogons of the Gweled game on you desktop is more what I had in mind.

Saint Angeles
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
i went for the lighter green because i was going for a dark theme. if i made the green darker too, it would look just a little too... dark.

i was going for contrast... but i really like the green icons.

i don't normally have a green theme so this is a new thing for me... but i find it very comfortable to work with.

but i have a tendency to change my theme every 8 hours or so... so i'm just gonna see what happens. thanks for the input!

G|N|
August 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Is it possible to make the window title transparant?

Saint Angeles
August 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Is it possible to make the window title transparant?
it does come with an emerald theme so it looks like it... but only when using effects.

3rdalbum
August 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I like the dark theme originally posted, and I agree that it's nice and tango-ish, but I don't think it's especially suitable for Ubuntu. Not enough brown.

Here's my own suggestion (with different icons). It's called Sauna.

mips
August 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM

What fonts are you using?

kpkeerthi
August 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What fonts are you using?

Looks like 'Sans' to me.

BigSilly
August 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Fantastic theme this. Thanks OP. It's the first time in ages I've actually gone back to something approaching the brown/orange Human theme, thanks to those wonderful icons.

Two questions though - how do I change the colour of the little blue bar above the window border, and how do I change the Windows-like icon on the top panel to the Ubuntu icon? I like the icon here, but on balance I'd rather have the regular Ubuntu icon. Cheers.

hufferd
August 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
:)

dracvs
August 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I like the theme that comes with OpenSolaris and Solaris 11.

Its called nimbus and its easy on the eyes. I dont know why i Find it so appealing.

Ub1476
August 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I like the dark theme originally posted, and I agree that it's nice and tango-ish, but I don't think it's especially suitable for Ubuntu. Not enough brown.

Looks interesting. Download? :)

tdrusk
August 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Its called nimbus and its easy on the eyes. I dont know why i Find it so appealing.
Thanks for reminding me about this. I forgot how beautiful this theme was.

billgoldberg
August 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have never been this in love with a GNOME theme. This one is complete, it has a gtk+, a metacity, and an icon theme. The theme is Shiki-Colors (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717).

I posted a thread like this before and what I was praising was the Nimbus theme. I still love that theme but this one is better.

There are a lot of good themes out there. What's a good theme? It looks good. It is free of bugs. It is usable. It looks professional.

Why do i say that this is the best that I have ever seen? It satisfies all my requirements for a good theme plus more. It is complete. It is completely Tango-compliant (this gives the whole desktop a consistent look). It is light. The icon theme just looks too damn good; it is very complete, so Tango-ish, and is more innovative (see the Rhythmbox and NetworkManager icons). There are good variants. It is easy on the eyes (it managed to use dark colors on the right things). It looks so damn good. It made good use of the great engines that we have now. How cool is that? It has all the good things about Murrine and Clearlooks. Clearlooks eats so much resources and murrine didn't look as good to me. This theme is better than plain Clearlooks or murrine. When I first saw the Glow theme, I was impressed because it made good use of the great engines, but Shiki-colors did it better.

perfectska04 knows what he is doing.

Screenshots: http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=86717&file1=86717-1.jpg&file2=86717-2.jpg&file3=86717-3.jpg&name=Shiki-Colors

Get it here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717

You think this is the best?

I only find it mediocre.

I would never use it.

But to each his own.

wersdaluv
August 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Fantastic theme this. Thanks OP. It's the first time in ages I've actually gone back to something approaching the brown/orange Human theme, thanks to those wonderful icons.

Two questions though - how do I change the colour of the little blue bar above the window border, and how do I change the Windows-like icon on the top panel to the Ubuntu icon? I like the icon here, but on balance I'd rather have the regular Ubuntu icon. Cheers.
To change the little blue bar, use another theme variant. There are four variants, Brave (blue), Human (you know), Wine (red), and Wise (green). You can also change the colors in the appearance dialog. The theme is very customizable.

To change the "windows-like" distro logo, go to where you have installed the icon them (like /home/user/.icons/) then go to the gnome-brave (-human, -wine, or -wise). From there, go to the 24x24/places directory then delete all the "windows-like" icons or replace it with whatever distro icon you want :)

wersdaluv
August 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM

A year ago, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491154 ...

What I didn't like about the Nimbus theme is that it is not Tango-compliant (there is no visual consistency) and many of its icons are not used by the Linux desktop because the naming convention is designed for Solaris. No one, afaik, bothered to make all those icons work on Ubuntu.

dracvs
August 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
A year ago, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491154 ...

What I didn't like about the Nimbus theme is that it is not Tango-compliant (there is no visual consistency) and many of its icons are not used by the Linux desktop because the naming convention is designed for Solaris. No one, afaik, bothered to make all those icons work on Ubuntu.

if government in my crappy country changes the infrastructure, I will make sure someone writes a Tango compliant version of nimbus. I can suggest that to the guy in the proper office. pays off to work for the government sometimes

hessiess
August 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
white background != good

Kernel Sanders
August 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
wow a dark theme that is actually usable. I really like it :)

whs

Thanks for sharing :KS

Mazza558
August 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The reason it works is because the titlebar and menu blends together. It just looks so much better.

BigSilly
August 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
To change the little blue bar, use another theme variant. There are four variants, Brave (blue), Human (you know), Wine (red), and Wise (green). You can also change the colors in the appearance dialog. The theme is very customizable.

There must be something wrong with my set up. It doesn't matter whether I select Shiki-Human or Wine or Brave or whatever, the little coloured bar above the window border is the same. On Shiki-Human it should be orange yeah? On mine it stays blue no matter what I do. I've tried to change the settings in Appearance, but it makes no difference.

Help!

EDIT: Take no notice. I didn't install the Murrine SVN package as recommended. I have now and all is fine. Sorry all...

Mazza558
August 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've noticed an annoying thing about this theme - although the titlebar blends into the gtk window seamlessly on windows which actually have a gtk menu, windows that don't tend to look out-of-place.

GrouchoMarx
August 30th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I've noticed an annoying thing about this theme - although the titlebar blends into the gtk window seamlessly on windows which actually have a gtk menu, windows that don't tend to look out-of-place.

IMO, The entire titlebar+filemenu+windowborder combination is poorly integrated into the rest of the GTK theme. The contrast is too sharp.

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 05:07 AM
The theme is updated! Get it again from gnome-look! Looks even better! I like more clearlooks elements and the scroll bars! <3333 Also, is it just me or did it become faster? :D

SomeGuyDude
September 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
MurrineGlow wins above all. It's amazing.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
The theme is updated! Get it again from gnome-look! Looks even better! I like more clearlooks elements and the scroll bars! <3333 Also, is it just me or did it become faster? :D

It did become faster, I eliminated all pixmap dependencies. :popcorn:

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 05:30 AM
It did become faster, I eliminated all pixmap dependencies. :popcorn:
Woooow! Hi idol! Dude, just one thing, the scroll bars look so murrine. It's kinda out of place. maybe the color? I dunno.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Woooow! Hi idol! Dude, just one thing, the scroll bars look so murrine. It's kinda out of place. maybe the color? I dunno.

The scrollbars ARE murrine (at least in the murrine svn version) but they use the clearlooks rendering style, so they should pretty much have clearlooks gradients. Perhaps it's the color, I'm testing out various colors for the scrollbars (mostly between a dark grey, same color as old style, and the colored version) but I just can't seem to decide which looks best.

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Yeah. I'm aware that they're murrine. They look really nice but maybe, the gray part is too light? I dunno.

As for usability, I would like to suggest a change with the metacity theme. The buttons are too small. Maybe, it's better to make them bigger so that people won't have to exert much effort for aiming at the minimize, maximize, and close buttons.

Edit:
It must be the arrows in the scrollbars. In firefox, I can see clearly that the arrows from Clearlooks (like the arrow beside the back and forward buttons) look different from the arrows on the scrolls

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Ooops. Double post

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 5th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Yeah. I'm aware that they're murrine. They look really nice but maybe, the gray part is too light? I dunno.

As for usability, I would like to suggest a change with the metacity theme. The buttons are too small. Maybe, it's better to make them bigger so that people won't have to exert much effort for aiming at the minimize, maximize, and close buttons.

I added 2px padding to metacity buttons as per your sugestion. I've done a few more tweaks but I probably won't upload a new version until tomorrow.

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I added 2px padding to metacity buttons as per your sugestion. I've done a few more tweaks but I probably won't upload a new version until tomorrow.
Very nice!

Have you seen that I edited that post? "Edit:
It must be the arrows in the scrollbars. In firefox, I can see clearly that the arrows from Clearlooks (like the arrow beside the back and forward buttons) look different from the arrows on the scrolls"

I just don't know if you can change the arrows to something that will look more fit with the clearlooks look. If it's not feasible, it's fine because it still looks really good.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Very nice!

Have you seen that I edited that post? "Edit:
It must be the arrows in the scrollbars. In firefox, I can see clearly that the arrows from Clearlooks (like the arrow beside the back and forward buttons) look different from the arrows on the scrolls"

I just don't know if you can change the arrows to something that will look more fit with the clearlooks look. If it's not feasible, it's fine because it still looks really good.

They are the same arrows, they're just smaller. I'll try making them a bit larger if I can.

BOBSONATOR
September 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM
really i am in love with my murrina-glow

with rbga (modded gtkrc, change all the true to false in the rgba sections)
http://xs131.xs.to/xs131/08363/rgba928.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs131&d=08363&f=rgba928.png)

without (just clear glow)

http://xs331.xs.to/xs331/08362/murrineglow596.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs331&d=08362&f=murrineglow596.png)

wersdaluv
September 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Isn't MurrineGlow a Shiki-Colors ripoff?

wersdaluv
September 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
They are the same arrows, they're just smaller. I'll try making them a bit larger if I can.
I noticed that the scrollbars are only out of place in Firefox. Don't worry much about it. Maybe because Firefox isn't gtk+ enough. hehe. Or it would be nice if you can make the scrollbars themselves (the colored thing that we drag) look more clearlooks by giving them a "thicker" feel. There's just something about Murrine that makes it look thin and about Clearlooks that makes it look fat. A theme like NewHuman managed to make Murrine look "thicker." Hard to explain. Hehe. This is not a big issue though so just concentrate on more important things. hehe.

Mazza also mentioned something that makes sense. Windows without menus (like File, Edit, View, etc.) look kinda off with the metacity theme. I just don't know if there's a fix for that. I would say that the beauty of the integration of the metacity theme and the menus that you made (by making them both black) weighs more than this bug. Though, I've also been thinking if there's a fix to how the window border and the menus look one. It could make new users want to drag the windows by clicking on the menus. Maybe, we should wait for the next gtk+ version for that. hehe. It's harder to sacrifice Shiki's aesthetics.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I noticed that the scrollbars are only out of place in Firefox. Don't worry much about it. Maybe because Firefox isn't gtk+ enough. hehe. Or it would be nice if you can make the scrollbars themselves (the colored thing that we drag) look more clearlooks by giving them a "thicker" feel. There's just something about Murrine that makes it look thin and about Clearlooks that makes it look fat. A theme like NewHuman managed to make Murrine look "thicker." Hard to explain. Hehe. This is not a big issue though so just concentrate on more important things. hehe.

Mazza also mentioned something that makes sense. Windows without menus (like File, Edit, View, etc.) look kinda off with the metacity theme. I just don't know if there's a fix for that. I would say that the beauty of the integration of the metacity theme and the menus that you made (by making them both black) weighs more than this bug. Though, I've also been thinking if there's a fix to how the window border and the menus look one. It could make new users want to drag the windows by clicking on the menus. Maybe, we should wait for the next gtk+ version for that. hehe. It's harder to sacrifice Shiki's aesthetics.

I just uploaded a new version with some metacity improvements. I agree that the cutoff in windows that have no menubar can be abrupt, but unless there is a way to use different metacities depending on the type of window, it doesn't seem like a solution can exist without lightening up the menubar. Perhaps with the bit of extra padding I added, windows without menu-bars will look a bit better, though.

wersdaluv
September 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I just uploaded a new version with some metacity improvements. I agree that the cutoff in windows that have no menubar can be abrupt, but unless there is a way to use different metacities depending on the type of window, it doesn't seem like a solution can exist without lightening up the menubar. Perhaps with the bit of extra padding I added, windows without menu-bars will look a bit better, though.
Niiiice :)

wersdaluv
September 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
perfectska04, I found another room for improvement. Windows are relatively harder to resize with Shiki-Colors. The window edges are much thinner in Shiki-Colors compared to other themes.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM
perfectska04, I found another room for improvement. Windows are relatively harder to resize with Shiki-Colors. The window edges are much thinner in Shiki-Colors compared to other themes.

This shouldn't be a problem anymore. I added an optional metacity with thicker borders. It won't be default because from general opinion, most people prefer Shiki's current borderless appearance. However, now at least you will have the ability to choose.

wersdaluv
September 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM
This shouldn't be a problem anymore. I added an optional metacity with thicker borders. It won't be default because from general opinion, most people prefer Shiki's current borderless appearance. However, now at least you will have the ability to choose.
Wow! That's a great update!! Wooohoo! I love it! I love the new look if the metacity theme, the scrollbars, and the bold fonts of the gnome main menu.

I have a new suggestion. I think, it would be nice if you make Shiki-Human look more human. I think, the window background feels so metallic. Maybe, you can make a color scheme that would fit the Ubuntu look better. I attempted to make one but it doesn't go well enough with Shiki. See the screenshot.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
September 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Wow! That's a great update!! Wooohoo! I love it! I love the new look if the metacity theme, the scrollbars, and the bold fonts of the gnome main menu.

I have a new suggestion. I think, it would be nice if you make Shiki-Human look more human. I think, the window background feels so metallic. Maybe, you can make a color scheme that would fit the Ubuntu look better. I attempted to make one but it doesn't go well enough with Shiki. See the screenshot.

I try to keep the grey background universal, but you can make the orange theme a bit more "Human". Just open the appearance preferences, click on "customize" and on the "colors" tab, put a color like "#DCD8D4" as background color. Everything should adjust itself and blend in with the new color, so you don't need to worry about anything else.

Edit: Perhaps you used a color that is far too warm to blend in with the dark parts. Try using the one I suggested, or at least don't deviate much from the contrast range of the original gray.

wersdaluv
September 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I try to keep the grey background universal, but you can make the orange theme a bit more "Human". Just open the appearance preferences, click on "customize" and on the "colors" tab, put a color like "#DCD8D4" as background color. Everything should adjust itself and blend in with the new color, so you don't need to worry about anything else.
Ooh. Thanks :) Yeah. Making it browner wouldn't fit Shiki well because the feel is modern.

kpkeerthi
September 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM
The best theme has got better now. Keep up the good work, perfectksa!

wolfchri
October 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Please vote for Nimbus being included as a selectable theme in Ubuntu on Brainstorm:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14144/

Thank you!

BTW, in case not already posted, here the 0.0.17 packages for Nimbus can be downloaded:

https://launchpad.net/~pcastellazzi/+archive

:guitar:

wersdaluv
October 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
perfectska04, two things.

Can you make a gray version? Can you also make libnotify themes? :D

wersdaluv
October 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Please vote for Nimbus being included as a selectable theme in Ubuntu on Brainstorm:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14144/

Thank you!

BTW, in case not already posted, here the 0.0.17 packages for Nimbus can be downloaded:

https://launchpad.net/~pcastellazzi/+archive

:guitar:
Wow. Thanks. I'll try that. I hope, all the icons here are already usable in Ubuntu.

EDIT:
Oops. Still not all the icons. What I don't like about this theme is the lack of integration to the Tango style.

friendofpugs
October 18th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi all, found this Shiki theme in one of my feeds. How the heck do I enable it? I have the link from gnome-look, what do I do with it? I extracted it to a file on my desktop, but of course I couldn't drag and drop into the theme manager. Ugh! Plz be nice, talking to a noob here. Walk me through it or point me to a nice thread. Thnx.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
October 18th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hi all, found this Shiki theme in one of my feeds. How the heck do I enable it? I have the link from gnome-look, what do I do with it? I extracted it to a file on my desktop, but of course I couldn't drag and drop into the theme manager. Ugh! Plz be nice, talking to a noob here. Walk me through it or point me to a nice thread. Thnx.

You can drag n' drop the .tar.gz file it into the theme manager, it works like any other theme. You will need the Murrine SVN engine (not included by default in Ubuntu Hardy) if you download the main version.

If you don't understand what Murrine SVN is or whatnot, download the version that says "download if you don't have Murrine 0.6"

Optionally, I created a script that will install all the themes, icons and GDM themes and apply them for you. You will only have to double click on the installer and choose your favorite color. The script assumes you're using Murrine SVN, so if you're not, then install the .deb file included in the "MurrineSVN" folder before running the installer.

Hope this helps, those are pretty much all the available ways of installing the themes.

crimesaucer
October 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I think those rgba murrine themes that Cimi is making are some of the best themes I've seen for Linux. I can't wait until everything is rgba support.

The dust and shiki themes are really good too.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
October 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I think those rgba murrine themes that Cimi is making are some of the best themes I've seen for Linux. I can't wait until everything is rgba support.

The dust and shiki themes are really good too.

Yeah, rgba is a great idea but it won't be ready for general use until pretty much everything supports it. Also, another drawback is that it's a lot less usable if compiz blur is not enabled (and older cards may not have the performance for blur).

crimesaucer
October 18th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah, rgba is a great idea but it won't be ready for general use until pretty much everything supports it. Also, another drawback is that it's a lot less usable if compiz blur is not enabled (and older cards may not have the performance for blur).

.... and when it is enabled with blur, and rgba = TRUE, the apps that use the blurred transparency become very slow to move from place to place. (NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M 265 MB dedicated memory on AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 w/4GB RAM)

When they fix that (which I'm sure they will), it will be very nice to use.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 2nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
For anyone who still follows this theme, I just wanted to let you know that version 2.1 is out. Here's the changelog:

2.1:
-Trying out some new things and some cleaning-up.
-More colorful menu-items/panel prelights.
-Compact panels (Experimental).

You can download it here http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=86717 and either install it with the primary/secondary download, or by using the ColorizeMe Ubuntu script that installs the theme, icons, GDM's, wallpapers, etc.

Saint Angeles
November 2nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
i'm using a theme called Elegant-Matrix AKA Elegant-Dark-Green (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Elegant-Dark-Green?content=85661).

with Paper (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Paper?content=88464) icons and Gruppled (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Gruppled+Cursors?content=86081) Black pointer.

i rock so hard.

wersdaluv
November 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
For anyone who still follows this theme, I just wanted to let you know that version 2.1 is out. Here's the changelog:

2.1:
-Trying out some new things and some cleaning-up.
-More colorful menu-items/panel prelights.
-Compact panels (Experimental).

You can download it here http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=86717 and either install it with the primary/secondary download, or by using the ColorizeMe Ubuntu script that installs the theme, icons, GDM's, wallpapers, etc.
Still the best. Tried to stick with Dust because it fits my taste but it's buggy; tried to stick with Human because it's the most integrated with my Ubuntu desktop but it's too bright; still settling with Shiki. I'm not using the complete pack though. I use Tango instead of GNOME-Colors because I find the latter too cartoony.

wersdaluv
November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Great job with the scroolbars. That's the Clearlooks feel that I like.

BigSilly
November 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
This is a very nice theme indeed, and I'm just about to install it on Intrepid. However, I do much prefer the Dust theme, and am yet to find any deal-killing bugs in my day to day use of it. It just fits Ubuntu perfectly, and really ought to be the default theme. I'm using it with this GDM (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Intrepid+Ibex+GDM?content=86712), and I don't think I've ever loved the brown more!

As I say though, this is still a great theme. Just my tuppence worth.

druellan
November 5th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I'm currently working on a hack of this theme which I called: Shiki-Human Semicompact. The idea is to create a compact version of Shiki, but more balanced than the reduced thing you get when using the "compact profile" of Gnome Color Chooser.

http://hosting.deimagenes.com/imagenes/a2f6e20b3d723aa9a4e74a3ba567028f.png

Right now I'm tweaking sizes of toolbars and icons on the taskbar (edit: I'm talking about the notification area, not the whole taskbar). This is my first Gnome theming attemp and I'm still catching up things: seems that system taskbar's icons get sized by gtk-small-toolbar property and applications taskbar's icons do the same but using gtk-large-toolbar property. That means that you must lock toolbar's sizes in order to get consistent taskbar icons :S

Also I'm still trying to figure out how to control taskbar icon's padding.

PD: Oh, almost forgot: great theme perfectska04, one of the best out there!

AlphaMack
November 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I decided to play around with Shiki for a bit. I don't like the orange in Shiki-Human, so I changed the highlight color to the one used by Dust. Much more pleasing to the eyes.

Once the issues are worked out with Dust (especially in Hardy as the Murrine SVN for use with Shiki breaks Dust), I might switch back.

These are two incredible dark themes.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I decided to play around with Shiki for a bit. I don't like the orange in Shiki-Human, so I changed the highlight color to the one used by Dust. Much more pleasing to the eyes.

Once the issues are worked out with Dust (especially in Hardy as the Murrine SVN for use with Shiki breaks Dust), I might switch back.

These are two incredible dark themes.

You can always use an older Murrine SVN revision, Shiki will also work with it. The version I include is the very latest, so it's probably better but it does break a few themes (since their authors haven't updated them).

Also, if you don't like the orange in Shiki-Human, you can try my unofficial mod; Shiki-Dust
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wjygl5zlj3k

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Also I'm still trying to figure out how to control taskbar icon's padding.

PD: Oh, almost forgot: great theme perfectska04, one of the best out there!

Glad you like it!
Regarding the size of taskbar icons, what do you mean by it? All icons used for panels are always sized 24x24 px unless you make the panels larger.

garba
November 5th, 2008, 04:59 AM
awesome, thx for this great piece of work!

druellan
November 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Glad you like it!
Regarding the size of taskbar icons, what do you mean by it? All icons used for panels are always sized 24x24 px unless you make the panels larger.
Mmmm, yes, my bad, I was talking about the notification area, not the whole taskbar.

On the screenshoot you can see that all icons on the notification area look small, thats because gtk-small-toolbar = 16,16; BUT, the Mail Notification widget icon looks bigger, because gtk-large-toolbar = 18,18. This seems related more to the way the app behaves than a Gnome fault. The solution is, off course, locking the small toolbar and the large toolbar size, but is more a workaround than a solution. Taskbar size is 22px btw.

Also, if you don't like the orange in Shiki-Human, you can try my unofficial mod; Shiki-Dust
Wow haha, my old theme was called DustShiki :P Dust Metacity works very well with Shiki.

You can always use an older Murrine SVN revision, Shiki will also work with it. The version I include is the very latest, so it's probably better but it does break a few themes (since their authors haven't updated them).
Oh, I recently noticed that I have the "white outline on input boxes" bug on Firefox. I don't remember seeing it before, and I'm wondering if is not related to the SVN version of Murrine.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, I recently noticed that I have the "white outline on input boxes" bug on Firefox. I don't remember seeing it before, and I'm wondering if is not related to the SVN version of Murrine.

I've also noticed it and it happens with the latest version of the Clearlooks engine in Intrepid as well. Perhaps a bug report is due?

meho_r
November 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I apologize if I missed it, but I just wonder if you've been thinking of making some kind shiki-style GDM, perfectska04?

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I apologize if I missed it, but I just wonder if you've been thinking of making some kind shiki-style GDM, perfectska04?

There already is:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Arc-Colors+GDM-Walls?content=88305

druellan
November 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I've also noticed it and it happens with the latest version of the Clearlooks engine in Intrepid as well. Perhaps a bug report is due?
There are already a couple of bug reports about it on Launchpad and Gnome bugtrack, so lets hope the fix is on the way :)

Technoviking
November 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
perfectska04, what is the story behind deleting these icons, is it something a bug some be filled against?

rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/inode-directory.svg
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache
gtk-update-icon-cache -qf /usr/share/icons/gnome

T-V

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
perfectska04, what is the story behind deleting these icons, is it something a bug some be filled against?

rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/inode-directory.svg
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/inode-directory.png
rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache
gtk-update-icon-cache -qf /usr/share/icons/gnome

T-V

Yeah, it's a bug. Those icons are useless and they only bring bad mojo since all icon themes inherit them. Even if I include those icons in my themes (so they don't get inherited from gnome-icon-theme), there would be some regressions too.

The only current fix is to delete them (which is the same as earlier versions of GNOME where these icons were not included).

You can read more about this issue here, since myself and others have already given detailed explanations and such:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=539286
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-icon-theme/+bug/278033

MasterNetra
November 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I disagree i much prefer "Smoked Glass" or "Deep Green".

amitabhishek
November 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
WAY easier on the eyes. I still insist TechniX is the best black/white theme out there, myself. http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/TechniX?content=79463&PHPSESSID=fa55d2795a2024648d262a0ebe972f82

Man! This looks good!

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM
actually the best theme is in my signature... because it says so!

AlphaMack
November 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I just went back to Hardy from Ibex and made sure to use the Murrine SVN supplied on the Dust wiki page.

Nice.

wersdaluv
November 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Wow! The Shiki-dust is nice! Very classy. I'm using the Human icons with it. The orange fonts are just not so easy to read.

Edit:
Can you make a GDM for this? One that's more human than, Arc-Human? Perhaps, with the Intrepid wallpaper as the background.

AlphaMack
November 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Actually, are there any plans for a slightly less orange (and more brown) version of GNOME-Human to better match both Shiki Dust and the Dust themes?

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Actually, are there any plans for a slightly less orange (and more brown) version of GNOME-Human to better match both Shiki Dust and the Dust themes?

Eh, with college and finals coming up I doubt I'd have the time to make another icon set. If anything, most I could do would be to recolor some folders with a brown color-scheme. A single GNOME-Colors iconset takes months to make, specially since I recolor everything by hand :).

Wow! The Shiki-dust is nice! Very classy. I'm using the Human icons with it. The orange fonts are just not so easy to read.

Edit:
Can you make a GDM for this? One that's more human than, Arc-Human? Perhaps, with the Intrepid wallpaper as the background.

You can just go to /usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Human and replace bg.png with Intrepid's wallpaper. You can also edit the box1.svg/text1.svg files in the "Sources" folder with Inkscape and replace main_box.png/text.png with them if you want to make any personal modifications, I've made it all very easy to modify.

By orange fonts, do you mean the white fonts over the light orange selection background?

wersdaluv
November 8th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Yep, the ones with white fonts over the light orange section background :D

See GNOME's Control Center. It's just that, though. Everything else is fine. I hope to see soon the final release of this theme.

wersdaluv
November 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
perfectska04, I've been messing with the gtkrc but I wasn't successful. How do I change it for me to have the original Clearlooks scrollbars? I want the rubbery-looking scrollbars in the Clearlooks theme. I'm not referring to the one like in your clearlooks only version. I want something exactly like the classic including color settings and any other original feature :D

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
perfectska04, I've been messing with the gtkrc but I wasn't successful. How do I change it for me to have the original Clearlooks scrollbars? I want the rubbery-looking scrollbars in the Clearlooks theme. I'm not referring to the one like in your clearlooks only version. I want something exactly like the classic including color settings and any other original feature :D

Hmm the scrollbars in the clearlooks-only version are exactly the same as the ones in the original clearlooks. The only differences are the color and roundness, which can be adjusted in the scrollbars section (by removing the # next to colorize_scrollbar and setting the radius to 3.

druellan
November 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I'm almost ready for the first version of my Shiki fork/derivative. Just wondering if anyone knows how to tweak this:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/biosfera/Ubuntu/shiki.sometweaks.png

1: horizontal padding between icon and text in the toolbar
2: internal padding of the side-panel title bar

Thanks!

Edit: oh, just noted that the side-panel title uses GtkButton class, can this be?

wersdaluv
November 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Oh. So you don't call it "scrollbars." I'm referring to the whole thing including the border and the up and down buttons. I'm referring to this

http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08462/screenshot01931.png (http://xs.to)

PS: I want to see how it looks on Shiki-human too. It's my default now

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Oh. So you don't call it "scrollbars." I'm referring to the whole thing including the border and the up and down buttons. I'm referring to this

http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08462/screenshot01931.png (http://xs.to)

PS: I want to see how it looks on Shiki-human too. It's my default now

Hmm the scrollbars in that picture are exactly the same as the shiki-clearlooks-only (with added color and roundness). Perhaps you're referring to the border around the scrollbars? If so, that actually has nothing to do with scrollbars, that's the Notebook/Tabs background. You can make that rounded or larger in the Notebook section.

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm almost ready for the first version of my Shiki fork/derivative. Just wondering if anyone knows how to tweak this:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/biosfera/Ubuntu/shiki.sometweaks.png

1: horizontal padding between icon and text in the toolbar
2: internal padding of the side-panel title bar

Thanks!

Edit: oh, just noted that the side-panel title uses GtkButton class, can this be?

That metacity looks very interesting!

wersdaluv
November 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hmm the scrollbars in that picture are exactly the same as the shiki-clearlooks-only (with added color and roundness). Perhaps you're referring to the border around the scrollbars? If so, that actually has nothing to do with scrollbars, that's the Notebook/Tabs background. You can make that rounded or larger in the Notebook section.
Ok. So how do I add color to scrollbars? Can I do that to shiki-dust too?

I already uncommented # colorize_scrollbar = TRUE # Uncommenting this gives you colorful scrollbars. bbut the scrollbars are still white

EDIT: Works now :D I just had problems with the files because they are located in three different folders including /usr/share/themes haha. I still dont know how to do it with shiki-dust though. or maybe I'll just play with the colors and use the shiki-dust metacity :D EDIT again: ooops. i cant. the panels and toolbars are messy. hehe

perfectska04@hotmail.com
November 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Ok. So how do I add color to scrollbars? Can I do that to shiki-dust too?

I already uncommented # colorize_scrollbar = TRUE # Uncommenting this gives you colorful scrollbars. bbut the scrollbars are still white

If they're still white, try uncommenting the line above:
# bg[SELECTED] = @selected_bg_color

Shiki-Dust uses murrine SVN for scrollbars, so if you want the same with that theme, try replacing the scrollbar section from the clearlooks version you're working on into that one.

druellan
November 12th, 2008, 02:27 AM
That metacity looks very interesting!
Hey, thanks! :D Your's is pretty cool, but the idea of the fork is to create something more compact. I really like the cool orange topline of the original, so I decided to keep it, and that gradient helps to mask the fact that you're loosing 2px because the detail :p

wersdaluv
November 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm loving this warm, rubbery feel :D

perfectska04
November 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I created a google code homepage for the GNOME-Colors suite.
From now on, you can always find the latest releases, relevant files, personal mods (Shiki-Dust), etc. You can also use it to submit bugs, feature requests and so on.

Clicky here. (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/)

mrgnash
November 15th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I created a google code homepage for the GNOME-Colors suite.
From now on, you can always find the latest releases, relevant files, personal mods (Shiki-Dust), etc. You can also use it to submit bugs, feature requests and so on.

Clicky here. (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/)

Epic win :D

perfectska04
November 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Epic win :D

Thanks!

Also, if anyone's familiar with making debian installable packages or just general bash knowledge, I'd really appreciate the help. I want to make everything easier to install in Ubuntu and somehow clean up the ColorizeMe scripts.

fballem
November 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks!

Also, if anyone's familiar with making debian installable packages or just general bash knowledge, I'd really appreciate the help. I want to make everything easier to install in Ubuntu and somehow clean up the ColorizeMe scripts.

I need a place to put the source files and two debs. Sizes are 19.2 meg for the .deb and 19.8 meg for the .tar

I'll need instructions on how to do the upload.

Thanks,

perfectska04
November 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I need a place to put the source files and two debs. Sizes are 19.2 meg for the .deb and 19.8 meg for the .tar

I'll need instructions on how to do the upload.

Thanks,

You can probably upload them to any free provider such as mediafire or drop.io

I'll test them, add in any changes I've made and upload them to the google code page. Thanks!

fballem
November 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I've put the debs and a tar of the source here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=046374f71330ec4dab1eab3e9fa335ca1691171a 9aedb7a6

wersdaluv
November 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've put the debs and a tar of the source here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=046374f71330ec4dab1eab3e9fa335ca1691171a 9aedb7a6
That's not Shiki at all. haha

fballem
November 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
That's not Shiki at all. haha

Don't think that this was supposed to be Shiki - I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that we were working on nimbus.

In any case, I have updated the bug report at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/162984 and I will use that to continue reporting.

Thanks,

wersdaluv
November 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Don't think that this was supposed to be Shiki - I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that we were working on nimbus.

In any case, I have updated the bug report at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/162984 and I will use that to continue reporting.

Thanks,
Haha. See this old thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491154

Edit: Oh. Apparently, I reported that bug. hehe

Mr. Picklesworth
November 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Heh, I switched to Shiki as well. It's a good contrast to my previous standby PlanoLM + Unity :)
I must admit, though, I'm not using the colourful icons. Going with Shiki-Brave and the Tango icon set. Looks quite striking!

It would be nice with some RGBA magic creating just a tiny little bit of transparency on that menu bar and title bar. (Ah, if only Metacity themes were the same as GTK ones...).

graabein
November 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Been trying Shiki and I like it a lot. :KS:KS:KS

Will also check out Plano.

Anyone know if Nimbus (from OpenSolaris) runs well on Intrepid?

wersdaluv
November 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Been trying Shiki and I like it a lot. :KS:KS:KS

Will also check out Plano.

Anyone know if Nimbus (from OpenSolaris) runs well on Intrepid?
It does and it's beautiful. My only problems are it's not Tango-compliant so the look isn't consistent and a lot of icons don't appear on Ubuntu.

fballem
November 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It does and it's beautiful. My only problems are it's not Tango-compliant so the look isn't consistent and a lot of icons don't appear on Ubuntu.

Is there a chance that you could start listing the icons that are inconsistent? As part of my learning exercise, I'm setting up a project in Launchpad to do a proper migration of nimbus to ubuntu. Any help would be appreciated, and it may be possible to addresss the 'inconsistent' icon issue.

In a perfect world, if the list could be in a spreadsheet or a table showing the ubuntu name, the nimbus name (if known), and a brief description of what the icon does. If that's not possible, then a list telling us what is in error would be much appreciated.

You may provide the list in this thread, or by selecting the Answer tab at: https://launchpad.net/nimbus-ubuntu

Thanks,

wersdaluv
November 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry but I can't. There are just too many icons. The most obvious ones though are the Shutdown, Restart, Suspend, and Hibernate icons.

fballem
November 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry but I can't. There are just too many icons. The most obvious ones though are the Shutdown, Restart, Suspend, and Hibernate icons.

If you get a chance, could you please take a screenshot similar to the one that I've attached?

The reason that I'm asking is that the icons for Lock Screen, Logout and Shutdown are the ones in Nimbus on my screenshot.

wersdaluv
November 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM
If you get a chance, could you please take a screenshot similar to the one that I've attached?

The reason that I'm asking is that the icons for Lock Screen, Logout and Shutdown are the ones in Nimbus on my screenshot.
Wow. Apparently, in this version, they're already used. Look at the Suspend button, though. I'm not sure if this still is a problem but the last time I checked, a lot of Nimbus icons don't appear under System->Preferences and System->Administration menus. At a quick glance, I noticed the "Authorizations" icon to be non-Nimbus. I also suggest using a glossier Ubuntu icon so that the look would go with the rest of the Nimbus theme. Also, I don't have the same openoffice.org icons that you have. I have the old Tango ones.

sdowney717
November 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Not sure but the solid black menu is unnerving me

PCessna
November 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Yes, GNOME has so wonderful themes. Nice post. *itches GNOME's foot and makes it laugh* hehe, I love GNOME ^^

fballem
November 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Wow. Apparently, in this version, they're already used. Look at the Suspend button, though. I'm not sure if this still is a problem but the last time I checked, a lot of Nimbus icons don't appear under System->Preferences and System->Administration menus. At a quick glance, I noticed the "Authorizations" icon to be non-Nimbus. I also suggest using a glossier Ubuntu icon so that the look would go with the rest of the Nimbus theme. Also, I don't have the same openoffice.org icons that you have. I have the old Tango ones.

The Open Office icons are in place because I downloaded and installed OpenOffice 3.0 from the open office website, not from the launchpad.ppa. As I get deeper into this, I will have a look at the Authorizations icon. According to the source that I have from Sun, the default icons are Clearlooks unless they are replaced by Nimbus.

Thanks for the feedback. Once I've figured out how to set things up in launchpad, I'll come back to this thread and let you know. If it is convenient for you, please keep this in your Subscribed threads.

Regards,

wersdaluv
November 21st, 2008, 02:33 AM
If you don't mind, please make a separate thread for that or just post in this old Nimbus thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491154) because this one is intended for Shiki :D

fballem
November 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
If you don't mind, please make a separate thread for that or just post in this old Nimbus thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491154) because this one is intended for Shiki :D

Done - everybody who is interested in Nimbus, I'll post updates in the other thread

wersdaluv
November 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Been religiously cecking for the Shiki update since yesterday ;)

druellan
December 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Finally get the time to publish my Shiki-Human Semicompact hack.
If anyone using a small screen notebook/netbook want to give it a try... http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=96171

Oh, and ...
http://www.sayville.com/pics/newyear2_wht.gif

motang
December 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yes Shiki-Colors is awesome! I have been using it since Oct. and ablsolutly love it. It also goes well with Murrina-Human-Classic (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Murrina+Human+Classic?content=49904).

My current notebook (http://www.ourdesktops.com/desktop/user/motang98) setup, and desktop (http://www.ourdesktops.com/desktop/user/motang) setup.

dannytatom
December 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
I've been using it for months, and haven't found another worth switching to. :o

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Window Menu" in the window titles (far left circle) and the strip of color at the top of the window title? Those are the only two things I find annoying.

perfectska04
January 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I've been using it for months, and haven't found another worth switching to. :o

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Window Menu" in the window titles (far left circle) and the strip of color at the top of the window title? Those are the only two things I find annoying.

You can't remove the strip of color at the top, but you can get rid of the menu icon by using the "Easy Metacity" or upgrading to one of the latest versions.

Oh, and by the way - 2.5 is out. The MurrineSVN version is now murrine-only and depends on the very latest revision of the Murrine engine to take advantage of its new features.

wersdaluv
January 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
That's the way of the Jedi Master.

Fat scrollbars. Amen. Imma check it out when I boot to Ubuntu :)

wersdaluv
January 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
6 of 5 stars. Pwned my ****. 'Nuff said.

perfectska04
January 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
6 of 5 stars. Pwned my ****. 'Nuff said.

Thanks! Although I'm still hoping the Murrine developer will finally add some nice focus highlights, since the ugly dotted focus lines are the only thing that makes Clearlooks better than Murrine at this point.

|eafhound
January 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Only rated at 77%

Coded.Symphony
January 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Definately the best theme i have ever seen for ubuntu so far, its subtle and very beautiful yet bold and striking at the same time. never has anything been so emo and yet such a success xD

druellan
January 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks! Although I'm still hoping the Murrine developer will finally add some nice focus highlights
At least he now has a new notebook to work from the campus :)

perfectska04
January 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Only rated at 77%

Yeah, GTK themes overall don't have a high rating in any of the *look sites. Shiki and Dust are usually the highest rated (I think Shiki is the highest rated currently) but it's still only about 77% fluctuating over time. Either way, the ratings on the site don't determine too much - as there are many great themes submitted by various people but don't get a lot of attention because there are simply too many submissions.

perfectska04
January 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
At least he now has a new notebook to work from the campus :)

Yeah, I read that on his blog!

He is waiting for a good design to replace the dotted lines, so if anyone here has a suggestion or idea for a focus highlight, you can submit it here:
Focus Highlight Mockup (http://www.cimitan.com/murrine/node/126#comments)

RiceMonster
January 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I like the new version a lot. I had to update murrine-svn, but that was easy enough to do. I just did

yaourt -Syu --devel

And it updated it. Great theme, by the way. I change my theme and wallpaper all the time, but I always end up going back to shiki colors.

perfectska04
January 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I like the new version a lot. I had to update murrine-svn, but that was easy enough to do. I just did

yaourt -Syu --devel

And it updated it. Great theme, by the way. I change my theme and wallpaper all the time, but I always end up going back to shiki colors.

Yeah, the latest svn version added a lot of nice effects and options.
If anyone's using Intrepid, here's some .deb packages for revision 126 of the murrine engine:
i386 (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ztdtmiyyd2y)
amd64 (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?de0jmmzydyb)

gnomeuser
January 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I am using it right now with the tango icons (because they are the most complete iconset with good design). I am on the clearlooks version mostly because the murrine one seems to require a version that is better than the svn snapshot in Jaunty currently and I can't be bothered to fetch a newer one.

So far I find it very nice, though the grey base color is somewhat dull and 90's.

OutOfReach
January 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Nice job on 2.5

But I think I liked the skinnier scrollbars better. But that's not something that I'll make a big deal from.

I've been using Shiki-Colors since 1.5 and I'm still loving it :)

perfectska04
January 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Nice job on 2.5

But I think I liked the skinnier scrollbars better. But that's not something that I'll make a big deal from.

I've been using Shiki-Colors since 1.5 and I'm still loving it :)

You can make them any size you want by editing the line that says:
GtkRange::slider-width = 15 # Scrollbar width.

I made them larger because it's simply easier to click and the new glowstyle options in Murrine help make the color a bit more subtle.

wersdaluv
January 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks! Although I'm still hoping the Murrine developer will finally add some nice focus highlights, since the ugly dotted focus lines are the only thing that makes Clearlooks better than Murrine at this point.
Haha. Murrine matured a lot in this version compared to the previous line. It seems to have adopted good ideas from Clearlooks, Aurora and Nodoka. As for the dotted focus lines, I kinda liked it maybe because it made me feel that there's something new with my desktop. hehe. I also noticed that it's lighter than ever. I suppose that it's because it's pure murrine. Good job :KS

rick08
January 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Aaaaah Dangit! Now I have to change my theme when I go home.:D

Herrman
January 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for posting this!
This is the first black theme that I really like, it isn't too dark, like the most black themes.

thawkth
January 22nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
When I first used shiki a few months ago I had everything working flawlessly using the ubuntu installer.

I believe I had to poke around for a decent firefox theme to try to make it blend...but I did not keep track of the theme name!

Currently, if I use the default firefox theme, the buttons, address bar, etc are all the default grey color. The icons themselves will change color etc but the background will not!

I don't know if I ever found a perfect theme. The best I can do right now is the dust theme which looks pretty nice but isn't *quite* there.

Anybody have any suggestions on a good theme for ff3 in 8.10?

BigSilly
February 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I think Camifox works really well with most themes, and it's the one I'm currently using with Shiki. Strata Reloaded or Strata Human are nice looks too, but I prefer the simpler, less fuss Camifox on balance.

Recently gone back to Shiki-Colours, and have to say I think it's absolutely fantastic. Really looks the business on Ubuntu. Would love to see this as the default Ubuntu look in the future. I think there's a lovely balance of colour that many dark themes seem to shy away from. I'm not a big fan of monochrome desktops. Shiki-Human is my favourite for sure, and with the Gnome-Colours icons and the lovely Arc Colours GDM it's a very complete and pretty look for Ubuntu. I'm really glad I decided to try it again.

wingnux
February 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've installed Shiki yesterday and it's AWESOME! =)

TwiceOver
February 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Been trying to change the "Windows Like" icon with no success.

The only icons I can find for the theme are in /usr/share/icons/gnome-brave. I have changed them all to the default ubuntu logo and still have the same "Windows" icon.

Is there somewhere else the icons may be? I have no icons in /user/home anywhere.

TIA.

PythonPower
February 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
The darker aspects are nicest but the blue/ green colours need tweaking in my opinion. They look slightly washed/ impure to me. Overall: nice.

Sprut1
February 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Looks really nice, I'll try this!

b3n87
February 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Sh*t me! This theme is epic, and so easy to install with the script!

A++++

TwiceOver
February 19th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Been trying to change the "Windows Like" icon with no success.

The only icons I can find for the theme are in /usr/share/icons/gnome-brave. I have changed them all to the default ubuntu logo and still have the same "Windows" icon.

Is there somewhere else the icons may be? I have no icons in /user/home anywhere.

TIA.

OK I got it. You should add the information from This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2399692&postcount=5) post to the OP.

suitedaces
March 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Just installed this and I love it.

wersdaluv
March 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I just updated my install. I love it too. :)

For I while, I used Nodoka Dust but nothing really beats this.

treesurf
March 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Fantastic theme, and the easy install script is much appreciated.

One question: Is there any way to reduce the height of the window title bars? I'm trying to maximize screen space.

CK05
March 31st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Is it easy to port themes over to Windows?

I think if this theme was installable to Wine, my search for the perfect desktop would be over!

wersdaluv
April 12th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Check out the latest release. At long last, Windows without menu bars no longer look awkward. :)

I loved a lot of other themes especially my version of Nodoka Dust, or what I call Dawn Nodoka ( http://rapidshare.com/files/218890818/Dawn_Nodoka.tar.gz.html ) and other Dust variants; but I keep on coming back to perfectska04's work because of "bug-free-ness", usability, and lightness. Shiki is just so resource-efficient. Doesn't compete with apps in eating my RAM real estate and CPU usage.

RiceMonster
April 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
ooh! An official Xfwm theme now. I'm updating. Currently using noble, looks great.

perfectska04
April 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM
One question: Is there any way to reduce the height of the window title bars? I'm trying to maximize screen space.
The new metacity is rather compact, you should try it out.

Is it easy to port themes over to Windows?
I think if this theme was installable to Wine, my search for the perfect desktop would be over!
I have no idea wether you can port GTK themes to windows or not... I haven't made a windows theme in years. You can, however, tweak the color-scheme settings. If you set the same background color and make the menubar/menus dark, WINE apps should fit right in. I think I posted a working WINE colorscheme in the theme's gnome-look page sometime ago.

I keep on coming back to perfectska04's work because of "bug-free-ness", usability, and lightness.
Shiki should be pretty much bug-free as long as you install the Firefox Userstyle. (The userstyle is very adaptable, so it won't mess up any other theme you use, and will also fix themes that are similar to Shiki).

ooh! An official Xfwm theme now. I'm updating. Currently using noble, looks great.
I based the xfwm on Dust's, since I have little experience with it, but it should look just like the official metacity - the only difference being 2px borders instead of 1px, and no grey padding at the bottom. If you find any bug in the xfwm or have any recommendations, I'd welcome them, as it's the first xfwm I've worked on.

wersdaluv
April 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Shiki should be pretty much bug-free as long as you install the Firefox Userstyle. (The userstyle is very adaptable, so it won't mess up any other theme you use, and will also fix themes that are similar to Shiki).

Yep. I use that for all dark and hybrid themes. Probably, the only hybrid theme bug present in Shiki now is the color of hide buttons of the gnome-panel.

wersdaluv
April 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
This would work well as Ubuntu's default theme
http://g.imagehost.org/t/0777/Shiki-Dust_Screenshot.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0777/Shiki-Dust_Screenshot)

wersdaluv
April 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm so into this theme. Can't stop looking at my desktop. It's weird. hehe

perfectska04
April 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm so into this theme. Can't stop looking at my desktop. It's weird. hehe

Heh, glad you like it that much. Although I'm obviously biased, I just can't seem to use any other theme than Shiki... It looks nice, I never see any blurry icons, and it doesn't get in my way.

I really need to start developing some usplash/plymouth themes, it's just about the only thing that's missing... That and a sound scheme, although I found a very relaxing one called "Dream", which doesn't scare the hell out of me when my laptop boots, like Ubuntu's default one does.

I don't know who's the author, but I found it in this PPA (who also has the latest shiki/arc/gnome-colors packages, which is nice):
https://launchpad.net/~vicox/+archive/ppa

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
perfectska04, this is my favorite theme by far. I change my theme all the time but I always go back to Shiki, because it looks great (it's one of the nicest themes I've seen), it's bug free (once you add the firefox fix, which isn't a problem), and the gtkrc is well documented, so adjusting it to my liking is really easy. Also, the new Xfwm theme looks great. I was using the unofficial one before, which was fine, but the official one is a little better (though to be honest, I do sort of miss that stripe along the top).

Overall, good work and keep it up.

perfectska04
April 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
perfectska04, this is my favorite theme by far. I change my theme all the time but I always go back to Shiki, because it looks great (it's one of the nicest themes I've seen), it's bug free (once you add the firefox fix, which isn't a problem), and the gtkrc is well documented, so adjusting it to my liking is really easy. Also, the new Xfwm theme looks great. I was using the unofficial one before, which was fine, but the official one is a little better (though to be honest, I do sort of miss that stripe along the top).

Overall, good work and keep it up.

Thanks for the compliments!

Note to self: Make new optional xfwm themes. Since there are three metacities (the default one with 1px borders and a shadow at the bottom, the easy one with 3px borders, and the striped one with the old look but based on the new code) I'll try to make the remaining ones so XFCE users have the same options.

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Excellent, great to here.

james.paige
April 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
The first thing I do when I install a new system is download shiki.

It's the most professional looking theme out there.

The built in menu to upgrade/change colors is a bonus.

Excellent job on this theme.

-jay-
April 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
very good theme using it now

wersdaluv
April 16th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Heh, glad you like it that much. Although I'm obviously biased, I just can't seem to use any other theme than Shiki... It looks nice, I never see any blurry icons, and it doesn't get in my way.

I really need to start developing some usplash/plymouth themes, it's just about the only thing that's missing... That and a sound scheme, although I found a very relaxing one called "Dream", which doesn't scare the hell out of me when my laptop boots, like Ubuntu's default one does.

I don't know who's the author, but I found it in this PPA (who also has the latest shiki/arc/gnome-colors packages, which is nice):
https://launchpad.net/~vicox/+archive/ppa
Wow. That's a very updated PPA.Thanks :)

Is this the sound theme? http://www.ubuntu-art.org/content/show.php/Dream?content=75398

Can you add a link to the sound theme from your Shiki page? :)

perfectska04
April 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Wow. That's a very updated PPA.Thanks :)

Is this the sound theme? http://www.ubuntu-art.org/content/show.php/Dream?content=75398

Can you add a link to the sound theme from your Shiki page? :)

Yep, I think that's the one. I'll try to add a link to it, or perhaps to that PPA, since it seems to update its packages just about as soon as I upgrade something, which is awesome.

Joe
April 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I can't for the life of me change the menu icon to the Ubuntu logo for the gnome-human icon theme. I was able to do it for all the other gnome-colors icon themes except for gnome-human by following the directions in the first post. Anyone have any ideas?

perfectska04
April 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I can't for the life of me change the menu icon to the Ubuntu logo for the gnome-human icon theme. I was able to do it for all the other gnome-colors icon themes except for gnome-human by following the directions in the first post. Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps you have a cache file "icon-theme.cache". If so, any changes you make to the themes won't be noticeable unless you reload the cache or delete icon-theme.cache, and reload the icon set (by switching to another icon theme and back).

spamjam
April 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Awww, no more emerald :(

How do I install XFWM?

Can I enable it with CCSM with 'xfwm --replace' after I install?

perfectska04
April 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Awww, no more emerald :(

How do I install XFWM?

Can I enable it with CCSM with 'xfwm --replace' after I install?

The XFWM is only for XFCE. If you're using GNOME, you can use the included metacities - which are better and more functional than the emerald themes ever were.

spamjam
April 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The XFWM is only for XFCE. If you're using GNOME, you can use the included metacities - which are better and more functional than the emerald themes ever were.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Is there anyway to remove the icons on the metacity on the left corner?

Btw, this theme is perfect! ;)

perfectska04
April 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Is there anyway to remove the icons on the metacity on the left corner?

Btw, this theme is perfect! ;)

Yeah, you can decide the button layout using gconf-editor.

Just press ALT + F2, type gconf-editor and go to the /apps/metacity/general folder. You can edit the "button_layout" string to your liking.

Joe
April 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Perhaps you have a cache file "icon-theme.cache". If so, any changes you make to the themes won't be noticeable unless you reload the cache or delete icon-theme.cache, and reload the icon set (by switching to another icon theme and back).

I don't know what happened since I had it installed in /usr/share/icons but it turns out I had a gnome-human folder in my ~/.icons directory as well so it must have been using the icons in that folder instead of the ones in /usr/share/icons. Anyway I deleted the ones in my home folder (which had the icon-theme.cache file) which fixed my problem.

Orlsend
April 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
BTW Its also in the repositories of Epidermis (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org)

wersdaluv
May 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I just had a RAM upgrade so I can afford to have heavier themes so I made my own version of Shiki, a maximalistic and heavier one. This has more gradients and round edges, and colored scrollbars.

Attached here is Shiki-Brave-G and the screenshot. You can request for other color variants if you don't want to edit gtkrc's yourself. :)

wersdaluv
May 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
This theme is insanely popular. I see it everywhere.

The future of this theme is very clear, especially the icon theme now. It's evolving to the Mango look and feel.

perfectska04
May 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
This theme is insanely popular. I see it everywhere.

The future of this theme is very clear, especially the icon theme now. It's evolving to the Mango look and feel.

It's evolving into the next-gen gnome-icon-theme, rather than Mango :)

Most of the new icons are either based or directly from the new one-canvas branch of the default gnome icon set. You guys should probably check it out, as these shiny new gnome icons will be the future of GNOME.

Browse the git:
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-icon-theme/tree/?h=one-canvas

On an unrelated topic, Opensuse is shipping a very customized version of Shiki. This means more and more people will get used to this design, and more developers will fix their stuff to work better with themes like this.

wersdaluv
May 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
It's evolving into the next-gen gnome-icon-theme, rather than Mango :)

Most of the new icons are either based or directly from the new one-canvas branch of the default gnome icon set. You guys should probably check it out, as these shiny new gnome icons will be the future of GNOME.

Browse the git:
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-icon-theme/tree/?h=one-canvas

On an unrelated topic, Opensuse is shipping a very customized version of Shiki. This means more and more people will get used to this design, and more developers will fix their stuff to work better with themes like this.
Any link to OpenSuSE's Shiki? :)

EDIT:
Found it. It's the Sonar theme. Though I still prefer your version over theirs, this is a good move because like you said, there will be more contributions to Shiki and similar themes because of this :)

perfectska04
May 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Any link to OpenSuSE's Shiki? :)

It's called "Sonar", I think it was modified by the great Jakub Steiner (the guy behind most gnome and tango/mango icons). It's certainly very different from the Shiki base, but it does have the same overall design (and it looks great). I don't have any packages with me, I only noticed the themes when I was trying out the Opensuse 11.2 Milestone 2 live-cd. I've seen some .rpm's in the opensuse repos, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to extract .rpm's in Ubuntu.

I think there's also a "Sonar" icon theme based on gnome-wise, but it seems to be based on a very, very old version of gnome-colors and it isn't present in the livecd.

kamitsukai
May 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I like the Linux Mint Implementation of the Shiki Colours Theme in Mint 7 "Gloria" =]

http://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/gloria/12.png

perfectska04
May 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I like the Linux Mint Implementation of the Shiki Colours Theme in Mint 7 "Gloria" =]

I also noticed that since their release candidate. It looks great, and the Mint menu doen't have blurry icons like it did in previous versions! I switched my laptop to Mint just the other day... it's nice to have CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE back!

I do kinda wish they updated the icons to the latest gnome-colors... Updating them is pretty much the only thing I had to do, and all the green looks great with my laptop - as it has a green lid to match.

kamitsukai
May 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I also noticed that since their release candidate. It looks great, and the Mint menu doen't have blurry icons like it did in previous versions! I switched my laptop to Mint just the other day... it's nice to have CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE back!

I do kinda wish they updated the icons to the latest gnome-colors... Updating them is pretty much the only thing I had to do, and all the green looks great with my laptop - as it has a green lid to match.

Sounds cool =] I'm in the middle of updating my mum's laptop for which mint is perfect although I'm waiting for the x64 release for my PC:D

wersdaluv
May 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It's called "Sonar", I think it was modified by the great Jakub Steiner (the guy behind most gnome and tango/mango icons). It's certainly very different from the Shiki base, but it does have the same overall design (and it looks great). I don't have any packages with me, I only noticed the themes when I was trying out the Opensuse 11.2 Milestone 2 live-cd. I've seen some .rpm's in the opensuse repos, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to extract .rpm's in Ubuntu.

I think there's also a "Sonar" icon theme based on gnome-wise, but it seems to be based on a very, very old version of gnome-colors and it isn't present in the livecd.
I managed to install Sonar this morning. I don't like it as much but it's not so bad for an early release. I don't get why he made the scrollbars like that. They look really out of place. I think, I can edit it to how I prefer it, though.

I managed to use the Sonar icon theme by making a deb with alien then extracting the deb. Installing the deb doesn't seem to put the icons in the right directory so I had to move them to the folder manually. The icons look completely like the old version of GNOME-Wise. It seems that they just renamed this.

I'm excited about Sonar because it's Jakub Steiner, but to be honest, I'm more excited about Victor C's work. hehe. Sonar doesn't seem to grow as quickly as your projects.

wersdaluv
May 30th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here's my version of Sonar. I edited the scrollbars and used the latest version of GNOME-Wise :)

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0610/Screenshot.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0610/Screenshot)

I like the bold Clock font. What's your take on that, Victor? :)

EDIT:
I changed my mind. Here are new scrollbars.
http://g.imagehost.org/t/0934/Screenshot-The_Widget_Factory.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0934/Screenshot-The_Widget_Factory)

Attached is the gtk theme file

perfectska04
May 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Sounds cool =] I'm in the middle of updating my mum's laptop for which mint is perfect although I'm waiting for the x64 release for my PC:D

Yeah, it kinda sucks to have to wait longer for x64... but considering the amount of work they put into, it's only natural.

Here's my version of Sonar. I edited the scrollbars and used the latest version of GNOME-Wise :)

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0610/Screenshot.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0610/Screenshot)

I like the bold Clock font. What's your take on that, Victor? :)

That looks really nice, although I personally prefer my metacity (it's more compact and the buttons are nicer). The metacity glow is a good idea, though... Perhaps I'll add it to Shiki in future versions.

As for bold clock, I'd like it more if the entire panel was bold... It just seems a bit distracting when more than one item in the panel is bold, yet everything else is not. In other words, I think it looks best when only the main menu is bold or when everything is bold.

wersdaluv
May 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
That looks really nice, although I personally prefer my metacity (it's more compact and the buttons are nicer). The metacity glow is a good idea, though... Perhaps I'll add it to Shiki in future versions.

Nice. To be honest, after a few hours of using it, I actually liked the metacity. It looks really good on apps without menu bars. The glow fades on the right spot in such a way that the shape of the metacity is just right for the said apps. I'm looking forward to seeing it in future versions.

As for bold clock, I'd like it more if the entire panel was bold... It just seems a bit distracting when more than one item in the panel is bold, yet everything else is not. In other words, I think it looks best when only the main menu is bold or when everything is bold.

Yeah. It's awkward when some items aren't bold.

I didn't like Sonar at first because I was predisposed to Shiki's feel. Sonar, however, has different principles. The OpenSuSE guys have a different set of principles. They are into a look and feel that's rounder and has more gradients. It's nice too. Shiki, on the other hand, is more minimalistic and prioritizes conserving resource usage more.

perfectska04
May 31st, 2009, 02:49 AM
I didn't like Sonar at first because I was predisposed to Shiki's feel. Sonar, however, has different principles. The OpenSuSE guys have a different set of principles. They are into a look and feel that's rounder and has more gradients. It's nice too. Shiki, on the other hand, is more minimalistic and prioritizes conserving resource usage more.

It's hard to get into new things, but I personally like it.. Some minor changes here and there are needed, but the idea of it is great; the inverted toolbar is also a nice touch.

About resource usage:
Shiki is fast mostly because it uses little roundness (roundness is probably the only noticeable performance modifier in non-pixmap engines). However, on modern PC's, even a high roundness and pixmap engines are relatively quick... You'll probably only notice performance differences in apps like GTKPerf, unless you're running an old Atom or very old Celeron.

SomeGuyDude
May 31st, 2009, 02:53 AM
Spaaaace Duuuuuuust....

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/spacedust?content=105448

perfectska04
May 31st, 2009, 03:00 AM
Spaaaace Duuuuuuust....

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/spacedust?content=105448

Nice and compact. I like the fact that it doesn't look that much like Dust despite its name, although the sliders and progressbars could use some work.

SomeGuyDude
May 31st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Nice and compact. I like the fact that it doesn't look that much like Dust despite its name, although the sliders and progressbars could use some work.

I replaced them with the Murrine ones and it looks halfway decent. Not sure I'm in love with it, though.

wersdaluv
June 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
The new Dust variant of the GNOME-Colors suite is the best GNOME theme I have ever seen so far.

Therion
June 22nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Spaaaace Duuuuuuust....
No, you... You DIDN'T go there, did you? I'm putting too much into it. Yes, that's it...

I must be.

TELL ME that's not a... a... cartoon reference??!

wersdaluv
July 5th, 2009, 01:21 AM
The best just got better. The latest GNOME-Colors icons are now in ver. 5.0 while the gtk theme (Shiki-Colors) is now on ver. 4.3.1.

Get 'em now! http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717

perfectska04
July 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
The best just got better. The latest GNOME-Colors icons are now in ver. 5.0 while the gtk theme (Shiki-Colors) is now on ver. 4.3.1.

Get 'em now! http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors?content=86717

You forgot to mention that now you get 6 complete icon sets in a tiny 4.5 MB package :)

Arc-Colors also had a redesign, with new wallpapers - and everything is now available in SVN if you can't wait between releases.

wersdaluv
July 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
You forgot to mention that now you get 6 complete icon sets in a tiny 4.5 MB package :)

Arc-Colors also had a redesign, with new wallpapers - and everything is now available in SVN if you can't wait between releases.
Oh yes! I was wondering why. Is it because icons are just linked to the common one? :D

perfectska04
July 5th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Oh yes! I was wondering why. Is it because icons are just linked to the common one? :D

Over the course of 3.5 to 5.0 I remade most icons to be neutral and common for all themes, so now all that work pays off - a single base library can contain everything that is shared, and the rest just inherits from it.

Also, if you make your own icon set - you can just have the icons you want and inherit the rest from gnome-colors's common library. It saves a lot of space and time.

wersdaluv
July 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Over the course of 3.5 to 5.0 I remade most icons to be neutral and common for all themes, so now all that work pays off - a single base library can contain everything that is shared, and the rest just inherits from it.

Also, if you make your own icon set - you can just have the icons you want and inherit the rest from gnome-colors's common library. It saves a lot of space and time.
Genius. :)

I hope GNOME 3.0 doesn't put all your work here to waste.

Blittzd
July 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM
perfectska04, I love your shiki-colors themes. Absolutely beautiful, even the Windows lovers on my forum agree! They asked if it was a Vista theme! :P

I find it PERFECT, apart from one small thing. When the Gnome Panel is set to a transparent background (or even semi-transparent), using either the opacity settings/slider or a custom background, the panel shows up with the default grey background around icons and menus, which looks terrible when half the panel is transparent. If the theme could be used with a custom background panel image, I would never use another theme again, it's just perfect. I'll post a screenshot of what I mean if I am making no sense. :D

Is there any way I could tweak this? Or could you "fix" this in an upcoming release?

Thanks for your feedback,
Blittzd

perfectska04
July 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM
perfectska04, I love your shiki-colors themes. Absolutely beautiful, even the Windows lovers on my forum agree! They asked if it was a Vista theme! :P

I find it PERFECT, apart from one small thing. When the Gnome Panel is set to a transparent background (or even semi-transparent), using either the opacity settings/slider or a custom background, the panel shows up with the default grey background around icons and menus, which looks terrible when half the panel is transparent. If the theme could be used with a custom background panel image, I would never use another theme again, it's just perfect. I'll post a screenshot of what I mean if I am making no sense. :D

Is there any way I could tweak this? Or could you "fix" this in an upcoming release?

Thanks for your feedback,
Blittzd

It can be fixed, but having nice gradient panels is part of the design. GNOME's flat panels are a terrible fit for Shiki. If you want to use custom panels, just edit or delete line #9 in the included panel.rc

perfectska04
July 5th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Genius. :)

I hope GNOME 3.0 doesn't put all your work here to waste.

I don't think it will. If anything, I might have to copy some icons from the current gnome-icon-theme into gnome-colors-common to keep visual consistency intact once 3.0's version is released and if the new icons are far too different to the current style.

Blittzd
July 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
It can be fixed, but having nice gradient panels is part of the design. GNOME's flat panels are a terrible fit for Shiki. If you want to use custom panels, just edit or delete line #9 in the included panel.rc

Yeah, the gradient panels do look really nice- I simply prefer transparency because to blends in with my wallpaper more. Thanks for your instructions on how to change this!

Keep up the excellent work man! :D

BigSilly
July 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Shiki-Dust is absolutely lovely. It would make a fantastic default theme for Ubuntu in the long term. I am using your PPA Perfectska04, and I really like your improvements recently to the Dust login too!

A lot of people don't like the brown in Ubuntu, but for me both the regular Dust theme and the Shiki Dust theme are proof that it can be really attractive, appealing, and easy on the eye. It's a massive improvement for me over the usual blues that most other OS's choose, and it marks Ubuntu out as being very different, but very warm. I'd hate to see it go.

Mr Shuttleworth, stick with the brown for Ubuntu because it's part of its identity, but go for Shiki-Dust as the new theme. ;)

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the SHiki-Dust xfwm4 theme :)

Bear
July 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I like these.

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/ubuntu/265-great-themes-for-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope

wersdaluv
July 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think it will. If anything, I might have to copy some icons from the current gnome-icon-theme into gnome-colors-common to keep visual consistency intact once 3.0's version is released and if the new icons are far too different to the current style.
Yeah. Actually, I'm more worried about Shiki and other components of the theme set. A lot will change. I hope, they find a way to preserve the work done on gtk2 and others. :)

Anxious Nut
July 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
FYI this theme is the main theme in linux mint 7

perfectska04
July 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah. Actually, I'm more worried about Shiki and other components of the theme set. A lot will change. I hope, they find a way to preserve the work done on gtk2 and others. :)

I think they'll replace Metacity with Mutter and do away with compiz... I hope at least Mutter is backwards compatible, and adds some much needed corner anti-aliasing. If not, there's always Xfce and the always outstanding Xubuntu - I don't ever use workspaces, so having an entire desktop based around the concept might just not be for me.

FYI this theme is the main theme in linux mint 7

Yep, I think it's the only distro out there using the combination of Shiki, Arc and gnome-colors. openSUSE has a heavily modified version of Shiki (sonar theme) done by the extremely talented Jimmac, and other distros like Sabayon-GNOME, Easy-Peasy and Xubuntu use gnome-colors icons. I think Frugalware is also jumping to gnome-brave, although I'd really like to do their logo in tango-style, since I can't really see it properly in the smaller sizes.

Morty007
July 9th, 2009, 12:05 AM
How do I remove shiki colors? (I want to upgrade to the latest version.) Thanks.

perfectska04
July 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
How do I remove shiki colors? (I want to upgrade to the latest version.) Thanks.

It depends. Are you using the PPA? Did you install to /usr/share/themes or /usr/share/icons or through Appearance Preferences?

First of all, just go to ~/.icons and ~/.themes and remove any existing gnome-colors or shiki-colors installation. You might want to do the same in /usr/share/icons and /usr/share/themes as administrator if you installed there.

You can then, use the PPA and you'll always have the latest version. Otherwise, you can download the tarball - extract it, and type sudo make install in the extracted shiki and gnome-colors folders and the makefiles will take care of everything. To uninstall, sudo make uninstall will also work from the makefiles.

Morty007
July 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Ok, I'm still rather new to Linux. I installed through appearances, and I see my files in those folders. So just delete them then open up appearances again and drag the tar there?

perfectska04
July 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Ok, I'm still rather new to Linux. I installed through appearances, and I see my files in those folders. So just delete them then open up appearances again and drag the tar there?

If you installed them the first time from Appearance preferences, just:

1. Go to ~/.icons and ~/.themes
2. Delete only the folders named Shiki-* and gnome-*
3. Download the newest tarballs from here (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/downloads/list)
4. Extract the packages you downloaded to your desktop
5. Open up a terminal, type each of the following commands one after the other, as they finish installing:

cd Desktop/shiki-colors*
sudo make install

cd Desktop/gnome-colors*
sudo make install

Or, simply use the PPA to keep yourself up to date and never have to worry about it by going here (https://launchpad.net/~gnome-colors-packagers/+archive/ppa)

If you also downloaded Arc-Colors, just do the same as the above commands - just replace "shiki-" by "arc-"

perfectska04
July 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
GNOME-Colors icons now let you choose the color palettes in SVN (i.e. infinite, complete color variations of gnome-colors to suit any color in the rainbow).

Testers are welcome, the makefile works perfectly right now - provided you read the documentation for theme creation and install the dependencies, although more testers gives us a chance to catch and fix any bugs before a release.

If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind a little breakage, you can get the SVN version and satisfy dependencies with:

sudo apt-get install subversion inkscape imagemagick
svn checkout http://gnome-colors.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gnome-colors gnome-colors-read-only

And be sure to read the README file for instructions on theme creation/building from source.

koleoptero
July 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I can't believe I had the PPA for arc-colors for so long and didn't realize what it was.
Thank you.

perfectska04
July 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I can't believe I had the PPA for arc-colors for so long and didn't realize what it was.
Thank you.

No problem :)

The GDM part of Arc-Colors may die out in the future, though. The new GDM in Karmic and others do not support GDM theming. The wallpapers will probably just be packaged with Shiki-Colors.

keiichidono
July 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
No problem :)

The GDM part of Arc-Colors may die out in the future, though. The new GDM in Karmic and others do not support GDM theming. The wallpapers will probably just be packaged with Shiki-Colors.

Wha? Info and screenshot links?

perfectska04
July 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Wha? Info and screenshot links?

Launchpad GDM bug here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/395299)

I'd recommend not commenting any further on the issue, as the regression has already been confirmed, discussed and the developers already have their hands full.

Either way, if there is no themable GDM or graphical tool created, Arc-Colors will just be a set of wallpapers for Karmic.

keiichidono
July 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Wow, they should really fix that glaring bug. If not, then I guess we're going commando for Karmic. Hey just noticed you live in Miami too, which part? I live in Kendall.

perfectska04
July 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, they should really fix that glaring bug. If not, then I guess we're going commando for Karmic.

Well, you can still set wallpaper/GTK/icons to be used with the command line and restarting GDM - no need to skip something as grand as Karmic just for a minor regression. Fedora and other distributions have had this GDM for some release cycles now, so Ubuntu will just be the last major distribution to switch to the new framework.

Still, if they can get a graphical tool in place before release it would be just great.

perfectska04
July 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wow, they should really fix that glaring bug. If not, then I guess we're going commando for Karmic. Hey just noticed you live in Miami too, which part? I live in Kendall.

I live near Dolphin Mall, somewhere in-between Sweetwater and Doral :)

keiichidono
July 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I live near Dolphin Mall, somewhere in-between Sweetwater and Doral :)

Cool. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? ;)

perfectska04
July 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Cool. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? ;)

I'm not sure. Does it involve me hiding in fear at the threat of no longer being /a/nonymous? :lolflag:

keiichidono
July 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure. Does it involve me hiding in fear at the threat of no longer being /a/nonymous? :lolflag:

/latepost Yes it does. :D ):P Smile for the camera!

perfectska04
July 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
/latepost Yes it does. :D ):P Smile for the camera!

Well, guess I can always become a hiki and take refuge from the internet hate machine. /offtopic

keiichidono
July 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well, guess I can always become a hiki and take refuge from the internet hate machine. /offtopic

From those hackers on steroids? Nah, you're better off hiding at my place. \\:D/

wersdaluv
July 17th, 2009, 02:20 AM
There's something new about the gradients in Shiki Murrine. I don't know if it's because of the code or murrine, the engine, itself. Oh well. I guess, it's the code. There has been no murrine upgrade, afaik. Unless, nothing is really new. haha

perfectska04
July 17th, 2009, 02:37 AM
There's something new about the gradients in Shiki Murrine. I don't know if it's because of the code or murrine, the engine, itself. Oh well. I guess, it's the code. There has been no murrine upgrade, afaik. Unless, nothing is really new. haha

What exactly is happening with the gradients? A screenshot would be nice. Although I haven't really changed the code for a while, for the last few months, updates have only been panel fixes or new color variations.

wersdaluv
July 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Just the buttons and scrollbars. They seem to have a deeper shape. Probably, it's just me because it's been a while since the last time I used this. I've been using the clearlooks version. hehe

perfectska04
July 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Just the buttons and scrollbars. They seem to have a deeper shape. Probably, it's just me because it's been a while since the last time I used this. I've been using the clearlooks version. hehe

Perhaps it's just that. Murrine and Clearlooks do have clearly different gradients. I prefer the Murrine version, still.

koleoptero
July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I just love pink. :KS

perfectska04
July 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I just love pink. :KS

Pink looks great. The palette may or may not have been plagiarized from a certain EVA pilot. Picture related.

dannymichel
August 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
i agree it is the best. now if they could only make it a little more compact

wersdaluv
August 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hehe. I find it a little too compact already. More designs could be put on the theme if it was less compact. Being compact has its advantages, though, like saving screen space and maybe some cpu and ram.

I suggest that you use "text beside icons" on Appearance->Interface tab->Toolbar button labels :)

perfectska04
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM

For general usage, any more "compact-ness" would make the theme less functional. I recommend setting "Text beside icons" as wersdaluv mentioned, I personally love that setting - and it looks more consistent with Firefox.

You can also do minor changes to the metacities and make them a few pixels smaller, for a more compact look - although that might make dragging and resizing a tad more difficult.

meech
August 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
this theme looks nice!

wersdaluv
August 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I want to make the backgrounds of Nautilus and other apps like Pidgin a bit darker. How do I do that, perfectska04? Your dark theme attracted me to that idea

starcannon
August 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Cool, I'm gonna give it a shot.

wersdaluv
August 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
For some reason, I can sense that perfectska04 is preparing to release something big.