PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Darter 2 Shutdown Freezes

gaussian
August 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Just wanted to share something: My Darter 2 sometimes (may 1/3 of the times) does not shut down cleanly (it goes through the shutdown script but freezes just before it should power off or reboot). I think I have located the problem to hda-snd-intel module, which should be removed before shutdown. This is in 64-bit Gutsy, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing this in any other configuration.

My fix:
Put the following script to /etc/init.d/darterownscript

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
stop)
rmmod snd-hda-intel
;;
*)
esac

make it executable

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/darterownscript

and make symlink to it

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/darterownscript /etc/rc0.d/K60darterownscript

All this is shamelessly modified/stolen from Wiki page on how to get Asus EEE 901 work with Ubuntu (looks complicated, I am waiting for Ubuntu ultraportables from Dell and hopefully from System 76 before making a purchase). I have not have freeze-ups ever since (it has been four days now, several reboots because I have been playing with Intrepid). Feel free to test this.

williumbillium
August 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I experience this too. I'm running Gutsy 64 bit on the Daru2 also. I don't reboot very often so I haven't been able to pinpoint the situation that causes the hang but I'm starting to think that it only hangs after suspending.

I just tried rebooting 3 times after reading this post and it hung on both reboots after I suspended but it rebooted fine when I hadn't suspended.

Thanks for sharing the script though, I'll try it out and see what happens.

EDIT: Having made the updates to the shutdown scripts, I tried rebooting (after suspending) and it hung. I'm wondering if you haven't suspended because you are using intrepid and that's why you haven't been having any problems?

gaussian
August 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I experience this too. I'm running Gutsy 64 bit on the Daru2 also. I don't reboot very often so I haven't been able to pinpoint the situation that causes the hang but I'm starting to think that it only hangs after suspending.

I just tried rebooting 3 times after reading this post and it hung on both reboots after I suspended but it rebooted fine when I hadn't suspended.

Thanks for sharing the script though, I'll try it out and see what happens.

EDIT: Having made the updates to the shutdown scripts, I tried rebooting (after suspending) and it hung. I'm wondering if you haven't suspended because you are using intrepid and that's why you haven't been having any problems?

I Can confirm that you are right and I am wrong :) The problem seems to be unaffected by snd-hda-intel and has everything to do with suspending, I tried suspending and the reboot hung tried after that. Well, back to the drawing board.