PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with upgrade from gutsy to hardy by dvd

ubuscout
August 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hi people,

I've got this error trying upgrade by dvd Hardy Heron just bought from official site...

"Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disk"

...any advice ?!?

thx

finlost
August 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I am very new to Linux and very new around this forum, so I may be off target. From what I have read, it is best to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

ubuscout
August 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I am very new to Linux and very new around this forum, so I may be off target. From what I have read, it is best to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

thx fin, ...yes I could in that way, but I wouldn't like install from scratch... I prefer try first an upgrade :)

Therefore it's fun to me get that error, especially due to that I bought by merchandise is the original dvd :)

When I insert it I get the choice "run upgrade" or "start package manager"... clikking the first, it start the upgrade process but after a while I got the error. Obviusly clikking the second choice, it simply open synaptic and do nothing...

...any advice for get this upgrade from dvd ?!? thx :)

ubuscout
September 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
...bump :(

Anybody could help me ?

...I wouldn't like start network update (my internet connection isn't so fast) after just bought the original dvd from ubuntu merchandise :)

It seems the problem happen when the update manager start with searching an "index file" (package index I think) on dvd...

thx in advance :)

zvacet
September 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
You can not upgrade from live CD/DVD.You need alternate CD for that.Sorry.

ubuscout
September 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
thx <zvacet> ...

I was going to think it ..but I wasn't sure...
I hoped to be able do it same... :P

thx again

zvacet
September 5th, 2008, 11:20 PM
@ ubuscout

Maybe there is another solution.If you have separate home partition you can install Hardy over previous Ubuntu install.If you donīt have separate home read this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) and make one.I hope this will help you.

ubuscout
September 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
@ ubuscout

Maybe there is another solution.If you have separate home partition you can install Hardy over previous Ubuntu install.If you donīt have separate home read this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) and make one.I hope this will help you.

thx for all now I look in deep and will decide ! :-)

thx again