PDA

View Full Version : Comcast gives me tourette's syndrome.

Dremora
August 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have been on hold for 16 minutes already, typically it's 30 minutes before I get to speak to a human.

This time, they've shut of pieces of my service again, specifically my video on demand service.

Last couple of times they said it was cause I paid my bill late, but then I gave them proof I paid my bill 3-4 days before the due date, this local office is horrible to deal with and never knows what is going on.

This after telling me such classics as "our internet service isn't compatible with Linux.....is that like a Mac or something?" and then locking out my routers to try to upsell me to a more expensive modem.

Anyway, I'm glad my phone has a loudspeaker so I don't get a crick in my neck waiting on Comcast to pick up the phone.

Northsider
August 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
lol, Comcast is a joke. I hate calling them. I usually end up mashing the keypad until I speak to a human.

b3n87
August 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
What is Comcast and why do so many people hate them?

Dremora
August 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
What is Comcast and why do so many people hate them?

A really huge cable company that practically has a monopoly or near-monopoly status in the United States.

People generally dislike their billing practices, the internet throttling they did before the FCC ruling, the way they've skirted around that and throttled anyway after the ruling, the amount they charge for their "services", inept customer support, and ignorance of any system other than Windows or Mac.

(I had to tell them what Linux was and why I could not run their setup disc, after an hour on the phone, they activated the modem on their end)

lukjad
August 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like Bell Canada here.

b3n87
August 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
They sound like BT in England. They annoy me too. What was the FCC ruling (off-topic)?

mips
August 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think every country has it's own Comcast. Over here they are called Telkom.

smartboyathome
August 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Ugh, comcast, dont EVER let me call you, EVER!!! Luckily I have been one fo the few that have had few problems with their service (probably because our service doesn't have much to go wrong, just a basic modem with Digital Voice). At least its better than AOL (my previous internet provider). They're basically a joke now.

lukjad
August 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
AOL dial up is about $10 cheaper than High Speed Internet here and equal to medium speed Internet.

Dremora
August 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
AOL dial up is about $10 cheaper than High Speed Internet here and equal to medium speed Internet.

But Comcast gives you Ludicrous Speed. :lolflag:

Dremora
August 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
The lady on the phone upsold me to their premium lineup and movie channels. :popcorn:

They know my weaknesses!

joustin
August 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
The lady on the phone upsold me to their premium lineup and movie channels. :popcorn:

They know my weaknesses!

Well that is good to know, I work for Comcast and I know full and well what Linux is, though, I don't do phone support.

fwojciec
August 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
The technician who came to install the service kept asking about some "Start button" or something. :)

Luckily I had Windows installed on some forgotten partition somewhere...

Once I've set up the router to pretend that it is my computer's network card everything has been working great so I've no complaints about Comcast.

zmjjmz
August 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Damn throttling.

RiceMonster
August 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Sounds like Bell Canada here.

Oh how I hate them.

Icehuck
August 25th, 2008, 02:16 AM
But Comcast gives you Ludicrous Speed. :lolflag:

They've gone to plaid!

SunnyRabbiera
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I have had mixed results here, actually thanks to me I think comcast in my area is becoming more aware of linux but its slow going.

sstusick
August 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM
This after telling me such classics as "our internet service isn't compatible with Linux.....is that like a Mac or something?" and then locking out my routers to try to upsell me to a more expensive modem.How do they know that if they don't even know what Linux is or how it works? :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

doorknob60
August 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Local cable company FTW! (BendBroadband) They have good service, never had any problems with them. They told me I needed Windows though, but I just played along and said XP (I had win2k, but they didn't have to use any kind of software or touch the computer at all, just hooked the modem to the router and was surfing at full speed). With them you get everythign you get with big cable companies like Comcast (VOD, HD, Internet, Phone, etc.), but good customer service :) And the offer basic digital set top boxes for only $1.95/month :D Good because we get three of those (and one HD box), and some providers have like $5/month for their cheapest box :O Oh yeah and we're going all digital on Dec 31, 2008 :D Probably my fav cable company I've had (although AFAIK the only other one has been Comcast, and some crappy company with only Digital Cable TV with like 100 channels, no VOD or internet or anything). EDIT: BTW the person on the phone sounded like they knew what Linux is, they just apparently don't support it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't work with it...

Twitch6000
August 25th, 2008, 05:09 AM
They give me tv troubles sometimes...
The TVs in the house just randomly go off then back on :/

There also was this one time we called them out to fix the internet I had the main computer which is xp with a vista theme.The dude was like uhhhhhhh does that have vista cause if it does I can't use it,I was like LOL nah its just xp with a vista theme.

Then he for some reason needed to look at my laptop which at the current time was loaded into Ubuntu he was like wow wtf is this.

I said Linux ubuntu.
He was Like omfg isn't that illegal I laughed and explained it.Then after he got through checking **** he said hey can I have a Linux CD?I was about to just explode laughing.
So I gave him ubuntu 7.10.Funny thing is I heard he got fired soon after...

zachtib
August 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Don't even get me started. I lived out in CA this summer, so I had to put up with Comcast... they completely botched what I requested, and wound up overcharging me by about 75%

gletob
August 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I refuse to get Internet from them because of the turtles :lolflag:

Lord DarkPat
August 25th, 2008, 08:46 AM
The ISP's here are awesome
When I told them that I had a Linux box, they sent a server technician who specializes in Linux and fixed it

ISP= UnitedNetworks

P.S. The only annoying thing is that they lower my bandwidth when I download a torrent

jmore9
September 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
This is mot my 1st round of service with comcast Internet i had canceled it once before because they would not keep up with the tv service theft. All these people hoking their tvs up to one input put a load on my connection which at the time was the 4mpps package.

Now i have the ceapie one with 90kbs download and don't have to many problems. My cable modem lights blink like crazy - from top to bottom - for about 3 minutes sometimes, but then goes away and internet is restored.

Tv stations sometimes disappear - clear QAM - but i think that is because comcast is doing something and not anything else.

All in all this time around for the money i am paying i feel it is a good purchase - cheapie internet and cheapie tv 90kb internet , basic tv

Oh yea, I also use Ubuntu and winxp with this connection and no problems with the linux box on the connection

Ms_Angel_D
September 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Last November when we moved we had to bring comcast with use, well our bill has been a month behind for approximately 2 yrs now. Before the move my hubby went into their office to pay the bill the lady told him how much it was, I belive she told him it was a little over $200.00. So he paid the bill and we believed we we're set to move. Well after the move they set up our service, and everything was fine. Then all the sudden about 3 weeks later we wake up one day and our cable is shut off, Seems some how their system screwed up and they we're saying that we needed to pay them $300.00 more dollars (of which we didn't have) to get it turned back on.

My husband was furious as we we're not told this at the office. He spent an hour or so arguing with the guy on the phone who repeatedly kept telling my husband that it was his fault. He said how can this be my fault your office told me what the bill was I paid it and now your telling me your office was wrong?

Finally the guy told him for $150.00 bux he would turn the service back on but the total balance was like $300.00. So he hangs up, goes into the office, where the office tells him the bill is only $150.00 and if he pays that then our balance will be paid in full. Well he pays the bill (the amount agreed to on the phone) comes home with the receipt number and the office workers name, and calls comcast back.

He explains to the same guy from before what the office told him and asks why he is being told 2 different amounts. Eventually it was discovered that there was an error in comcast's billing software, which caused our cable to be shut off and that the bill was in fact the $300.00 and not $150.00 as we had been told by the lady at the office.

In the end our service was restored. But of course not before the guy on the phone says "Well you have to admit that this is partially your fault for not keeping your bill up"........talk about ****** customer service.