PDA

View Full Version : ipods and ubuntu

dioltas
August 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Ok, so i finally sold out and bought an ipod touch ( i know, i feel dirty).

I know theres a few posts similiar to this already but I wanted to do a poll.

What do you guys think is the best software for transferring music/video to ipod? I spent a lot on the thing, so I'm hoping to get full functionality out of it. I've been using ubuntu for a while and won't go back to windows! The ipod hasnt arrived yet btw.

I hope I've covered most of the most popular options in the poll. I realise aswell that a lot will depend on which media players people prefer, I like rythmbox so if I can get that working well I'll probably go with it. As a last resort I've thought about repartitioning my hard drive, so that I've got about 32 Gb FAT for music, 10 Gb for windows with itunes and the remaining 38 Gb for ubuntu.

Thanks for the help.

nickgaydos
August 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
In order to use the iPod touch, you will have to jailbreak it. I have one and I use my Windows home computer to do all the stuff I need to do. If I jailbreak it I KNOW I will mess it up.

unca.paka
August 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Jailbreaking your ipod touch is pretty simple, heres a link
http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/ipod/touch/jailbreak/

As for getting it setup in linux, heres a pretty good how-to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

Not sure about syncing w/Rythmbox though, as I use amarok. Pretty sure someone has got it working though.

dioltas
August 24th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the links. Should be helpful. Not really afraid of jailbreaking it if I have to. Seems to be fairly easy to fix if it goes wrong anyway. Im gonna just have to try out a few different programs till I find one I like..

Dremora
August 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Rhythmbox sucks, I don't know why it's still there when Banshee is so much better.

SuperSonic4
August 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I use amarok to sync it although sometimes I just use windows instead

b3n87
August 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
being a tech geek i'd quite like an iPhone. I think its gonna be quite crude and "hackish" getting it to work im guessing is messy

b3n87
August 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Rhythmbox sucks, I don't know why it's still there when Banshee is so much better.

Rythmbox FTW

hopkinsjeni
August 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I like Songbird myself, the new add-ons let you import your itunes library from Windows as well, awesome!

ghostandmachine
August 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
+1 Songbird. Never had any problems. And I loves it!

dioltas
August 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Songbird? Missed that one. Should have had an "other" option aswell. Oh well. Had a look at the songbird website, no support for ipod touch yet so seems like its not an option for me. Looks good though otherwise.

hopkinsjeni
August 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Have a look at this:
http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12
it's an add-on for songbird, it works with my iPod so you never know it could work with the touch iPod. I can't remember the differences with the touch from the regular iPod but it could work

Sam
August 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
rythmbox ftw

+1

kostkon
August 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You forgot to put Floola (http://www.floola.com/) as an option.

Kabezon
August 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Floola is the best: artwork, playlists, music, videos, photos, podcasts.

nick09
August 25th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Songbird and it even wipes your Ipod to run the base firmware!

fjf
August 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
www.rockbox.org

billgoldberg
August 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Banshee uses Mono which is linked to Novell which is linked to Microsoft.

kpkeerthi
August 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
ipod + rockbox + rsync

dioltas
August 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
So long as my ipod has firmware under version 2.0 it seems ill be ok.
See here. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone#Firmware%202.0%20and%202.0.1%20will%20not%2 0sync)
Thanks for that guide btw unca.paka. Seems good.

I'd say so long as the firmware is older that that it shouldnt be too hard to get it working with any of the other apps. And jailbreaking it seems like a good idea anyway even if I was using it under windows.

I've been thinking about getting an external harddrive for backups etc, if I did I could just put all my music onto the hard drive, plug it into a windows box and use itunes. Dont think rockbox supports touch at all yet, but definitely an option for normal ipods. Flooda looks cool too, I like the way it runs from the ipod. No need for any extra software.

Edit: Is it possible to add options to the poll after submission, i.e. flooda, songbird and rockbox?

ooobuntooo
August 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
gtkPod is the greatest iPod management tool for Linux!
Without it, I would still be using iTunes.

picpak
August 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I got an iPod classic recently; I use gtkpod to sync my songs and I might try doing it in Amarok.

Quick question though: if I sync with gtkpod, and then sync with Amarok, will I end up with duplicates? Or will Amarok already know what I've got?

Sinkingships7
August 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
+1 songbird. Never had any problems. And i loves it!

+1

Glucklich
August 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
+1 Rhythmbox. "*tara ta ta ta* I'm lovin' it".

sanjit
December 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, I own an iPod (Black 120 Classic). Amarok works best for it. Floola is a better manager, by far, but it isn't very stable (Even the segmentation faults I've gotten haven't been consistent.)

BEST SOLUTION: Get another, more open device.

jocheem67
December 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Someone gave me an iPod shuffle as a present.
I'm using gtkpod now, but are there alternatives?
Rhythmbox doesn't seem to work.

rony474
December 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
i use hipo ipod management for my ipod shuffle .. working nice on my ubuntu 64bit ..

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Mono.

Flynn555
December 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
i vote Exaile. (for gnome, or Amarok for kde)

i always have loved Amarok but it doesn't blend well with the gnome interface...so when i saw Exaile it was like a dream come true. :D

not sure about the ipod touch but my 30gb photo works out of the box with Amarok and Exaile...

Metallion
December 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Can anyone explain me what this jailbreak hack actually is? I've seen loads and loads of posts advising to do it or explaining how to do it but never one explaining what it is.

Dethv
December 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I use Rhythmbox!