PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Earth

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hello

I have been trying to install Google Earth and I am having problems. I have tried downloading the GoogleEarthLinux.bin file from Google and installing that, and I have also tried installing from the Medibuntu repository using Synaptic. I have tried version 4.3 and 4.2.

In all cases, the installation appears to go fine. However, when I try to run it, it gets as far as the splash screen (and the tab on the panel at the bottom says "initialising") and then goes no further. My computer still runs fine, I'm not having the problem I have seen reported where your computer logs itself out. It's just that the program never loads any further than this, and I have to force a quit.

Does anyone know what the problem is? My initial thought is that it might be something to do with the video card, but I don't really know. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution for me?

Thanks

Kathryn

billgoldberg
August 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hello

I have been trying to install Google Earth and I am having problems. I have tried downloading the GoogleEarthLinux.bin file from Google and installing that, and I have also tried installing from the Medibuntu repository using Synaptic. I have tried version 4.3 and 4.2.

In all cases, the installation appears to go fine. However, when I try to run it, it gets as far as the splash screen (and the tab on the panel at the bottom says "initialising") and then goes no further. My computer still runs fine, I'm not having the problem I have seen reported where your computer logs itself out. It's just that the program never loads any further than this, and I have to force a quit.

Does anyone know what the problem is? My initial thought is that it might be something to do with the video card, but I don't really know. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution for me?

Thanks

Kathryn

Open a terminal (applications -> accessories -> terminal).

Enter this code:

googleearth

And post the errors you get.

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi there

No errors, it just fails to do anything.

Hopefully I have managed to attach a screenshot...this was taken 10 mins after I set it to run, it just wasn't doing anything!

K

neurostu
August 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The best way to download google earth is to download:
googleearth-package.

It will build a deb out of the .bin and install it correctly..

try getting googleeath-package using synaptic or apt-get and see how that works....

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I remember trying to install Google Earth several months ago and having the exact same problem with it freezing on the splash screen. I ended up just giving up on it, but I'll try again right now and let you know how it goes.

pengin
August 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Move the googleearth.bin file to your home folder, open a terminal and type ls to check the bin files in your home folder, if it is type:
$chmod 770 GoogleEarthLinux.bin
then type
$sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
The best way to download google earth is to download:
googleearth-package.

It will build a deb out of the .bin and install it correctly..

try getting googleeath-package using synaptic or apt-get and see how that works....

I installed this, but I didn't know how to make it work so I uninstalled it again....

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Move the googleearth.bin file to your home folder, open a terminal and type ls to check the bin files in your home folder, if it is type:
then type

Is there any way I can do this without moving the bin file? I am reluctant to move it. I am really anal about keeping my desktop and home folder as clean as I can so I can't screw things up (something I am good at!).

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
then type

Hey thanks, this worked for me. For some reason my screen flickers when I use Google Earth, but it also flickers when I preview screensavers, so I think it's an unrelated problem.

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Is there any way I can do this without moving the bin file? I am reluctant to move it. I am really anal about keeping my desktop and home folder as clean as I can so I can't screw things up (something I am good at!).

As far as I know, you can delete the .bin file after you install Google Earth. At least I did and it still seems to be working fine.

billgoldberg
August 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
If you have compiz fusion running, disable it.

You can do that with this command.

metacity --replace

Then try again.

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM

metacity --replace

Then try again.

Whoa! I'm going to assume you were talking to me, because when I replaced compiz with metacity, all of my random screen flickering went away. Any idea what causes that? And is there anyway to do that without turning off my beautiful compiz?

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
As far as I know, you can delete the .bin file after you install Google Earth. At least I did and it still seems to be working fine.

Doesn't make much difference...I just tried this and it isn't working for me anyway :(

billgoldberg
August 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Whoa! I'm going to assume you were talking to me, because when I replaced compiz with metacity, all of my random screen flickering went away. Any idea what causes that? And is there anyway to do that without turning off my beautiful compiz?

Compiz requires compositing from your video card, and if you have bad drivers that might cause issues in some apps (games, google earth, compiz fusion 3d effects, ...).

Compiz Fusion is a window manager, as is metacity.

You can only use one at the time.

However metacity has some compositing, but nothing near that of compiz fusion.

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Compiz requires compositing from your video card, and if you have bad drivers that might cause issues in some apps (games, google earth, compiz fusion 3d effects, ...).

Compiz Fusion is a window manager, as is metacity.

You can only use one at the time.

However metacity has some compositing, but nothing near that of compiz fusion.

Hmm, I recently reinstalled Ubuntu Hardy. I think I'm using the same restricted ATI drivers as I was before, but I never noticed the whole screen flickering thing the first time around. I'll have to reinstall some games and see if they flicker, too. That would be a bummer.

boombox1387
August 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Doesn't make much difference...I just tried this and it isn't working for me anyway :(

Still freezes on the splash screen?

I'm having some problems of my own. Google Earth is up and running but there isn't actually an Earth, just a bunch of stars. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe I shouldn't have deleted that .bin file... ?

kathrync
August 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Still freezes on the splash screen?

I'm having some problems of my own. Google Earth is up and running but there isn't actually an Earth, just a bunch of stars. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe I shouldn't have deleted that .bin file... ?

Yeah, still freezing on the splash screen :( This might solve your problem though? http://paulsiu.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/earth-is-missing-after-google-earth-linux-installation/ Good luck!

kathrync
August 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Bump...any more thoughts? Problem still not solved...

barbedsaber
August 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS, CAUTION, BLIND LEADING BLIND
I think I read somewhere that googleearth sometimes misses out the earth part, so all you see is stars.
A quick workaround is to run it like this
sudo googleearth
hope that helps :)

silkstone
August 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
If you enable the medibuntu repos, googleearth is available through Synaptic - no need to install it manually.

boombox1387
August 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think I read somewhere that googleearth sometimes misses out the earth part, so all you see is stars.
sudo googleearth

Thanks, the article that kathrync suggested also made it sound like an ownership problem. I'd prefer not to always run it as root, though, so I'll try a "chown" sometime when I have a bit of free time to mess around.

Doubt this solves any of your problems though, kathrync. I don't know a whole lot about these sorts of things, but I'll let you know if I figure out anything that may be relevant.

BGrigg
September 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM
sudo googleearth

Helped me! Thanks!

Watchtow3r
September 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Hey, I haven't read any of the responses and I can't help you on installing lol but when you do get Google Earth make sure to turn off the "atmosphere" setting under View... for some reason it makes it run slow as molasses on Ubuntu. Also if you have the Compiz-Fusion icon, switch to Metacity. I always do this whenever I'm viewing any video in a big window... My video messes up (flickers) if don't. All the best!

Watchtow3r
September 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Try this:

wget http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin && chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin && ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

I think this is the command I used to download it... either way i didn't do it off of google's website since I think it didn't work.

Btw thats a command I just don't know how to make it in the box.

Watchtow3r
September 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM

Yeah I always have this problem. Also on any videos, like youtube with fullscreen. Download from package manager the Compiz Fusion Icon. It lets you turn it on and off easily when u need it.

DFHIII
October 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
This procedure worked. I am not sure what I did, but it did work.

Dan H.

LowSky
October 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hey thanks, this worked for me. For some reason my screen flickers when I use Google Earth, but it also flickers when I preview screensavers, so I think it's an unrelated problem.

thats a compiz/opengl issue, turn off compiz and the flickering will stop

mulga
October 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM

metacity --replace

Then try again.
This works really well, however I have to do it every time I reboot, would uninstalling Compiz fix this and would doing so cause any other problems. I am using the ATI drivers

TideMan
October 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I'll ask the question I had in its own thread